Who here has a 50 year old bike that runs and is rideable ?

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The oldest of our venerable XS650’s will hit that golden 50 year mark this year. That is something of an accomplishment , I believe , to have a bike that old in serviceable condition. Someone can correct me if I have this wrong, but the XS1 went into production in October 1969. In the not too distant future, a lot of us will have 50 year old bikes.
So my question is, “ Who among us has a 50 year old running, riding, motorcycle? “ it doesn’t have to be a Yamaha.
If you have a rideable XS1 please go ahead and throw that in. Oh.....and photos or it didn’t happen!
( By the way, I searched google for a photo, and look who popped up right away! )
2071A8F3-1F62-4922-9D16-4C2114F212BA.jpeg

Mailman is dead-on: this coming year marks 50 years of the Yamaha 650 twin.

...and I hope he will forgive the hijack as I respectfully remind you that the CVMG Paris 2020 Rally has the Yamaha 650 Twin as its featured marque in recognition of that half century of motorcycling fun that it has provided us!

I just checked and the 2020 Rally website isn’t up just yet, but from what I have been told, the event will be held in Paris Ontario as follows:

- June 19-21 / 2020 (that’s Friday about noon till Sunday afternoon).

The CVMG Rally attracts thousands of visitors each year and many many bikes. I’d love to see our Yamahas really dominate the event next June. There are some local and nearby hotels and camping is available on-site. Paris is a very nice little town that is located southwest of Toronto and northwest of Niagara Falls (it is within about 70 miles from the US border at Buffalo and around 150 miles east of the Detroit-Windsor border).

Check it out at: www.cvmg.ca

Wow.. me and the miss's …. about 3 yrs ago.. SW Wisconsin near a Amish farm. Wild Cat rally.
Most of my bikes are.. over 50.... and they perform well within their related capabilities. The Xs1.. even two up.. on the easy back roads gets the job done. My 71' Ambassador... the Italian farm implement… prods along at 65 with our gear and the wifey. Old bikes are just plain ..fun.

Good Golly! That means my old '60 BMW R-69 will be 60 y.o.! My SG will be 40 y.o. I still think the XS 650 is the King(Queen)? of the secondary highways.

Wow.. me and the miss's …. about 3 yrs ago.. SW Wisconsin near a Amish farm. Wild Cat rally.
Most of my bikes are.. over 50.... and they perform well within their related capabilities. The Xs1.. even two up.. on the easy back roads gets the job done. My 71' Ambassador... the Italian farm implement… prods along at 65 with our gear and the wifey. Old bikes are just plain ..fun.

Ha! Yeah, you were the first guy I thought about when I posed the question. I know how much old iron you have.

My XS2 is just almost 48 years old. The oldest bike I’ve owned, I’m excited to think that soon, I’ll be in the 50 year old club! :)

...wow, talk about kewl old bikes...i bet they fun to ride too...can you specify models and year ...the 3rd one also, what is the gauge by the key?
...first one has disc brake on front...idea for me for my 68 cubbie for stoppies...

Last edited:
The gauge by the key is the ammeter/ampmeter.Handy place to put it I know, can’t see it while your riding.
1949 Sunbeam S7. 1956/7 BSA B33. 1960 Royal Enfield Meteor Minor. 1967 Honda CD175. 1968 Triumph Trophy.

What a nice collection! Thanks for posting those!
I know all of them except that first green BSA, what model is that? Did you add the disc brake?
It is a 1956 BSA B33 500cc. Bitsa. It was reimported from Uganda about 15 yrs ago. I bought two from the guy that brought them back.It’s a long story.
I rebuilt/restored and fitted the Honda forks.

Back