My First XS650 - Street Tracker Project

tom4130

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All

New to the forum but have already read and seen a lot of helpful threads to get me acquainted with the new build.

Last weekend I bought my first XS650 as a project to work on over the winter. A 1980 pretty much stock XS650 Special with 13,000 original miles, and just rode it back from the P/O's house about 40 miles with no problems whatsoever.

Have a couple of ideas and cant wait to get it torn apart. Really like a lot of the wrenchmonkees builds and am thinking of doing some kind of aggressive street tracker.

Will try and keep the build up to date on here and may have some questions so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

ebd91c.jpg

So, heres my first major update since I bought the bike.

I rode the bike up to my parents in laws house where I am able to work on it. I live in an apartment in the city with no garage situation so currently am driving 50 miles up north to work on it. The bike was a champ! Little nervous of taking it up to freeway speeds not knowing the bike but it was a trooper. 50+ miles no problem, with some twisties at the end that were really fun on such a light bike, however the current handlebars are pretty uncomfortable in my opinion and I felt like I had a t-rex posture all the way up.

Here she is up before the tear down:

And odometer is at 13,132 before the build starts:

Various tear down pics:

This is a horrible little piece of design

I took the engine covers off and sanded, wet sanded and polished them by hand, If anyone can recommend a good metal polish that works that would be great. I also cleaned all of the fins of the engine out with baking soda and water and then sand paper. 30 years of grime and oil came pouring out. Still have the valve covers to do but ill leave them for later.

One of the first things to come was new handlebars so mounted them and they already feel a tonne better. Although having read some forums I know i will have to take them off and strip the paint under the switches and riser to create a ground for the starter switch (I plan on keeping most of the stock electrics)

Next thing I did was to label all the wiring harness and tear it down, I also cut all of the un needed brackets off the frame. It turns out I need to do some more cutting but I left some on as I decided what direction I wanted to take things:

I then did a real quick sand and spray of the rear look just to protect it from rust, I know that will all be coming off again when I make the battery tray to mount the electronics but just making sure it doesnt rust as Im still only getting to work on it once a week if not longer. I also used the headers that I had on the bike (Which were in great condition) and shortened them and mounted some new reverse megaphone mufflers on. Cant speak for the sound of them but I am pretty happy with the way they look. Got them to be really tight up against the frame too.

Next was some progressive rear suspension that I got from Mikes XS, great shop that place is! I didnt measure the stock ones before buying these, and wanted the stock length, but these are about an inch longer. Not overly keen on the big gap its created but Ill have another look once I have the new larger tires on that I will be getting.

If anyone can suggest a clean solution to this problem then please let me know. The upper rear shock mount is so long because of all the stock stuff that I have now taken off and are now about 2 inches too long. Is there a way to shorten this without compromising strength? also If i want to get a new bolt what size and thread should I be looking at. God its ugly!

Last weekend I received a seat from Wes at Counter Balance Cycles. Seems like a great guy, and got my seat made from scratch in 2 weeks. Really dig the look of it, exactly what I was looking for. I actually am basing some of the look of this bike on a bike Wes built a couple of years back so was stoked when I found out he made seats for the build.

I also stripped the paint from the tank, I have not polished it yet, but I think I may end up sanding and polishing the Raw tank and then clear coating it. I do like the look of no paint.

This weekend is the superbowl so I am not working on the bike, just having food with some friends, but I think next weekend I will go up and continue on the build. More to come then. Battery box, electrics and then powdercoat.

Good looking start. I like the seat choice from Wes! You copying the black XS tracker he has? I following that look with my build. Keep at it man.

Good looking start. I like the seat choice from Wes! You copying the black XS tracker he has? I following that look with my build. Keep at it man.

Cheers man, actually taking a little inspiration off his first build, the root beer colored tank one. but all his stuff is great. Your username wouldn't happen to be anything to do with BMX would it?

Cheers man, actually taking a little inspiration off his first build, the root beer colored tank one. but all his stuff is great. Your username wouldn't happen to be anything to do with BMX would it?

Ahhh. Yeah that's a great one too. I dig it as well. Yes the name does relate to bmx. I take it yours may too due to the 4130?

Ahhh. Yeah that's a great one too. I dig it as well. Yes the name does relate to bmx. I take it yours may too due to the 4130?

Yeah man, not so much now as my knees are about done, still get out every now and then. but 10 years ago for sure. Actually rode at the T1 ramp in Austin many years ago with Joe and Taj!

Yeah I just checked out more of Wes' builds, so good! cant wait to get up and keep going on this build.

Take it easy

Nice! I've got a bike and some old frames. Mostly holding on to memories. Keep on riding and keep this thread updated man!

