xs750 build step by tedious step, "build-along" with me

Max bore for stock xs liner is 78mm anything over that liner distortion becomes an issue. Ductile Iron liners would be the way to go to prevent liner
distortion.

took the day off from taking photos ,but those following along, I honed the cyl, on each barrel and match fit to each piston, about 3 to 6 minutes total made it so that with some thin oil the pistons slide perfectly in there perspective bores, not sure with the recent info if I'm still going to try and use this cly. haha who am I joking I probably will, and we can see if its a train wreck

but does anyone know if you can purchase just a mikes xs cyl. no pistons

Last edited:
I guess the mistake was getting rid of the wiseco pistons, but if they had wiseco pistons I would imagine they also had resleeved the cylinder. Were the wiseco pistons about the same size as your current pistons? I don’t know if mikes sells just the big bore but they do have sleeves. https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-cylinder-sleeve-only-750cc-big-bore.html
It is pretty easy to remove the sleeve just gotta put it in the oven for a while. I’m sure if you search it then you will find the recipe. Also if you spend a little more on a brand like LA Sleeve they will probably last a little longer. Oh and one more thing if you do end up with a total engine catastrophe at least you could find a barn yard XS650 somewhere title or not and pull the engine.

so I have decided I am going to use this cyl. the way it is, (well excepot for some honing I did).. and I do reallyt apreciate any input yall have, dont stop giving input now, just because Ive decided to use this cyl. I spent some more time with my thre bar hone last night and now both pistons can be droped in the top with some this 2 stoke oil and they slide (drop) to the bottom without any pushing.. I have a good feel about this, Ive built many engines by feel so to speak, and like I said I guess we will find out if this will be a train wreck or not, Im a man of faith lol I will post some photos today to keep the interest alive

ok im going to drag the bottom end in to the kitchen table today, I have to take it apart to install the new (ENDLESS) cam chain, other that that I hope its just going to be a visual inspection, and seal replacements, I believe this bottom end is in quite good shape, again its a 76 xs650 us model, anyone know if you can put the longer 5th gear in this year engine? I live in rural area, and almost all riding in HI way

also I thought i had heard somewhere that a certain year xs had a different 5th that you can swap out and seeing as I have a large bin of xs tranny parts I might already have that, it looks like mikes xs 5th overdrive is 66 dollars, not bad says for Main shaft 0.979 mm ONLY 0.984 inches or 25 mm (Hole diameter)24 Tooth 5th ... i believe 76 is that sise, we will see

yes I have read thru jJims thread, Its very well done, I do plan on taking skirt to wall measurments and of course making the ring gaps correct with a ring gap file, the skirt to wall clearance right now is .001 to.0015, almost the requred .002 and the rings have no gap to speak of so I will have to gap them myself,

today I cleaned up the bottom end (case) at least on the ouside a little, and removerd the clutch side cover, I couldnt belive how clean it was inside and how nice all the parts looked, Im tempted not to split it and just put the tp end together, But I have a NEW D.I.D. endless cam chain and I dont know if it can be "BROCKEN" to instal, I belive the only way is to split the case and drop the crank so I can put it on, ANYONE chime in about breaking a new chain with a chain breaker??? also If I have to open her up anyways I want to put the 5th gear overdrive in her, 60 bucks for one gear seems like a good idea? here is some photos of the bottom end the last photo has a brand new PBI 18T sprocket on it, I dont know if I will run that, but i had it

again questions im asking yall, can you break a new DID chain with a chain breaker, good idea bad idea??
and any experiance with the 5th gear overdrive?? Ive heard some stuff about the engagment dogs i think??

Attachments

• bottom0.jpg
    bottom0.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 153
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 173
  • bottom3.jpg
    bottom3.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 161
  • bottom4.jpg
    bottom4.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 154
  • bottom6.jpg
    bottom6.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 150
  • bottom5.jpg
    bottom5.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 179
I just split my DID endless cam chain and the business I purchase it from said it can be split you just need a masterlink. I used a dremel to grind down the pins to press them out but was careful not to hit another link. You can tie the old chain and the new chain ends together and turn the crankshaft while pulling the chain and it feeds the new chain through.

It seems I have the wrong master link for my chain though.The chain I have is a D.I.D. 219FTH and I got a OEM Yamaha DID 219FT master link PN 94662-19001.Of course my stock chain is a 219FT so I have to get another link https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...=0&_odkw=D.I.D++Master+Link+219FTH+Bush+Chain . If you need the 219FT master link let me know.

