Why is my new fork seal leaking?

Norton7d

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Just started riding after my elbow grease restoration...one of my fork seals is leaking at a good rate.
Why can a new seal leak, poor install?
I lifted up my cap and under was the max amount of standing oil on the horizontal surfaces and ridges after i found the small puddle on the garage floor.
I see part#5 is loose when I lift the cap, is it to be tight on top of the fork seal...just tryimg to figure out why a new seal can leak.
Both forks tubes after a ride do have oil rings as "high water" marks, is this typical or the result of failing fork seals?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-13-16-49-34.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-13-16-49-34.png
    343.1 KB · Views: 115
That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense does it? If you had really worn fork tubes I could see how you could get a little minor weeping , but nothing like the amount of oil you’re seeing. They really are a simple design to install, not that many parts.
86B9A6B2-B11E-414C-8DA8-9E38EE1CDF64.jpeg

Install the seal,
492D0232-005D-48D1-BE35-F58CFE8D9689.jpeg 1325F4DD-AE87-4E91-BD3A-7AC30A4ABBE9.jpeg

Place the retaining ring on top
DA9F799D-949F-4726-83F8-DB8AE6A66A8A.jpeg
And finish with the snap ring
3EAFFFBA-0582-4191-B24E-9E776FED7FC7.jpeg

I don’t think it should be loose in there, it’s pretty close tolerances. It makes me wander if they are the right seals?

The retaining ring goes between the fork seal and clip, as you pointed out and I assume it is freel to play and spin?
It is only there to stop the seal from backing out, and its held in by the clip, I dont think I did anything wrong during reassembly.
Just dont know why a new fork seal would leak at this rate.
I did put in 7 OZ of oil as everybody recommends, too much?

The retaining ring goes between the fork seal and clip, as you pointed out and I assume it is freel to play and spin?
It is only there to stop the seal from backing out, and its held in by the clip, I dont think I did anything wrong during reassembly.
Just dont know why a new fork seal would leak at this rate.
I did put in 7 OZ of oil as everybody recommends, too much?

Sounds right, that’s a head scratcher. :umm:

Yes, it's possible your early forks can't take that much oil. I would check the oil level by measuring how far it is from the tops of the tubes, springs removed, forks fully compressed. The rule of thumb is to set it at about 6". I recently removed some oil from my '83 forks. They weren't leaking but the ride was a bit harsh over the little bumps. I had 7 ounces in there and that put the oil levels at about 5 1/4". So, I drew some out and set them to 6". I also shortened my homemade preload spacers by about 1/4". I'm happy to say these two small changes have improved things.

Thanks 5T, will do, one could the fork(s) is working on their solution.
Very old thread here but I rode my bike a very short distance today, under 10 miles each way, lots of lights. Reach my destination and both tubes have oil rings, this is after even letting out some oil, just in case the 76 doesn't like 7 OZ. When I got home, I could tell I lost enough again that some was blown back onto the header pipe, which of course resulted in a few curse words.
I barely ride my bike but when I do, this kind of stuff pisses me off. Can i go too low on oil and hurt something? Just considering pulling some more out, as I'm not in the mood to drop the forks, again!

Thanks....again.

I had a similar problem once on a CB750; turned-out that Honda had changed seal dimensions mid-year on a '71 model and the supplier thought the seal was the same '69-'71 - twas not. I really should have caught it as the seal went in lower leg real easy. Fit, but the seal driver only needed one tap. Dimensions are typically embossed on the top of seal, I'd check it again.

Oh, and too low a level can damage fork internals

Last edited:
Very old thread here but I rode my bike a very short distance today, under 10 miles each way, lots of lights. Reach my destination and both tubes have oil rings, this is after even letting out some oil, just in case the 76 doesn't like 7 OZ. When I got home, I could tell I lost enough again that some was blown back onto the header pipe, which of course resulted in a few curse words.
I barely ride my bike but when I do, this kind of stuff pisses me off. Can i go too low on oil and hurt something? Just considering pulling some more out, as I'm not in the mood to drop the forks, again!

