1983 XS650 Project

I really hesitate to ask, but has the oil leak stopped because the oil has drained down?

Haha, that is a reasonable question if you've followed this thread. But no I've been keeping my eye on the oil, and it's at the proper level.
Thanks.

Oil could be from the camchain adjuster cap. Intermittant leak, and/or from a small puddle that hid under there, then found a way to dribble down while bike is on sidestand.

I've been riding the bike on weekends when I can get time. Usually about 10 miles or so at a time. I don't want to go to far in case it breaks down, and I want to get more confident with riding a motorcycle. The oil leak seems to have stopped.

Things I am noticing now:
1. There is an issue with fuel getting to the carburetor. Sometimes the fuel line coming from the petcock is full, and at other times it is just trickling in. I took the new petcock off and blew it out with a compressor but no change.

2. The bike doesn't start right up easily. It takes more than a few kicks or turning over with the ignition button. Yesterday it seemed to backfire through the right side carb with some smoke. Is there something I can do to get the bike to start up more reliably?

3. The bike lurches a little after shifting from 1st to 2nd. At the lower rpm's in 2nd it's not a smooth ride at all until I get close to 3000 rpms. Sorry if I am not explaining this properly...

I am trying not to mess with too much until I've ridden it for a while and hope things "break in" a little bit. I am going to change the front brake hose soon and the rear brakes need to be adjusted but I'm letting it be for now. Any suggestions or other information is appreciated, as always.
Thanks

I might be able to spend a day working on the bike this weekend and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for these issues. I would like to do whatever I can to get the bike to start more easily and consistently.

On starting after the bike has been sitting over a day...
On my two I turn on the petcock, activate the choke, cycle the engine with the kicker once or twice, turn the key on and then kick her again. Starts right up. engine will be idling high so I adjust the choke down to about 1500rpm and then take off, turning the choke off as I throttle on.
Starting up a been running, warm engine is just turning the petcock on, key on and kick.

Not sure of the process you're using......

Some bikes may differ in the approach but this is what works for me through trial and error.

On starting after the bike has been sitting over a day...
On my two I turn on the petcock, activate the choke, cycle the engine with the kicker once or twice, turn the key on and then kick her again. Starts right up. engine will be idling high so I adjust the choke down to about 1500rpm and then take off, turning the choke off as I throttle on.
Starting up a been running, warm engine is just turning the petcock on, key on and kick.

Not sure of the process you're using......

Some bikes may differ in the approach but this is what works for me through trial and error.

I think there may be a problem with the bike not with the method of starting, but I will try cycling the engine with the kicker like you've suggested. Just wondering if there are things I should be looking for or more tests to do. I want to ride the bike further than I have been but afraid of getting stuck somewhere.
Thanks

On the fuel coming from the petcock......
I have a filter that runs on the outside of the left carb and can watch the fuel fill up when I turn the petcock on. Sometimes it trickles in. As long as it's coming out is what counts.

You may still have some issues with the carbs going on.

This is a little beyond what I would be comfortable with for now, I don't want to mess anything up worse than it is.
I get back to the bike Thursday or Friday and will clean the carbs again. I may order new carb holders as well as these are the old original ones and are probably leaking.

You guys weren't kidding when you said this project was going to be expensive!

I cleaned the carbs, and put on a new fuel filter and the bike seems to be starting much better. Replaced the carb holders and foot pegs. Everything was actually going good until I noticed the right turn signal is no longer working.
The left turn signal works fine, but the only the front right signal lights up. It doesn't blink it just stays lit, and the right rear signal doesn't do anything.
They worked fine last time I went for a ride.
I had to mess around inside the head lamp housing, could that have done it?
Any suggestions?
Thanks

- - - I had to mess around inside the head lamp housing, could that have done it? - - -

Hi shade,
oh yes, it certainly could.
It's all crowded in there so messing with one thing could well have disturbed another.
The brown and green signal wires both have 1 into 2 connectors inside the headlight shell.
If one of the two wires exiting the connector is unplugged the signal that's still connected will turn on but won't flash because there ain't enough load on the flasher.
If the wire feeding the connector is unplugged, neither of the signals will work.

I replaced the piece that controls the flashing of the turn signals with a new "LL52" Long life flasher. Now three of the four signals flash properly and one that was working earlier in the day is no longer working.
I just want to go for a ride.

I replaced the piece that controls the flashing of the turn signals with a new "LL52" Long life flasher. Now three of the four signals flash properly and one that was working earlier in the day is no longer working.
I just want to go for a ride.

Hi shade,
as my dear ol' mother-in-law used to say:- "then want shall be your master"
First, you have to re-check the defective signal's every last little wire and plug-in.
If it worked before it should work now except if Mr. Careless disturbed the circuit.
And what's the provenance of an LL52 flasher?
I doubt it will work with the signal canceller.

Hi shade,
as my dear ol' mother-in-law used to say:- "then want shall be your master"
First, you have to re-check the defective signal's every last little wire and plug-in.
If it worked before it should work now except if Mr. Careless disturbed the circuit.
And what's the provenance of an LL52 flasher?
I doubt it will work with the signal canceller.

"Mr. Careless" must have disturbed the connection while fitting the headlamp back into place. I rechecked the wiring on the inside and now all signals work.
Thanks Fredintoon, I always appreciate the help.

Took the bike out for about 20 miles today, and it was riding much better. I took it over two drawbridges that have that weird pattern in the road where it opens which was a bit unnerving as the bike seemed to want to move side to side.
I also went onto a small local highway and got it up to about 45 mph, which I've never done before. I can't imagine going on an actual highway.
As I was approaching home it started backfiring a little out of the right carb and I let it idle for a bit and it did it a few more times. Anything to be concerned about?