Last edited:
ok kids, Ive decided to slpit the case ,:whistle: what kind of "engine build" along would this be if I just slapped some parts on the top end.... so Im going to do the 5th overdrive, and keep my cam chain as one piece, but thank you busshyeyed for the link, and again just because I don't take the advice everyone keep giving your input, I will have photos of the tear down I just did posted tonight, I cant remember where I got this bottom end from, but i remember thinking it would be the one for my 750 build, because at the time I thought it "might" be in really good shape. and with each part removed Im more and more confident of it, some parts look like they are NEW, and I haven't found anything with any wear yet, kinda amazing... I inluded some photos of how I used a 3 jaw puller to remove the stator, two jaws light up with the "HIGH" parts and I used a nut on a "LOW" point to even the puller, I put just a little tention on the puller and then tappy tapp tapp on the stator with a small ball peen, and it just poped right off, not much "PULL" needed, and no special puller... In my case atleast... and Ive never seen brushes so long, like new

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 132
  • stator2.jpg
    stator2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 135
  • stator3.jpg
    stator3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 151
  • stator4.jpg
    stator4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 135
  • stator5.jpg
    stator5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 156
  • stator6.jpg
    stator6.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 136
  • stator7.jpg
    stator7.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 151
  • stator8.jpg
    stator8.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 136
  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 155
  • clutch2.jpg
    clutch2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 131
  • clutch3.jpg
    clutch3.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 131
  • clutch4.jpg
    clutch4.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 139
  • clutch5.jpg
    clutch5.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 133
  • clutch6.jpg
    clutch6.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 131
  • clutch7.jpg
    clutch7.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 140
  • clutch9.jpg
    clutch9.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 142
  • clutch8.jpg
    clutch8.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 167
  • clutch10.jpg
    clutch10.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
so I split the case, some things I noticed , one the bearing in the photos had a "keeper ring" its got it on the bottom iM speaking of the ring that hods the outer bearing race in position in the case, the photo showing the top half of the case shows the grove it would go in, I swear there should be another "HALF" of a ring to go there too, but I either dropped it when the case half's came apart or its missing or there is only one half to begin with (HELP) let me know what you think, then two even after splitting the case and slipping the chain around the crank and out the top half of the case, its still trapped on the guide pivot pin, My idea was to not "BREAK" the new chain but Uh well UH???

ok only two questions this time, I did noticed all the shift forks and engagement dogs in this engine are in pristine shape with little to no wear. YAYA

Attachments

• bearing.jpg
    bearing.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 130
  • bearing1.jpg
    bearing1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 132
  • bearing3.jpg
    bearing3.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 129
  • chain2.jpg
    chain2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 129
  • chain.jpg
    chain.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 148
so I went around the entire shop on my hands and knees and I actually found the snap ring.. its the starter gear retention hardware snap ring, now I make all my bikes kick only, and in the past have ditched the starter, Obviously, and even the gear and shaft inside the lower cover, but this time im even considering removing the intermediate starter shaft that sits below the gear cluster, and any accompanying parts,

Any opinions on pros, or cons, on doing this, the first that comes to mind is if a starter was ever wanted to be installed (NOT BY ME) in the future it couldn't just be installed and the gear in the side cover installed with it, but pros I see is each and every gear takes up space that could be filled with oil and also takes up a minor amount of weight. hmmm for some reason I'm leaning towards leaving that stuff in there

oh and chime in somebody about the cam chain being trapped on the tensioner, seem like Im going to have to break it

As far as the chain goes, I've never seen an advantage to being continuous. Don't recall ever hearing of a master link breaking on a cam chain.... meaning it's just as strong with the link as a continuous.

Last edited:
yeah, your prob right, I guess the wiseco pistons that are gone where actually 12 to 1 , cant even imagine kicking those lol, gonna keep the intermediate stuff in there , and I have a few nice starters, maybe i will concede to having one on this ride? I ordered the 5th overdrive today , and some of those carb spacers and the master link for the cam chain,....mikes says "delays possible" due to corona, not sure what that means because you can still purchase next day shipping if you desire. anyone have any idea what compression these pistons may be?

Im still hoping for some opinions on the 5th gear ovedrive? anyone actually use onr?
also I could swear I heard somewhere that a late late model had a longer 5th from the factory? anyone heard this?oh actually what i might be thinking about is the "drive" between the back of the clutch and tranyy? anyone?
I also may make the moified clutch setup where you add a friction and a steel disk, Ive done one so far, and its tedious but seems like a 750 may benifit from this MOD.
another mod I plan on doing is the oil pupm, well not a mod, but coversed here in this fierm is how to get the most out if a stck oumo, so illl go over that and how I do it

again any and all input is apreviatef , If anyone knoes of anything else to do wile the case is split chime in please..

Last edited:
Back