Where to even begin...

ToxicManchild

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there, new guy here. No stranger to wrenching on cars, have some experience with bikes. Built an ironhead and have been messing with a Suzuki for some time now. Got this xs for a song recently but as you can tell it's missing everything. I have a frame, new set of wheels and tires, the brakes, forks , (guy is dropping off the top triple tree in a week or so), the harness, and a seemingly complete motor. Almost forgot it's a 79. Would like to do a simple as can be stripped down chopper. tC Bros weld on, rigid mounted seat, kick only, maybe single carb, hopefully a double coil, that old song and dance. Going to knock up a motor stand this afternoon. Any tips, pointers, or otherwise sage advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20231204_131219040_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231204_131219040_HDR.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20231204_160005899.jpg
    IMG_20231204_160005899.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20231204_171606319.jpg
    IMG_20231204_171606319.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 77
Welcome from the Catskills.
Plenty of info and inspiration here.
Chop Source makes a great engine stand, check the tech section.
Good luck on your build, they really are great bikes!

I'm $1K into a refurb for a bike I traded $300 in Gun parts I was not using for.
It was WAY more complete than what you have there. As a matter of fact, it only cost me about $100 of that $1K to get to the point of Running the Engine. About $100 was changing the seat which was not required. But just giving you a comparison.
I would bet you are at the very least in the $1500+ range at depending on what your doing and Can always be more.
Who knows, maybe you can find a local $500 parts bike to blend the 2 together.

Are the tires usable? see a date code on them?

Yes, I normally stop keeping track once I hit around a grand, lol. But, that money is spent over the course of several, sometimes many more, years, so it's not that bad. And on the bright side, if it were any other bike, it would cost much more. Parts for this bike are plentiful and cheap compared to other bikes.

Thanks for the concern guys, and the welcomes. This is intended to be a very long term project so even though I'm poor it will be a bit here and a bit there. Tires are good to go thank goodness. Motor is mounted up on the stand now. Has compression so things are looking up. The valves are filthy so I'll start with a calm top end refresh. Once it's tax season or I get a windfall I'll order up the hard tail so I can get the motor mounted in the frame and start plumbing and wiring to test regular function of the mechanics.

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_163959609.jpg
    IMG_20231208_163959609.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 59
Hey there, new guy here. No stranger to wrenching on cars, have some experience with bikes. Built an ironhead and have been messing with a Suzuki for some time now. Got this xs for a song recently but as you can tell it's missing everything. I have a frame, new set of wheels and tires, the brakes, forks , (guy is dropping off the top triple tree in a week or so), the harness, and a seemingly complete motor. Almost forgot it's a 79. Would like to do a simple as can be stripped down chopper. tC Bros weld on, rigid mounted seat, kick only, maybe single carb, hopefully a double coil, that old song and dance. Going to knock up a motor stand this afternoon. Any tips, pointers, or otherwise sage advice?
If you can work your way around an old Ironhead, these tough old XS-650s are gonna be a walk in the park for you.

I have a 77 Ironhead...theyre definitely a different animal.

I think you may actually have a 1980 model there, or at least the motor anyway. I don't see a points wire pigtail coming out of the points cover, and it has the later single outlet engine breather. You'll know for sure when you pull the points cover off, and the round alternator cover on the left side cover.

I think you may actually have a 1980 model there, or at least the motor anyway. I don't see a points wire pigtail coming out of the points cover, and it has the later single outlet engine breather. You'll know for sure when you pull the points cover off, and the round alternator cover on the left side cover.
I found that odd myself as the numbers on the motor match those on the frame and there was a TCI box in the harness. This thing has seen it's fair share of fools it seems so who even knows. Waiting on some JIS screwdrivers in the mail and I'll take a look. (learned my lesson stripping out a few screws on an xj750 Seca.Not this bike thank you)

. . . This is intended to be a very long term project so even though I'm poor it will be a bit here and a bit there . . .
Having plenty of time is good, you'll be able to work out what you need, track down from various sources, think about where you are taking the project. In effect you have found a new hobby. So be organised, keep motivated, enjoy your new hobby and you'll have a unique motorbike at the end of it.

Back