ABS on an XS.

mark57

mark57
Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering if it was possible to fit an ABS system from a later bike to an 1978 XS,and what would be involved,i am a complete newbie so dont laugh too hard if it cant be done.:)

Hi,
Just wondering if it was possible to fit an ABS system from a later bike to an 1978 XS,and what would be involved,i am a complete newbie so dont laugh too hard if it cant be done.:)

Yes, I'd say its possible, but I suspect it would be quite expensive. Its already very easy to spend thousands of dollars on these bikes. I think that 99% of owners would put ABS at the bottom of there shopping list.

If you like excellent braking, install a 4 piston caliper on the front wheel.

I don't see the appeal. ABS tends to increase braking distances.

In ideal conditions perhaps but that also assume you are a riding God.

For the rest of us mortals I would suggest that we need all the help we can get when a) The road is wet or greasy b) An unexpected hazard appears and c) We have grabbed a handful of front brake.

I think that anyone who thinks they are better than modern day electronic controls are perhaps deluding themselves.

It doesn't take a god to figure out grabbing "a fistfull of brake" is about the worst thing anyone can generally do. Even a well tuned drum setup can exceed a tires ability to stop. If you wind up in a situation like that chances are straight ahead is the last place you want to go.

Furthermore modern day electronics are prone to failures too. Even modern 4 wheel vehicles can have ABS failures. I've been there. My 01 Xterra had a sensor failure at 60k that caused the vehicle to stop like it was on ice on dry pavement. My manual trans saved me, as I was able to downshift to help slow.

Just wondering if it was possible to fit an ABS system from a later bike to an 1978 XS...

It's much easier to fit an ABS system from an earlier bike. :laugh:

HodakWheel14.jpg

you know, its not my thing, but I can certainly admire the ingenuity, especially in what appears to be a rather clean package.

Just because I wouldn't want it doesn't mean options are a bad thing.

It doesn't take a god to figure out grabbing "a fistfull of brake" is about the worst thing anyone can generally do.

I agree completely with you BUT it is often the case that an automatic reaction takes over. On a dry road you might get away with it but on wet?
Modern (and some older) brakes have good stopping ability and if, as you say, they can overcome a tyre then as the coefficient of friction reduces then that would only compound the situation.
Surely a situation when the rider would benefit from some help?

......modern day electronics are prone to failures too. Even modern 4 wheel vehicles can have ABS failures. I've been there. My 01 Xterra had a sensor failure at 60k that caused the vehicle to stop like it was on ice on dry pavement.

Modern electrics can fail but from my own experience, covering in excess of 44K miles per anum for some thirty years. I never suffered any issues. In all of that time I was rarely aware that there were any electronic aids present.....except onece. ABS came to my rescue and saved me from at best a badly dented car.
Nowadays systems perform function checks not only before moving of but also whilst driving. In the unlikely event of a failure then all the driver will be aware of is that a warning light on the dash has come on.

I have experienced, in controlled situations, the difference between driving with and without ABS, stability controls and the like.
Like many drivers I an a driving God (NOT) so I'll stick with the electronics any day.

My 01 Xterra had a sensor failure at 60k that caused the vehicle to stop like it was on ice on dry pavement.

I can understand your reluctance to trust electronics having suffered such a problem.

Many, many moons ago I suffered a front brake cable failure when attempting to stop at traffic lights when the cable pulled through the nipple.
I guess we have to accept that from time to time sh*t happens but a one off incident doesn't mean that it will happen to every other one.....does it?

I agree completely with you BUT it is often the case that
I can understand your reluctance to trust electronics having suffered such a problem.

Many, many moons ago I suffered a front brake cable failure when attempting to stop at traffic lights when the cable pulled through the nipple.
I guess we have to accept that from time to time sh*t happens but a one off incident doesn't mean that it will happen to every other one.....does it?