Hey Tom I was wondering dude, I've been thinking about buying some new rear shocks myself and obviously those ones you got off XS650 are a hell of a deal... but the height is a little undesireable. If you use the wrench to adjust preload, can you get the ass end to sit a bit lower? I've been thinking about buying the Monza 11.5" shocks, but I really can't get behind the chrome. https://www.mikesxs.net/product/06-3609.html

Hey Tom I was wondering dude, I've been thinking about buying some new rear shocks myself and obviously those ones you got off XS650 are a hell of a deal... but the height is a little undesireable. If you use the wrench to adjust preload, can you get the ass end to sit a bit lower? I've been thinking about buying the Monza 11.5" shocks, but I really can't get behind the chrome. https://www.mikesxs.net/product/06-3609.html

Good idea @gnarlydavidson, I will adjust the preload a little, will that loose height in the shocks? I was under the impression that adjusting the preload merely adds load to the shock making a harder ride, but didnt effect ride height. I may be completely wrong but that is definately something I can try.

I have to do a little work to the bottom mount of the shock anyhow as these shocks DO NOT come with a metal spacer in the bushing like the stock shocks to stop the bottom mount crushing the bushing, I will have to pick up some hollow metal pipe in the correct size and cut my own. more on that soon.

I agree with the chrome! although I think there are some shorter ones in all black that do not add much to the cost. I have some stock 11" shocks from my Sportster that I could use to see the ride height at that length, but I would prefer to stay with progressives, Ill have a look once the wheels are painted and I have the larger tires on and fender mounted...that may fill the gap a little more.

Hey Tom - yeah, I was thinking about it, and it may lower the riderless height a bit, but it will be negligible as far as the overall look. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on your build before I buy stuff, as I'll probably be throwing some Firestones or larger tires on mine. I'll be going with a small ducktail fender, and I don't want mine to be so low that it catches the fender when I hit a bump. Where did you find the shorter black shocks??

Hey Tom - yeah, I was thinking about it, and it may lower the riderless height a bit, but it will be negligible as far as the overall look. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on your build before I buy stuff, as I'll probably be throwing some Firestones or larger tires on mine. I'll be going with a small ducktail fender, and I don't want mine to be so low that it catches the fender when I hit a bump. Where did you find the shorter black shocks??

I thought the ones were all black that I was looking at, but looks like its black with a chrome spring (https://www.mikesxs.net/product/06-3647.html)

Yeah I have an old Harley rear fender that I will cut up and make a short rear fender out of and mount the license plate and light to, but thats a little later.

Tires have been bugging me for a while, I have Firestone Deluxe's on my Harley and they look great, but are a nightmare on the freeways round here, wobble all over the place, so I was thinking about going with more of a tracker / dual sport for this build. I wanted to go with Firestone ANS tires, but their section width is so wide that I'm not sure whether they will fit in the stock frame. I may fine some balloon looking Dual Sport tires instead. Got some in mind now that I know will fit but am making decisions currently.

So ive been a little quiet lately on this post, but managed to get a few hours in the last couple of weeks. I set to work on polishing the raw tank so its all smooth, and added the decals that I got with the bike. Really digging the raw color so I think it'll stay like that.

I also cleaned up the upper shock mount, although I forgot to get a photo of that, I will post one soon. I used washers to fill out the space from the grab bar and then added a new small nut and it really cleaned up the ugly stock one.

Here are some photos of progress

I also had the forks off, and sanded them back, primed them and painted them. Wheels are back on for now until the new tires came.

I bought a Firestone ANS 5.00 x 16 for the rear, and then a Duro hf308 4.00 x 19 for the front. I believe I will receive them this week so should have them on the bike in the next couple of weeks after I have the wheels painted.

I also started making a battery box, and it was a disaster, so when the 3rd went wrong and I had run out of 16G Metal, I decided to have a beer and enjoy the weekend instead.

Hopefully next weekend I will sort the battery box and sort out some of the electrical bits and pieces I have to clean up

Tom, would you mind measuring and posting the actual inflated dimensions of that thing?

@TwoManyXS1Bs of course I will when I get it on. Will be a couple of weeks. If you're wondering whether it will fit in a stock frame then you have the exact same concerns as I did.

A company called Analog motorcycles have them in a stock frame too FYI, so you may be able to get an answer from them too.

Bike is looking great! 600% better than stock! You guys know how to make a bearded man blush... haha...

Does the seat fit ok? Looks like its sitting high in some of the photos... or is it just not mounted/tight yet?

Been running into so many bmxers into bikes lately... Once this snow melts i gotta break out my T1 Barcode!

Back