Yet another electric start question

NastyNate

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im having an intermittent electric starter problem. Most of the time I click the button and it fires right up but sometimes it just makes one click (no grinding) and doesnt turn over at all. If this were a car I'd typically smack the starter with a hammer while turning over the ignition to tell if its bad or not. This seems more like a power problem? I hear people talking about the Bendix gear but there is no grinding. Any insight would help

Hey guys, Im having an intermittent electric starter problem. Most of the time I click the button and it fires right up but sometimes it just makes one click (no grinding) and doesnt turn over at all. If this were a car I'd typically smack the starter with a hammer while turning over the ignition to tell if its bad or not. This seems more like a power problem? I hear people talking about the Bendix gear but there is no grinding. Any insight would help

I had this same issue and it turned out to be my battery. Perhaps not that simple in your case.

I had this same issue and it turned out to be my battery. Perhaps not that simple in your case.

Nate:

If you're sure the battery is at full charge, check the cables (both ground and positives) to make sure they're tight and clean. If both of those check out fine, then you may be looking at the solenoid.

Starter would be the last thing I'd look at.

Rich

I might look at the start button itself.
When you push the button it grounds to the handle bars. If the button is dirty or the place it contacts, then you will get an intermitant connection.
Checking the ground for the bars may help.
Leo

Just saw this was your first post. Congrats and welcome to our little corner of all things XS650.
Leo

One way to check is when it acts up, pull the right side air cleaner cover. On the starter relay there is a blue/white wire. Unplug it, run a jumper from there to ground. This bypasses the start button and will turn the starter.
If it still acts up then it may be the starter relay.
Leo

Ya just figured out the clicking sound was coming from the starter relay. Took the relay apart to figure out the wiring inside was not making connection and after I reconnected it there its did absolutely nothing. So i connected the positive battery straight to the starter and it started right up. Just ordered a new relay from mikesxs. Thanks for the help and the warm welcome guys.

Back