Only death and taxes are guaranteed in life. I've simply found the more simple a system the less things there are to fail, and as a bonus they are generally easier to repair or maintain. Everyones experience may differ.

that being said I'm sorry to hear about your own predicament. I like to roll around with a 530 master link and some screw on cable ends, experience has taught me that even if I might not need them, someone else might. Its cheap insurance to carry with a few basic hand tools. Might get you or someone else home in a pinch.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-03336?seid=srese1&gclid=COSywP-CusMCFU4kgQodeiMAxQ

Agreed. IMHO If someone learns on/in something with ABS, then they trust (desire) it to be available every time (like learning to drive an automatic before a manual transmission). I passionately condone the employment of a MSF course (although am unsure about the availability of one in OZ), they also try and teach situational awareness.

Not to mention a larger battery (not just size, but CCA), charging system upgrades to handle the control unit, adapter hubs/rings to attatch sensor rings.....and why stop there, why not traction control (BTW I use my throttle for that:D ), gyro assisted cornering ABS, and active suspension controlled by your smartphone........these ARE old bikes from an admittedly simpler time when the pilot (not autopilot) was in control. And the only aid any o' my bikes have is a windscreen. Aerodynamics have been incorporated for......:D......awhile now....

I do follow the KISS method as well:
Keep
It
Simple
STUPID

Then again, I do like the thought of a hot girl with a toned stomach spread over me bike :)

Anti-lock brakes, traction control, all these "helpful" systems are to help stupid people drive. Learn the basics of driving, practice these basics and you won't need all those "helpful" systems.
Leo

XsLeo is right practice situations before they happen. You will react to the problem without thinking.

Posted via Mobile

Anti-lock brakes, traction control, all these "helpful" systems are to help stupid people drive. Learn the basics of driving, practice these basics and you won't need all those "helpful" systems.
Leo

You are indeed a fortunate person, one who has never had a momentary loss of concentration at an inappropriate moment, had some idiot perform a manoeuvre that even Nostrodamus could not have predicted, never had to deal with diesel on a wet road or gravel or black ice, had an animal/ small person run out from behind a parked vehicle..........has practiced so much that is able to anticipate every eventuality.

Unfortunately, the majority of road users (myself included) are human and have to deal with their own and others shortcomings that no amount of practice can overcome.
If we were all perfect then all those who have had their lives saved or injuries reduced would have had no need for 'superfluous' safety items such as seat belts, crumple zones, crash helmets and the like.

IMHO those who say that safety aids are not needed are either over estimating their own abilities (a very common human trait - most of us are not as good as we think we are) or haven't experienced the benefit that such aids can bring.

I salute and am envious of all riding Gods out there...I'm human so happy to take all the help I can. :)

You are assuming that ABS is a good thing on a motorcycle. Me personally, I do not like them on an automobile. Of course I live by K.I.S.S. Thats why I ride an 1978 motorcycle.

Posted via Mobile

After 40 years of riding including some organized roadracing I got an ST1100 with ABS. I put it through it's paces and concluded the ABS was better than me. Yes with regular practice I can get CLOSE to stopping as fast as an ABS in decent conditions. But throw in variable traction, lack of recent practice and a few other variables and it's hard to beat ABS. I still ride both kinds of bikes. When looking at late model bikes ABS is a desired feature. I now have an older K1200LT with ABS, it needs the brake fluid replaced and the ABS makes that considerably more complicated. A sludged ABS control module would pretty much scrap that bike, a replacement module (if you can find one) sells for more than the bike is worth.
I would not consider trying to upgrade an XS650 to ABS, that just isn't practical by any stretch of imagination.
I also agree that complex systems are great when new but neglect maintenance for 10 years and you might be better off not thinking you have a "failsafe" brake at your command.
I also am in the upgrade the standard brakes and keep in practice group. Which you should do even with an ABS system. Without practice you won't know all the options available when things turn to doo-doo.

I run a Prius on a very rural mail route in Wisconsin. MY ABS is on nearly full time on nasty winter days. Traction control is a wonderful device also, now available on some late model motorcycles.

I think if half of the old gomers on here tried a modern bike they would understand why traction control and abs could be necessary.

When I had my ducati 999 I took a street fighter 1098 out for a test. Barely throttled in a corner and what do you know the traction control kicked in and probably saved me from a low side as I broke traction. Pretty neat feature. Can't save you every time, but it was a nice save there. Rookie mistake on a spirited run from a veteran rider. Shit can happen very quickly with 160hp.

Back