Thanks....again.

When I had my 76 I ran 7oz of 10w oil in my forks with preload spacer on the springs. Never had an issue.

Maybe the spring/ring came off your seal/s and it’s not quite sealing right.

When I had my 76 I ran 7oz of 10w oil in my forks with preload spacer on the springs. Never had an issue.

Maybe the spring/ring came off your seal/s and it’s not quite sealing right.

So I assume you mean the internal wound spring located inside on each seal?
Well, I guess uts possible but I already replaced one of these seals and the new / old one wasn't missing the spring, or at least I don't recall anything odd.
I dont recall what brand Im running but I remember taking the recommendation of guys here. Maybe I can find an old email from the seller.
Nevertheless, I will try to maintain composure while I search for answers.
And on a side-note, 76 is a one year only for some of the internals, and harder to crack open then 77 and later, from what I recall.

Thanks again
UPDATE
All Balls was the fork seal, according to old emails

Last edited:
So I assume you mean the internal wound spring located inside on each seal?
Well, I guess uts possible but I already replaced one of these seals and the new / old one wasn't missing the spring, or at least I don't recall anything odd.
I dont recall what brand Im running but I remember taking the recommendation of guys here. Maybe I can find an old email from the seller.
Nevertheless, I will try to maintain composure while I search for answers.
And on a side-note, 76 is a one year only for some of the internals, and harder to crack open then 77 and later, from what I recall.

Thanks again
UPDATE
All Balls was the fork seal, according to old emails

You are correct, that’s what I meant.

Could have got some bum seals.

All balls tends to be pretty good but I’ve seen their bears come from multiple countries of origin. Could be the same with the seals??? Had some bad ones sneak through.

AllBalls normally work fine. I think you have a 35mm ID seal on 34mm fork tube though. Got calipers to measure?

76 https://www.allballsracing.com/55-133.html
77 https://www.allballsracing.com/55-108.html

I do have calipers.
I have 34MM tubes.
I have a new unused seal from the last kit I purchased, it can be spread up to 35MM but that's cause its rubber, resistance really starts starts around 34MM.
The small clear wrapping has numbers on it of 35-1042.
The d
Seal itself has lots of characters, almost indistinguishable. I will try to contact AB, maybe they can help.

Thank you

UPDATE
I sent an email to All Balls, with all the particulars, hoping they respond

I do have calipers.
I have 34MM tubes.
I have a new unused seal from the last kit I purchased, it can be spread up to 35MM but that's cause its rubber, resistance really starts starts around 34MM.
The small clear wrapping has numbers on it of 35-1042.
The d
Seal itself has lots of characters, almost indistinguishable. I will try to contact AB, maybe they can help.

Thank you

UPDATE
I sent an email to All Balls, with all the particulars, hoping they respond
[UPDATE
I called All Balls, they said the part I have is for 34MM...so I guess I'm back to square one !

What does Mikes sell, garbage or quality seals?

The 35-1042 does indicate a seal 34 x 46 x 10.5 per AB. So the next potential issue, given your symptoms is OD to lower tube ID. You may have a 48 ID @ the seal landing requiring seal 35 x 48 x 11 (AB 55-108). Sounds impossible, but that's what I found on the CB750K1

Attachments

• retro seal 46mm.jpg
    retro seal 46mm.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 58
  • all balls seal 48mm.jpg
    all balls seal 48mm.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 55
If I recall, these seals were quite snug when installing, is that what you are questioning?
Could they be snug but still be undersized, it takes work to them to come out?

I just pulled the dust caps up, oil has puddled on both sides.

Attachments

• 20220711_120415.jpg
    20220711_120415.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220711_120427.jpg
    20220711_120427.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 67
Yes, from your description, you have a serious problem that is rather unique. Not knowing the entire history of the bike, I'm suggesting verifying the correctness of all parts involved in keeping oil where it's supposed to be.

Back