Hi shade,
you mean that metal mesh paving you can see through?
Yeah, bikes do ride a bit squirrelly on that stuff. Sit back on the seat and relax your grip on the bars, the bike will steer straight enough if you don't fight it.
Years ago I rode across the Mackinac bridge, I believe it's blacktop now but back then it's roadbed was all metal mesh.
You could look down through the roadbed and watch the seagulls flying by which didn't go well with my morbid fear of heights.
And the sick realization that I had to come back that way.

Hi shade,
you mean that metal mesh paving you can see through?
Yeah, bikes do ride a bit squirrelly on that stuff. Sit back on the seat and relax your grip on the bars, the bike will steer straight enough if you don't fight it.
Years ago I rode across the Mackinac bridge, I believe it's blacktop now but back then it's roadbed was all metal mesh.
You could look down through the roadbed and watch the seagulls flying by which didn't go well with my morbid fear of heights.
And the sick realization that I had to come back that way.

haha! i live about 20 miles away from the bridge. been across it a few times. yes, the middle is still mesh and freaky as hell on a bike!

It's been a while since I've posted on my XS650 Project. I've been riding it whenever I can usually about 20 miles at a time. That probably doesn't seem like a lot to you guys but it's a good ride for me. Thanks to the help of some of you on this XS650 forum the bike is running very well. I realized that I never replaced the fork oil and guessing I should probably get to that soon, any suggestions special tools etc.?
The only real problem I can report on is an occasional backfire through the carbs in 1st gear.
Also planning on ordering or making a new seat.
Anyway thanks for the help, I've been working on a 1976 Honda CB200T for my girlfriend and I have to say the people on the Honda Twins forum are not nearly as helpful as the XS650 folks.
Thanks!

It's been a while since I've posted on my XS650 Project. I've been riding it whenever I can usually about 20 miles at a time. That probably doesn't seem like a lot to you guys but it's a good ride for me. Thanks to the help of some of you on this XS650 forum the bike is running very well. I realized that I never replaced the fork oil and guessing I should probably get to that soon, any suggestions special tools etc.?
The only real problem I can report on is an occasional backfire through the carbs in 1st gear.
Also planning on ordering or making a new seat.
Anyway thanks for the help, I've been working on a 1976 Honda CB200T for my girlfriend and I have to say the people on the Honda Twins forum are not nearly as helpful as the XS650 folks.
Thanks!

Hi Shade,
just pull the little screws and pump the forks up and down to get the old oil out.
Be careful, the oil can squirt all over. If there's any still in there.
Re-fill by threading the fork caps off and pouring the new oil in.
My experience with occasional backfires is they are mostly caused by carb air intake leaks &/or blocked carb slow running jets/passages.
WTF is wrong with the seat you have?
A torn cover can be replaced with a replacement from Saddlemens.
Saddlemens also make a double bucket "Touring seat" conversion.
IMHO it's only suitable for two extremely skinny backsides.
I have one built onto a spare seat pan but it didn't suit us.
Yours for $50 + shipping from Canada. PM me your address if you are interested.
A seat from older specials back to 1980 will drop straight on and they are less humpy.
A cafe racer flattie with bumstop can be built onto an existing '80 or newer seatpan.
And hey! This list's constant nagging has given you the confidence to work on someone else's bike.
Even if it's only a Honda twin.
"You meet all kinds of people on a Honda"
But some of them on the Honda Twins list are assholes, eh?

Hi Shade,
just pull the little screws and pump the forks up and down to get the old oil out.
Be careful, the oil can squirt all over. If there's any still in there.
Re-fill by threading the fork caps off and pouring the new oil in.
My experience with occasional backfires is they are mostly caused by carb air intake leaks &/or blocked carb slow running jets/passages.
WTF is wrong with the seat you have?
A torn cover can be replaced with a replacement from Saddlemens.
Saddlemens also make a double bucket "Touring seat" conversion.
IMHO it's only suitable for two extremely skinny backsides.
I have one built onto a spare seat pan but it didn't suit us.
Yours for $50 + shipping from Canada. PM me your address if you are interested.
A seat from older specials back to 1980 will drop straight on and they are less humpy.
A cafe racer flattie with bumstop can be built onto an existing '80 or newer seatpan.
And hey! This list's constant nagging has given you the confidence to work on someone else's bike.
Even if it's only a Honda twin.
"You meet all kinds of people on a Honda"
But some of them on the Honda Twins list are assholes, eh?

The seat I have is in great shape I just don't like the way it looks. It's too wide and I don't like the double tier. I think what I am looking for is a called a "tracker" style seat but I'm not sure. Something simple and classic kind of like this http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xs650-clutch-custom
but maybe not so extreme.

Thanks for the fork oil info. it seems simple enough I will go pick up some oil tomorrow, how will it change the way the bike rides?

The folks on the Honda Twin Forum just don't seem as obsessed as you XS650 nuts. It's a good little bike for her to learn on and I'm making progress, but I love my XS650 and can't imagine riding something else.

I don't know where the air leak could be on the carbs. I put on new carb holders, or boots or whatever they are called, but I guess it could be the pods. It's not a major problem and for now I'm just going to enjoy riding while I can.

As always thanks for the help.

Last edited:
If you get a new seat I'll happily buy your stock one. Mine has a tear and I like the stock look. So if you wanted to keep the pan we could do a switcheroo just let me know how much if you decide to. Mines an '80 SG I think they're the same.

Back