Wow...A NOS XS-1 Fuel Tank on eBay??!!

For that price one would think he would throw in a couple tank emblems. cap and petcocks, eh?

How much was it?

Geeezzz - I'll bet the box was what really cost the big bucks. ;)

I tape off or razor back the paint at the neck and petcocks then use epoxy to seal the line, otherwise gas seeps into the porous primer and lifts the paint! If I could find boxes maybe these are factory paint? LOLView attachment 95079 View attachment 95080 View attachment 95081 View attachment 95082

And there they are, hanging on the damned wall.............
I would love to be the fly on that wall. The problem with repainting just gas tank /side covers is then the new fresh tins dont have the same "patina" as a rider 71. Those 71 parts would hang proud on my wall anytime

Last edited:
So Gary....are all those tins still hanging on your wall?
So..what's your address bro?
IMG_4254.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry mailman they won't fit a 76, 'sides you got great paint already. That reminded me to remind the painter; he's still "working on" my 73 tins, going on year two now. Good, fast, cheap pick one, LOL.

Nice XS1 (???) tank. Like you, Vince, also skeptical.
Man, I hate to do this, but would have a few concerns.

Member txxs has posted some nice pics of his Oceaniana (?) green '71 XS1F "double-striped" tank. My old parts lists show the 00-01 tank number and paint code as the '70 XS1. I have NO part/code data on the various 70-72 paints, except for the basic 3, green-single-stripe, gold-double-stripes, red-white-stripes. So, this is still a learning area for me. So, that double-striped tank, with that single-stripe 00-01 number seems odd.

Back in the '70s, I, and the Honda parts guys, had noticed some subtle differences between some Honda *as installed/delivered* body parts, versus separately-ordered spare parts. Sometimes had to explain these things to customers, usually for crash repairs. So, I wonder if there may have been a similar *variation* in Yamaha's parts stream.

Otherwise, there's a few items that caught my eye.

The underside of the tank, petcock sealing surfaces. Our new Honda tanks came with unpainted and taped-over petcock sealing surfaces, like on that NOS white police tank posted by BobbedSled. Looking closely at the original eBay pics, I could see some mysterious marks underlying the paint in those zones, as though there may have been a history of previous petcock install. There's also a strange scratchmark at the mount tab, the exposed metal area doesn't seem to show factory primer the same as I've seen before.
View attachment 95070 View attachment 95071

The roughness around the corner recesses and tank surface alongside the opening reminds me of the fuel/corrosion surfaces I ran into when prepping my tank.
View attachment 95072

Can't quite put my finger on it, but something doesn't look right with the pinstripe masking termination area.
View attachment 95073

Pinstriping looks a little off, at the right front.
View attachment 95074

I suppose one could carefully/precisely measure the pinstripe widths, see if they closely match metric, or english widths.

The topside of the tank has very slight surface undulations.
Also, seeing more orange-peel and less gloss than I recall of the period candys.
View attachment 95075

The front mount nubs are missing some paint, no evidence of exposed factory primer/sealer basecoat.

View attachment 95076

Yeah, picky, picky, picky.
Probably shot myself in the foot...

It is not an original 1970 XS1 tank as they had one stripe not two.
The 1971 XS1F (Australia) came in the Candy Green colour with 2 stripes (as well as the more common Candy Orange with 2 stripes). I have some of them.

Yamaha also used the 1971 "two-stripe" version of the green tank as a replacement / spare part for the 1970 tank when the original ones were used up.

However although the box looks authentic something looks suspicious about that tank - maybe a new but repainted????

Still waiting on the 73 paint....
Hi Gary,
best you go reclaim your parts from that guy, done or not.
My neighbor had his Model A pickup sit for 3 years in a "bargain" paint deal.
Finally got the thing back on the road in time for just one ride before his dementia kicked in.
And there's none of us getting any younger.
Just sayin'

Back