Wiring problems.

Trevor9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to sort out some of my wiring. The crimp connectors I have (red,blue, yellow) do not match the Japanese ones.
Does any one know what type/size they are? Maybe even a supplier?

Thanks for that. I have already bought a kit like this for an XS wiring loom on eBay, but they do not have the correct size bullet connectors. They do look original, but you never know what PO's get up to. lol

If your harness isnt original how would anyone know what connectors you need??

Sounds like yours are insulated connectors. Try Auto Electrical Supplies or Vehicle Wiring Products and 3.9mm non-insulated ones. You WILL need suitable crimps though.
PM me for more details if you like.

The tech menu Is for this ..........has a couple of Tutorials made up especially for this with pics and every conceivable problem addressed.

Posting vague information without pics and expecting to get.................:shrug:

As Mr Skull tells it ..It depends
The type bikes I am into -- I can suggest to skip the connectors and solder the wires together
With some shrink protection
Perhaps not every wire but most . I have had problems with the stock connectors now and then
Water corroding--- barbs not where they should. Sometimes needs service grinding and connector grease
I have never had a broken wire that i can recall but a lot of problems with connectors and switches

It is cheaper -- Saves space -- And is better working in my view

If your harness isnt original how would anyone know what connectors you need??
I don't remember say my harness was not OEM, just that it might not be. Like any motorbike of said vintage any thing can have been altered or changed by PO's. Also just said the connectors looked original, because they were from the front light brake switch.

I'm not sure if this helps you, so feel free to ignore me, but...

I have built multiple project (car and motorcycle related), and when removing stock connectors (or having no harness to begin with) I've had great success with these weatherproof units: LINK

You can use your existing wiring, or set them up with whatever colors work best for your application. They come in all sorts of configurations (2-wire, 3-wire, etc.) and they're cheap. My cafe build utilized a 5-pin for the entire rear lighting, which cleaned it up dramatically, whereas the headlight and front signals needed to be kept separate so I used one 3-pin and two 2-pin for those.

What's also nice is that, should you want to swap out a component, they're cheap enough that you don't need to cut/solder anything. Just use 1/2 of a connector on the new component and toss (or save) the other half.

side note: the link provided is just for one size. they have TONS of options.

Back