XS1 vs XS2 frame - which one to chop?

bowser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Plan on building a cafe/bobber and have the luxury of using either frame. Is one worth more than the other?

The XS1 frame is like half the weight of the XS2 frame.

I also have a matching engine block for the XS1 frame.

Bear in mind, this is in Australia and both frames are pretty rare

I hacked up an XS2 for my cafe racer. Didn't realize there was a difference in the frame from 71 to 72. Why is the earlier frame lighter?

I'm chopping up an XS2.. if you already have either frame just chop it.

Attachments

• 2012-07-28_21-33-54_943_null.jpg
    2012-07-28_21-33-54_943_null.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 134
Titles? but without matching number engines the collector value is limited, I would cut the 72 not the XS1

We don't have titles here in Aus, but I am led to believe from the previous owner both frames can be registered.

How do I tell if a frame is from a special?

Specials started in 78 and went to 84 They typically had mag wheels.

I would not cut that xs1, it will continue to go up in value as long as it isn't cut.

We don't have titles here in Aus, but I am led to believe from the previous owner both frames can be registered.

How do I tell if a frame is from a special?

Check the compliance plate for dates as as Gary has suggested & the xs650 prefix will also end in an "S".

Generally, the frames can be registered if they have the Australian compliance plate ( small alloy plate on the steering head) & the numbers on the plate match the frame number.

I cant say for certain if the xs1 & xs2 had these plates when new in Australia as this was about the time they were introduced. e.g. early z1 Kawasaki's had no plate.

not sure when it started but early models don't have the alloy neck plate. Both my 74 original bike and 74 frame doesn't have the plate but when i sold a 77 frame without the plate there was concerns the frame wasn't legal. The US market is so different to the Aussie, advice on the values and compliance/titles in US have no relevance to here. ........That's not saying they don't have any value at all:wink2:

You say an engine block, need more info for true value so it depends on what you have and to the motors condition and if it is complete.

I sold an XS1 crank alone with worn bearings and rods for $80.00 could be worth more to some.

With matching no's the value has increased markedly.

With a frame alone and bottom end motor, Crank,cases, gearbox and matching no's i would guess it could be worth between $600-$800 maybe more. If someone blew up their motor and cracked the cases then the frame and motor would be worth so much more to them than that. If the motor is complete the value increases.

Anything pre 75 is a lot easier for compliance issues. As you have no adr's stamped on the frame you don't have to maintain them. Saftey standards also change depending on the yr of manufature.
Main difference in the national standards; your bike does not have to have indicators and only has to have 1 mirror. You would also have to comply with state based legislation.

The XS1 and XS1 B are the same bike just different years. The XS2 and TX are the same but slightly different than the XS1 and XS1 B to accomidate the electric starter.
As far as chopping one up. Are either one a complete bike? If not the value will be much less.
I wouldn't chop either one up, I wouldn't chop one of the later standards or Specials either. Makes no sence to me.
Leo

Back