XS650 chopper wiring journey

Sicc50

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I’m attempting to wire up my 82’ Xs650 chopper. I have the stator with the pickup coil on it. Any wiring diagrams suggestions. Thanks JB

There are several diagrams here in the "Tech" section. Here's one example with your "late model" ignition and charging system:
1691635656887.png

Last edited:
Where on my ignition switch does this red/ yellow starter solenoid
Wire go. 👀

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 49
What’s the connector on the end? That wire should be power for the lighting IIRC

Where on my ignition switch does this red/ yellow starter solenoid
Wire go. 👀
The red/yellow solenoid lead may indicate that your bike inherited a Honda solenoid at some previous point: no matter, it will work. It depends on what key switch style you have. The stock Yamaha wiring used the red/white wire for the positive side of the solenoid coil (Honda used red/yellow). The positive switched wire from the stock key switch would be the brown wire and the blue/white wire supplies the switched ground through the starter button. If you are actuating the starter circuit via a 3 position aftermarket key switch (start pole sometimes labelled 'S') the ground side of the solenoid could be a permanent connection and the red/yellow connected to the 'S' terminal (that's the way the above diagram I posted contemplates)

The red/yellow solenoid lead may indicate that your bike inherited a Honda solenoid at some previous point: no matter, it will work. It depends on what key switch style you have. The stock Yamaha wiring used the red/white wire for the positive side of the solenoid coil (Honda used red/yellow). The positive switched wire from the stock key switch would be the brown wire and the blue/white wire supplies the switched ground through the starter button. If you are actuating the starter circuit via a 3 position aftermarket key switch (start pole sometimes labelled 'S') the ground side of the solenoid could be a permanent connection and the red/yellow connected to the 'S' terminal (that's the way the above diagram I posted contemplates)
This the ignition switch in using now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 34
It will then lend itself to actuating the solenoid - if you want to wire it that way. Verify with ohm meter that B (battery) has coninuity to 'ST' when in the momentary position and connect red/yellow there. Then ground the other solenoid lead (green?). When the switch is turned to momentary (ST) , then the solenoid should "click" and connect the two primary lugs connecting the battery to starter motor

It will then lend itself to actuating the solenoid - if you want to wire it that way. Verify with ohm meter that B (battery) has coninuity to 'ST' when in the momentary position and connect red/yellow there. Then ground the other solenoid lead (green?). When the switch is turned to momentary (ST) , then the solenoid should "click" and connect the two primary lugs connecting the battery to starter motor
What if the switch has only 2 positions?

That doesn't work well on a starter circuit that should be momentary switched only. I would then use the original starter button to provide the ground side to the solenoids' coil (is there a green wire along with red/yellow?) and wire the red/yellow to a switched positive from the key switch

Last edited:
That doesn't work well on a starter circuit that should be momentary switched only. I would then use the original starter button to provide the ground side to the solenoids' coil (is there a green wire along with red/yellow?) and wire the red/yellow to a switched positive from the key switch
No just a black one. Not to sound dumb but what is a switched positive is that the ignition lug or the battery lug or the accessory lug. Thank you.
image.jpg

switched power is just power that is only on with the key; depends on the switch, but usually ACC is switched power-out from B being battery power-in

Back to the starter circuit: there are two general ways to do it; One) ground is always grounded and power is momentarily switched or Two (stock) where power is normally on when the key is on and ground is momentarily switched via the handlebar button. I was wrong about your solenoid maybe being from Honda - Honda doesn't use black for ground, but the red/yellow is still likely the intended positive coil lead

Hey Jpdevol. I bought a new starter relay from mikes Xs. Where would you recommend I
image.jpg
connect these wires.

Back