Wrong coil??

TGOOD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok guys, simple question I hope. Is this coil not the right one for my setup ?
IMG_20170312_171935417.jpg
IMG_20170312_171922555.jpg

Hi TGOOD,
best I can tell from the photo is that it's a dual-wire coil and perhaps.
Depends on it's Ohms rating and what's firing it.
The Devil is in the details.
&BTW, those pods ain't the best for diaphragm carbs, swap them for Unipods.

That coil looks like Mike's XS's green monster coil. What ignition are you using? If a stock TCI or a Pamco it will work fine.
Leo

Yeah Leo it's all stock ignition. The higher ohms just worried me. I've done been through everything on this girl. Still can't get her to act right.

As fredintoon said those pods suck, pun intended, Those short tapered pleated element pods cause to much turbulence in the air flow through your carbs. This causes a poor vacuum signal for the carb slides. This can cause all sorts of trouble.
Long straight foam filters are a much better option.
Being a chopper I assume you run short open pipes, these lead to tuning issues too.
Have you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf ? This is our carb bible. It has a "Tuning for Mods" section. This mat help with your carb issues.
Leo

As fredintoon said those pods suck, pun intended, Those short tapered pleated element pods cause to much turbulence in the air flow through your carbs. This causes a poor vacuum signal for the carb slides. This can cause all sorts of trouble.
Long straight foam filters are a much better option.
Being a chopper I assume you run short open pipes, these lead to tuning issues too.
Have you read www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf ? This is our carb bible. It has a "Tuning for Mods" section. This mat help with your carb issues.
Leo
Leo, could u show a pic of filters or part #? Want to make sure I get the right ones.

I'm not crazy about those short UNI pods for a couple of reasons. First, I think they're too small to flow enough and second, the ends are capped. We put a set on a local guy's 650 and didn't have to re-jet. That tells me they aren't flowing much more, if any more, than the stock airbox. I prefer the 4" long open ended version. For your BS38s, that would be the UP-4200, or the UP-4200ST in a dual layer version. The 4200 has a 2" mounting flange I.D. which is a perfect slip fit on the BS38s.

On many hardtails, the upper tubes on the tail somewhat obstruct longer filter mounting. If you think that may be an issue, UNI has an angled version of these filters, the UP-4200AST. If you don't like the dual filter look that's not a problem. The red foam outer "sock" can simply be removed, leaving you with a normal plain black filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Filter-2-stage-Length-Up4200ast/dp/B000N5UCEG

This is the normal straight UP-4200 on my bike .....

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

That was my thinking with running a hardtail, needs filters that would fit. Also should add, I ran those filters with good results after rejetting, but that included a change to much smaller mufflers as well....

Yea,what they said. I have the dual layer set on my 75. The outer cover lessens the effect of water. It tends to shed it so the water doesn't restrict airflow as much.
Leo

Just remembered something. Back in my youth I had another 75. mostly stock but I tore off the stock air boxes and put on a set of those foam pods with the chrome cover on the end. Even had an internal spring to hold their shape. Under hard acceleration they would suck flat and choke out the carbs. I soon replaced with ones with out the chrome cap.
Leo

If that is the "Green Monster" coil from MikesXS part number 17-6810, then it has a tendency to short out internally if you operate the ignition for even a second with one spark plug wire disconnected. For that reason, use of the coil with a PAMCO ignition will void the PAMCO warranty, as stated in the installation instructions.

A better choice would be the 17-6822 or the "Ultimate" 17-6903 coil.

If that is the "Green Monster" coil from MikesXS part number 17-6810, then it has a tendency to short out internally if you operate the ignition for even a second with one spark plug wire disconnected. For that reason, use of the coil with a PAMCO ignition will void the PAMCO warranty, as stated in the installation instructions.

A better choice would be the 17-6822 or the "Ultimate" 17-6903 coil.
Pete
Trying to contact you about warranty on ignition?? What do I do to get thing started??

Back