Wanted - xs1 or xs2 or 73tx headlight.

_A-3603.jpg

Here's my patented method for retro-fitting 1970-1973 headlights. I perfected the method retro-fitting 6-volt Honda Express headlights, which I do the same way. The above bulb is an EIKO A-3603, a 12V, 25W/25W dual filament bulb. You can find an LED version of the same bulb which is probably about a hundred times brighter. (The 6-volt version of the same bulb is EIKO A-3625.)

DSC06789.jpg

With this method, you do not un-crimp and then glue and re-crimp the lens from the reflector, which sounds tedious to me. Instead, you go into the lens from the back. Here, I have removed the retaining ring and the underlying rubber washer from the back of the reflector. THIS WAS A MISTAKE!!! This was my first XS1 retrofit, so I'm learning...

DSC06791.jpg

THIS should have been step #1. Slice the base off the bulb with a Dremel.

DSC06793.jpg

Use a screwdriver, or a drift, or whatever, to break the bulb free from the base. It will fall into the reflector. Break it up into small enough shards that you can empty them out of the headlight when you hold it upside down and shake. Then blow out any residual dust with compressed air. In the pic, the collar is now separate, but again, I should have never done the initial un-crimp that I did in the first pic, and this should all be one piece, not two.

DSC06794.jpg

The EIKO bulb fits right in once the inside of the collar is cleaned up.

DSC06795.jpg

I've slotted the collar, and used a little JB Weld to glue the rubber washer back in.

DSC06796.jpg

I've re-crimped the retaining ring.

DSC06797.jpg

The slotted collar sections are folded over.

DSC06799.jpg

The EIKO bulb is soldered to the folded-over collar, and the wires are soldered on.

DSC06800.jpg

Done. Honestly, if I hadn't mistakenly uncrimped and then glued and re-crimped the retaining ring, this would have taken a stress-free 1/2 hour.
ONE CAVEAT: This retro-fit is designed to pass a vehicle inspection. It enables you to demonstrate to an inspector a high and low beam. It also allows other vehicles to see you at night. As for actually illuminating the road in front of you while you're riding -- well that's another matter. The new filaments will not be in the correct parabolic position within the reflector. It WILL throw a beam of light, but not necessarily focused like the original light bulb.

I don’t want to hijack this thread but I’m looking for the same thing, a headlight for my XS1. It’s 7 inches across and the Koito number is 110-31835. Yes you can get 7” sealed beams but I doubt you can pull those tabs for mounting to the trim ring off the back of the light, they look spot welded to me.

Another option that dawned on me was to rebuild the light but I ride at night and need to light up the road.

Last edited:
images.jpg
A modern 7" sealed beam fits right into the trim ring with three "W" clips. There is no need to alter anything.
If you want to buy an original headlight that has been retro-fitted with a modern bulb, I have a couple of different ones, including an H4. PM me.

View attachment 223661
A modern 7" sealed beam fits right into the trim ring with three "W" clips. There is no need to alter anything.
If you want to buy an original headlight that has been retro-fitted with a modern bulb, I have a couple of different ones, including an H4. PM me.
I haven’t taken the assembly completely apart yet but in that case wouldn’t I loose the ability to adjust my beam? Or does the new beam fit into another part that has the tabs for the trim ring? If you’ve got an incandescent retrofitted Koito I may be interested as my XS1 is full stock

DSC07389.JPG

DSC07391.JPG

Sealed beam held in with two "W" clips. Three would be better.
Yes, you lose the ability to adjust the beam side to side. Yes, I have two different original headlights with incandescent retrofits if you are interested.

Back