My First XS650 - Street Tracker Project

Thanks Tom, I'm going to keep the 19inch front wheel. I was just wondering what was the next size up from your front wheel? I have a drum brake rear.. I was not sure if your rear tire fit due to you having a disc brake. What is the next size down rear wheel? Is it the same size as your front? Here is my last sportster, sold it last year. Still miss it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 258
Nice sporty dude, and props on the deck, I still occasionally hit up the skatepark, although feeling a little old and creaky now!

So do you have Mag or spoked wheels? regardless of if you have disc or drum brake rear, If you have mag, you will have a 16" rear wheel, and from what I can see in the clearance of mine, you should have no problem clearing the frame. The brake arm will be different on the drum version and you may have to figure a way of getting that to sit a little further away from the tire, however you may clear just fine.

If you are going to stick with the 19" front wheel, and you are going to go with vintage tires like mine, you can easily get away with a 19 x 4.00 on the front with the stock rim. I have a 3.50 I believe on the front, but I run a firestone deluxe 19 x 4.00 on my Harley, and that size looks BEEFY. You will be able to look for that size for your XS stock forks without changing anything on the front end.

Yeah, I am taking the mag wheels off and adding the 36 spoke wheels I just got. I hope there is not an issue going from mag to laced wheels. I still skate when I can, getting up from a fall is a little harder these days...

I will be going vintage style, something with some good tread, as I may cruise some trails! I'm going to Aim for the 4.00-19 for the front, I don't run a fender. Is that the next size down from your 5.00-16 in the rear?

well unless you have a harley 16" rear rim, then you no longer can run a 5.00 rear width tire. The stock xs650 spoked wheels are 18" and i think the widest tire you can get is 18 x 4.50, which would mean that you can still run a 19 x 4.00 up front if you are getting 19" wheels up front. Your gunna struggle getting anything wider on the rear though if you are running an 18" wheel.

Tom, you scared me! I have a 16 inch rear w/36 spokes. I think the 48 spokes wheels are 18 inch in the rear. Now I have to measure! I hope it's a 16, almost positive.

The bike is back in the city. I wired up the new flasher I got from superbrightleds.com and it works like a charm. I have done about 70 miles on the bike this weekend, with no issues, Runs great and really does make a great sound. Its first night in the city was spent at a show at 'Iron & Resin' in SF where Kickstartmotorcycles was showing their newest build. Met the builder and seems like a really great guy.

It was a beautiful day here today so I took my wife out for a ride and shot some photos. There are ALOT here so apologies for a little self indulgence. These were used on the craigslist ad I just posted, as the bike is now for sale in the bay area.

Thank you so much anyone who helped me with any advice here, I couldn't have done this without your guys help.

Its me whos doing the 16" front and rear tyres, ive just had some custom 3.5" blank rims pressed and drilled them out to match the standard hubs. There all powdered black and being fitted with custom ss spokes, im then fitting 16 5.0 avon sm mk2 tyres which im told will fit in the standard bike but i wont aactually know until my wheels are finished this weekend! I will be starting a build thread when i get a minute awesome work with your bike tom and an excellent thread youve put together here.

Standard 16" spoked wheels have 2.5" rims so there to narrow for a 5.0 tyre that the reason ive had new rims pressed for mine, hope that helps guys :thumbsup:

Cheers wiganmatt for the info.

Yeah my 4.00 x 19s have plenty of space in the forks so hopefully you dont have any trouble! Good shout on the rim width. Let me know when you get a thread started.

Hi Tom,

Sorry to post a none bike related comment! Just wondering how you added a decent size picture to your thread? I've started my own thread now but I cant seem to add any pictures that are big enough to see properly!! Any help from yourself or anyone else would be much appreciated..... :thumbsup:

Hi Tom,

Sorry to post a none bike related comment! Just wondering how you added a decent size picture to your thread? I've started my own thread now but I cant seem to add any pictures that are big enough to see properly!! Any help from yourself or anyone else would be much appreciated..... :thumbsup:

Hi Matt,

So I use this site for hosting my photos as its quick and easy. http://share.pho.to/

Just go to the site, upload your photos (you can do multiple) then on each photo there is a little icon in the top right to share, hit that and go to embed codes.

From there scroll to "BBcodes for forums:" and i just copy the top code and paste it into your xs650 post. Easy!

This bike i brutally awesome!! Im building a similar bike, when i found this one it just made everything I already planned fall into places! Similar not a copy will run in Sweden this summer!! Thanks for a great thread!!

Hi Matt,

So I use this site for hosting my photos as its quick and easy. http://share.pho.to/

Just go to the site, upload your photos (you can do multiple) then on each photo there is a little icon in the top right to share, hit that and go to embed codes.

From there scroll to "BBcodes for forums:" and i just copy the top code and paste it into your xs650 post. Easy!

Brilliant cheers dude i'll give that a try later on hopefully! :thumbsup:

@tom4130

Cheers for the help with the pictures dude, I've got it sorted now and started my own build thread :thumbsup:

Just out of interest mate have you had any luck with the bike sale?

Coastside, I built the bike as a winter project with a view to sell it. However after working on this one I have a soft spot for XS650's now, I will definitely do another!

Wiganmatt, no problem man, link me up to it.

Sold the bike last night, Bummed to see it go but it went to a good dude. Time for the next project!

Back