Wiring a mikesxs.com speedo

Captmilk

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Quick question, I have a Yamaha xs650 1981. I have everything else wired right to the new speedo but the turn signals. I can only get one side to blink on the speedo at a time. Any ideas? There is one set of wires coming from the speedo and four from the wire harness

On the 81's they only used one light for both sides of the turn signals. If your new speedo has two lights for the turn signals, wire one light to the right side, one to the left.
To hook them in just hook the hot wires for the speedo lights to the hot wires at each front turn signal in the headlight bucket. Ground to the black wire in the bucket.

This diagram shows what you need to do. It's for a different bike, so the bike side of the wiring schematic will be different, but it shows the general idea. You'll need to run two diodes to keep the voltage from back feeding through the other turn signal circuit. The diode number is IN4937. Found mine at radio shack when I did this the last time I wired my bike.

Another option, which I did on my mini speedo, is since the oil light (red) isn't used, I wired up the right turn signal to the yellow light, and the left to the red light to eliminate having to use diodes inline. Hope this helps.

J

Attachments

• speedo wiring.jpg
    speedo wiring.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 133
I wired te oil light as the other turn signal light. So I have two seperate lights for my turn signals. If you wanted to use one light only, you need to wire in 2 diodes so that the power coming in from one side will cause the light to blink, but not go to the other side. I did this on a modified Vulcan build I did before and it worked perfectly.

Back