your opinion about hard tail 200 kit?

howry

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey,
soo i was wondering if i should really go that far lol get that fat tyre :p or not? the tire 350$ and offset around 300$, and fender 100$. was wondering what ya guys think?
ive seen bike the other day with fat tire :) was damn great!!!! is it worth it? be honest with me :) i can take it lol

i mean i do want the bike get hardtail, but was thinking if the difference is 100$ between normal and fat tire, why not.....

First off 200 tires don't corner well in my opinion anything over 180 is a waste and on the 650 anything over 160 second wheel and tire cost?

Far rear tires look terrible. Dont ruin an XS with that trendy OCC bullshit.

Newchoppershots002.jpg

ruin? what ya think about that bike then?

terrible.
everybody has their own thoughts on what looks good. and that is what makes bike building awesome. if you want to build a fat tire xs650, i say go for it. but you cant expect to throw that picture up and expect everyone to fall in love. if that bike was given to me, i dont think that i would even ride it around the block. i would however have a great time taking it apart and selling off all the bs.

terrible.
everybody has their own thoughts on what looks good. and that is what makes bike building awesome. if you want to build a fat tire xs650, i say go for it. but you cant expect to throw that picture up and expect everyone to fall in love. if that bike was given to me, i dont think that i would even ride it around the block. i would however have a great time taking it apart and selling off all the bs.

oh... why taking it apart? and nooo, i wouldnt want the air compressor one. just hard tail. with similar frame.

When saying the offset you are talking about the jackshaft, correct? If you like the look, run it. Of course if you don't like the way it rides afterwards, you can always run a smaller tire. At your expense.
In my opinion some can be made to look very nice, I'm partial to smaller sportbike style tires myself, something like a 140.

a 200mm Avon on a 5.5 x 18 rim, is my most favorite rear wheel/tire combo.

Not designed for a 5.5, but it just flat ass works. Looks right also.

I still for the life of me can't understand what some folks find so attractive about this OCC fat tire look...?!? Coupled with the drop seat frame///!!!!and the "Kewl" 4 foot wide handlebars. This is just ridiculous looking. I wouldn't drive that thing around the block......

thats yamachop's(i think) bike. its currently being turned back into standard hardtail with the 200.

Elswick makes a 200 weld on hard tail kit if you are looking for one. Not my cup of tea but to each their own.

everybody has their own thoughts on what looks good. and that is what makes bike building awesome.

I couldn't agree more, and I built that bike :)

The bike is hard-tailed now, but I'm still running the 240 rear on it. Gotta say, it's the most fun 40hp machine I've ever had!

There's a whole legion of people who'll hate on the big rear tire. I still like it, and it's my bike so it stays :)

I can certainly appreciate all styles of building, and I can find inspiration in almost all of them. You gotta build what you want, after all, you're the one who has to ride it in the end!

Current pic (with my other build that'll turn people off as well ;) )
DSCN0609.jpg

I like them as a standard rigid not drop seat and I have a 200 rear waiting to get welded on. I don't think a 200 is an excessive wide tyre it is stock on an Yamaha R6 sports bike.

Go with the gary Poh offset kit rather than a jack shaft, much better in MHO.

I have watched a few of the REALLY wide tired bikes try to corner riding with a group. it's rather funny to watch but riding it? Maybe not so funny. I guess 200 isn't stupid wide for handling, you will get lots of looks with it, specially in Oz, right?

I chopped XS, Cafe XS, Bobbed XS, or quality Resto will all get lots of looks here. Just not many older bikes around here and all customs tend to be HD, or clones.

I don't think a 200 is an excessive wide tyre it is stock on an Yamaha R6 sports bike.

A 200 series was never stock on an R6, nor an R1 for that matter. A 180 series is stock on the R6 and 190 for the R1. But to everyone, build what YOU like. I didn't buy my bike to please others, I bought it to make it what I want.

A 200 series was never stock on an R6, nor an R1 for that matter. A 180 series is stock on the R6 and 190 for the R1. But to everyone, build what YOU like. I didn't buy my bike to please others, I bought it to make it what I want.

It's still a 5.5" rim that they put the 200 tyre on even though 180 is optimal.

I think he was asking if the difference was only $100 would it be worth it? I think the difference to a stock wheel set up would be way more than $100. Do what your budget allows, and what YOU like. What we like or don't like doesn't matter. I run an 18" rear wheel but I have also built a bike with a 240 rear.

Back