Xs1 clutch recommendation

ragg66

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am working on a 71 xs, it is my first xs and I have not heard it run. I want to replace the original clutch before I start it, and there seems to be a ton of discussion on what to do. It’s going to be an occasional short ride bike not a daily or performance thing since I have many bikes. What is the easiest correct replacement clutch? It currently has the original 4 fiber and two aluminum discs in it now.
TIA
Ray

yup subbed a 77ish complete clutch into my 70 plug n play.
But nothing wrong with the stock clutch for an easy rider.

Thanks. Before I realized all the different clutches in these bikes I bought 341-16221-11-00 friction plates. They are metal not fiber. Does anyone know if these will work with my stock discs and basket without any mods?

When my XS2 clutch started slipping at Roebling Road Raceway, we added another steel and another fiber and shimmed all the springs with sparkplug washers and never touched it again for the rest of that season. YMMV

I'm not seeing that number
Thanks. Before I realized all the different clutches in these bikes I bought 341-16221-11-00 friction plates. They are metal not fiber. Does anyone know if these will work with my stock discs and basket without any mods?
I'm not seeing that part number anywhere. How about a link to what you bought.

It looks like they are for a 1979 xs650
IMG_5434.jpeg

How about a link to where you bought it.
Compare it to the friction plates in your clutch. Are they the same size? If the inner and outer diameters and thickness are the same, they should work.

Both the friction and steel plates are thicker on your early clutch compared to the later ones. The frictions are 3.5mm thick (later ones are only 3mm thick) and the steels are 1.6mm thick (later ones are only 1.4mm thick). I know it doesn't seem like much but add up the difference a stack of 6 makes and it is.

Yeah, I measured the discs and as you say the originals are 3.5mm and the metals are 3.0mm I guess I’ll have to keep looking. Now that I have a little more knowledge, hopefully I can find the right ones without wasting anymore money.

Back