Zero response from bike, fried rotor?

Indigo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 1982 XS650 Heritage Special with TCI Ignition that started giving me trouble recently. It cut off while riding the other day and after heaving it back home and getting a chance to poke at it, I learned that it would no longer start from the electric, only the kickstart, but it would quickly die within a minute of trying to idle - eventually not being able to start back up at all. Before jumping to any conclusions I figured I would start by charging the battery up. Got it to 100% and she fired up again, but with the same issue, dying within a minute. The battery is relatively new so I assume it's not receiving a proper charge from the rotor. Is it safe to assume the rotor is the issue? A little uncertain as to what my next move should be, so thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
You have no spark so I would look at the pickup on the alternator and TCI first . Don't need it to charge to start bike. To separate things Charging is Rotor /Brushes/Alternator/REG - REC
Spark come from the pickup on alternator to TCI to Coil
Look at one thing at a time or you are going to get confused
Check fuses/wires/connector plugs for burnt wires

Hmm sparked at you did you have the ignition switch on while " but as I was fiddling around with the positioning it sparked at me" Ohm reading is done with the bike off. It also is done with the bigger LH side cover and stator off.
Now lets back up a bit.
#1 Chcek your fuses, there are 4 under the seat.
Remove all 4 fuses and replace them. Old glass fuses die of age just get new. Use the right amperages. When you removed the fuses are the little fuse holders good do they ALL hold the fuse end securely? often the little metal ends rot and lose strength then break in two.

Got that done?

A good charged battery should run the bike for at least 10 or 15 minutes even if it isn't charging. Do a load test on that battery.
Go to the charging guide start reading.

#2 remove and clean your battery leads +12 AND ground, both ends, look for corrosion rotted wire. Tug on and flex the ends a bit, if fine dust falls out, replace the cable.

#2 check your brushes; 3/8" is minimum length, if they are near that length, replace them.
After that if you still aren't charging, start following the charging guide.

Back