ZG1000 steering race removal

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Kawasaki Concourse. I have a riding buddy here from Canada. We’re servicing his bike so it can go wherever he wants to go with it, as long as it isn’t my garage.

Among other things, the steering bearings are roached. I can not reach the races with a drift. There is no puller available locally that will work. I have no welder.

C1C759B6-FF1F-47CE-8BA6-428C6515014D.jpeg

This is available on Amazon. I can have it Friday. If I suffer that, will it work?
I have a Dremel tool as well.
1675628972823.png

I might be tempted to run to Lowes for some 3' rod or all-thread to use as a longer drift

Sorry, I know nothing of a Concourse (other than being passed by a few)

Look at the neck, On XS650 with tapered bearings I drill a small hole in at angle to drift out the lower race. Once started you can get the drift in and work it around, or drill second hole on other side, work the drift in both.
Like this.

Attachments

• drill neck to remove race.jpg
    drill neck to remove race.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 49
After over 100,000 miles he's never had to touch a neck bearing...............
These have suffered brinelling. Maybe it was run loose at one time. There is a detent straight ahead and Phil refuses to drive on gravel.

I drill a small hole in at angle to drift out the lower race.
If it comes to that. So far, it's all done with the fairing in place. I would love to avoid taking it off.

You think that race puller will be able to grab the lip? I mean if the neck tube has a shelf/step above the race that's preventing drift access, is that puller gonna find a bite?

Maybe dremel cutting wheel, cold chisel....you know the drill..

Both races inaccessible that way?

Back