1983 XS650 Project

I switched battery chargers and am now getting spark....
Still nothing when I try to kickstart, and when I try the electric start I get this weird almost rapid clicking alarm type sound. It sounds like the noise my washing machine makes when it's done.

That battery sounds like it's toast, The clicking is probably the solenoid as the voltage drops too low to hold it in when the starter motor is connected.

That battery sounds like it's toast, The clicking is probably the solenoid as the voltage drops too low to hold it in when the starter motor is connected.

I don't know much about batteries but I took it off the bike, and noticed that two of the compartments seemed low on fluid. I topped them off with the battery acid that came with the battery. It seems to be holding a charge longer now and the bike turns over a few times. It seems to be getting stronger the longer it charges.
However it still won't start up. I took the carburetor off and cleaned it out thoroughly, and can't think of anything else.

When you say cleaned it thoroughly , did you follow the guide and take it apart ? How long did you let it charge for ? ( you should have 13.5 V or so on a charged battery ) How about gasoline ? How old is it ? Lots of things to do when you are trying to wake one of these old bikes up . There is a checklist in the tech section .

When you say cleaned it thoroughly , did you follow the guide and take it apart ? How long did you let it charge for ? ( you should have 13.5 V or so on a charged battery ) How about gasoline ? How old is it ? Lots of things to do when you are trying to wake one of these old bikes up . There is a checklist in the tech section .

I've taken the carbs apart about 10 times now and it's the one thing I can say I'm pretty good at when dealing with this bike. The battery was reading 12 V. The gas is about two or three weeks old.
The bike has been running for the last couple of months and just recently stopped running.
Thanks

Um you only put acid in a battery one time when it's brand new after that only distilled water goes in. Charge it,take the battery off the charger, check the voltage the next day. put a light load on it for 10 or 1 minutes recheck the voltage. Key on, stop switch off for 5 minutes would be a reasonable test if it's any good it should still have well over 11 volts. A weak or bad battery can destroy an MC charging system even if it does start.

Um you only put acid in a battery one time when it's brand new after that only distilled water goes in. Charge it,take the battery off the charger, check the voltage the next day. put a light load on it for 10 or 1 minutes recheck the voltage. Key on, stop switch off for 5 minutes would be a reasonable test if it's any good it should still have well over 11 volts. A weak or bad battery can destroy an MC charging system even if it does start.

Thanks for the help, like I said I know nothing about batteries.

I left on slow charge over night. Took the battery off the charger this morning, and it read 12 V. After key on and stop switch off for 5 minutes it read 11.6 V.
The bike still won't start, but when I try with the electronic ignition it at least turns over for a while now.
Let me know what you think, I may bring the battery to autozone to get checked out before I order a new one.
Thanks

I went to have the battery tested at Autozone but for some reason they couldn't give me a definitive answer so I just ordered a new battery.
The only thing I can think of is that it's a fuel issue so I took the carbs apart again and cleaned them meticulously. I know there is fuel getting into the carbs, and I know there is spark. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens with a new battery.
It's frustrating because the bike was running last week.

Those of you who follow this thread may have noticed that I am not the sharpest tool in the shed and I've appreciated you're patience and all of your help.
I had added what I thought was enough fuel to start the bike after getting the new battery. I didn't want to add too much in case I was going to take the carbs off again, however I guess I didn't have enough. This morning I poured as much fuel in as possible and the bike started right up. I also noticed I hadn't properly tightened the drain on the bottom of the right float bowl and fuel was leaking out of there.
Sorry to waste anyone's time and I hope you can at least get a good laugh out of it.
Thanks

Stating that goes a long way to getting help. All of us have been there. None of us know everything and there is always a sharper tool in the shed. Some members will offer help on the spot. Others will tell you to sharpen your computer skills and search for it

I tried taking the bike up and down the street but noticed oil leaking from the area shown in the attached photo one I got it into the driveway. I'm guessing this is something major.

Attachments

• xs650oilleak.jpg
    xs650oilleak.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 163
I'm going to need to get a torque wrench and do A LOT of research, because this is way out of my league.
I did just take the bike on a 5 mile ride. I haven't ridden a motorcycle in 20 years and it was a lot of fun. I got it up to 40 MPH and it seemed to run ok. 2nd gear is a little rough though I don't know how to describe it. I guess it kind of sputters a bit. I've read that these bikes vibrate a lot but WOW.
The oil is leaking very slowly.

Yeah, get a torque wrench and learn how to use it properly. Get some of those copper head washers to replace the rubber coated ones.

Properly synced carbs go a loooong way in reducing the vibes and always remember - Air, Fuel and Spark when you have a non starting issue......gotta have all three.
5 miles is a good start. Keep at it and your skills, trust and confidence will grow.

I've been riding the bike on weekends when I can get time. Usually about 10 miles or so at a time. I don't want to go to far in case it breaks down, and I want to get more confident with riding a motorcycle. The oil leak seems to have stopped.

Things I am noticing now:
1. There is an issue with fuel getting to the carburetor. Sometimes the fuel line coming from the petcock is full, and at other times it is just trickling in. I took the new petcock off and blew it out with a compressor but no change.

2. The bike doesn't start right up easily. It takes more than a few kicks or turning over with the ignition button. Yesterday it seemed to backfire through the right side carb with some smoke. Is there something I can do to get the bike to start up more reliably?

3. The bike lurches a little after shifting from 1st to 2nd. At the lower rpm's in 2nd it's not a smooth ride at all until I get close to 3000 rpms. Sorry if I am not explaining this properly...

I am trying not to mess with too much until I've ridden it for a while and hope things "break in" a little bit. I am going to change the front brake hose soon and the rear brakes need to be adjusted but I'm letting it be for now. Any suggestions or other information is appreciated, as always.
Thanks

Attachments

• xs650beach.jpg
    xs650beach.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 154
I really hesitate to ask, but has the oil leak stopped because the oil has drained down?

Back