Build Thread...Special to Cafe Bike

....you're a clever chap aren't you? Unfortunately, when I try those tactics, I'm always found out and stuff happens.

Lots of bikes came with those Brembo calipers. My Guzzi has them and unfortunately, I have not yet decided what to do with the bike. A 2 lb rotor and Brembo caliper my find its way to an XS very soon. No way I'd hang all that weight on my 650. I have an 11 Special and I can feel it, even with 100 lbs more motorcycle and 50 more horsepower. Somebody has that brake for cheap if you bide your time and go look for it.

The Euro and Oceania models had smaller rotors. Will it work? Yes, it will.
From Wikipedia:

No............ the Oceania models had twin disk front rotors and they were the same rotor the US market had as a single on the front.............The Euro Specials had the twin disk front rotor and they were the small disk ...............the same as the Special rear.

Euro twin disk rotor models had a different front fork lower.............the mounts for the Caliper are lower on the fork leg.

Very nice - thanks Skull! That bike must hard to catch in the twisties!
Pete

Posted the link for the rear set, set up...............Although you won't need to vary the set, it shows the different settings for variations on the set up for longer legs.........Just a thought, due to your post on the worries of being able to ride long distances with rear sets.

No............ the Oceania models had twin disk front rotors and they were the same rotor the US market had as a single on the front.............The Euro Specials had the twin disk front rotor and they were the small disk ...............the same as the Special rear.

Euro twin disk rotor models had a different front fork lower.............the mounts for the Caliper are lower on the fork leg.

I just got schooled. More knowledge that can't earn me money. Thank you! You got 14 lbs of rotors on your XS650. Wow!

All good Marty.......If it makes you feel any better..................I don't make any money out of all the XS650 knowledge i have either.....................:lmao:;)

I did make it sound a bit.................NO..............Your WRONG :doh:................Actually i thought you had got that info from Wikpedia

Here is a solution to every ones concern about the un-sprung weight...............I weighed my front rotor and my scales have saved 1/2lb already. 2 rotors 13lb 8oz ;)

For looks as well as function and less un-sprung weight
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GoranXS650/library/XS650 Tinnis Project/Brake Discs?sort=4&page=1
2003-08-09FrontBrake.jpg

................Actually i thought you had got that info from Wikpedia

I do like Wikipedia, but I won't go there for info on XS650. My knowledge already exceeds that on Wikipedia. I'm pretty good on other useless subjects as well. To think what I could have done with this brain. :doh:

Not to worry all. I know the principles and I can do the math. I suspect that for an average rider (or possibly one who is less capable than average....), the effect of the added unsprung mass will be minimal, if not undetectable.

The added braking effectiveness will, however, be welcome and the chick magnet effect....priceless.

....besides, no heavy cast wheels for me - mines a Heritage Special!! :rock:

:cool:

Thanks guys! Now all I need is a suit in a goofy colour (perhaps something to match the tank on Lucille - my red '76....), some red or yellow shoes, a massive attitude problem, and I'm good to go!

Tee hee!
:devil:

Not to worry all. I know the principles and I can do the math. I suspect that for an average rider (or possibly one who is less capable than average....), the effect of the added unsprung mass will be minimal, if not undetectable.

The added braking effectiveness will, however, be welcome and the chick magnet effect....priceless.

....besides, no heavy cast wheels for me - mines a Heritage Special!! :rock:
Hi Pete,
your Heritage Special a US import?
My Canadian Heritage Special, along with all the other Canadian XS650 Specials I've seen, came with 7-spoke cast aluminum wheels.
Which, to the accuracy limits of an old guy clutching a wheel while standing on a bathroom scale,
weighed the same as the mid-'70's XS650 aluminum rim wire wheels I was swapping them for.
Please note that the ISAHI IRONWORKS lettering on the cast wheels is the name of the company that made them, NOT what the wheels are made of.

I have a 5mm thick SR500 disc on mine. It saves about a pound but is still pretty heavy (about 5 lbs). I can't say I notice any difference in the handling but maybe that's because the weight isn't changed that much. What does happen is that thinner disc gets hotter faster. It's never gotten to the point where the braking started to degrade, but it does heat up quicker.

Personally, I don't feel a double disc is needed on this bike. A well sorted single disc works just fine. I'm perfectly happy with the stock disc, caliper, MC, and pads. The only thing I feel must be changed is the line. The stainless line fixed mine and restored the rubber lever feel to a nice firm, hard one.

My buddy replaced his MC with a new one from 3M, the supposed brake expert. I think it's shit. The lever is all mushy. I don't know what size it is but with the terrible lever feel, I'm not even taking the size into consideration. Size doesn't matter when the lever feels like pulling on a rubber band, lol.

5twins both my 78's now have cleaned and jetted carbs. Your chart was awesome help! Am very patiently waiting to test my brakes on both as well, one single, one double, both upgraded and needing my own comparison ! So Fun ! :bike:

Back