XS750 - loud valve clicking ( chain? )

misiek303

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

The clicking comes from the fast-releasing valve lifters and this is due to the loose chain at some point. The chain is tensioned but while turning the camshafts there is a short time when the chain is loosened between the Exhaust and Intake camshafts. I am not sure if that kind of loose chain at that moment is ok or if this chain has to go.

All valve clearance in spec. The timing alignment is perfect.

I attached the images and a link to the short video to record the sound of the clicks, at the end of that video you can see how the chain getting loose.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cf7vpGAyoPksVKi98

Any ideas?

Thank you

Attachments

• tempImagefbXboD.png
    tempImagefbXboD.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • tempImage0CmlrF.png
    tempImage0CmlrF.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • tempImageWw91Qj.png
    tempImageWw91Qj.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
There is probably some alignment marks for the cam chain on the sprockets .I would check so these are correct .
So the chain has not jumped on the sprocket getting out of sync With a loose chain
? Bent valve stem ?

There is probably some alignment marks for the cam chain on the sprockets .I would check so these are correct .
So the chain has not jumped on the sprocket getting out of sync With a loose chain
? Bent valve stem ?
Yes, both sprockets align with the marks on the camshafts. And that also aligns with a T mark on the governor for TDI.

Found the problem. It was not a valve click. It was a snap of the timing chain guide against the headblock.
I guess I tensioned the chain at the wrong moment. It was really bizarre, but now everything was so silent and the loose is gone.
I am excited again.

Sometimes I just need to talk it through.

Thank you.

Back