Cam Chain Tension - Is this normal ?

You can't buy the copper damper washer from Yamaha anymore, they've discontinued it. They only sell the later, thicker rubber/metal damper washer now and it's ridiculously expensive (about $11). Besides, as I mentioned, it doesn't fit up right on the older Type D and early type E assemblies with the 60mm long adjusting bolts. If you need a damper washer for your type D or E adjuster, measure the length of the adjuster bolt. That will tell you the thickness of the damper washer you require. The early 60mm long adjuster bolts use the 2mm thick copper washer. The late 59mm long bolts are made for use with the "new" 3mm thick rubber/metal washer.

To answer a few of the points you have made . . .

5twins, what I have bought via ebay is the copper damper washer - seller claims it is genuine Yamaha old stock. Here is the link - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232242469105

Have measured the threaded adjuster and it's 60mm which is consistent with your suggestion that there is a copper damper/washer missing.

I am worried that the chain may be worn out and I don't know how I will know. Unless it goes POP - which I hope not. My bike has been fitted with Boyer Bransden and points removed so no timing plate to check. I will add replacing the cam chain to the list of, uhm, aspirations. Jobs I fully intend to do when the time comes . . .

DogBunny, the washer I've bought looks quite dished as you say. Will probably replace the steel one before I start the bike again. For more history of my XS650, see my thread Hello from new member.

Cheers, Raymond

I bought 3 dampers a year ago. I'm almost 100% certain I got them from Partzilla at about $3 each plus shipping, but maybe I'm remembering wrong, and I bought NOS eBay ones. You are right, they are no longer available from Yamaha (Partzilla), but there are plenty on eBay. Raymond, you bought the correct one.

I think you can still check your timing with the Boyer ignition and it would be worth doing so to detect a worn out timing chain.

P

I think you can still check your timing with the Boyer ignition and it would be worth doing so to detect a worn out timing chain.

Hi Pete, how would that work? I don't have a strobe but might be able to borrow. Have only ever used one to check the spark timing. Cheers, Raymond

The cam chain tensioner pushes against the back run of the chain to take the slack out of it. This rolls the cam backwards a little bit and retards the timing some in the process. You compensate for this by adjusting the timing plate, advancing it, but eventually as the chain gets too stretched, you run out of adjustment slot on the plate. I'm not sure how the Boyer timing is adjusted, but if it has a slotted timing plate you adjust, it could very well run out of adjustment too.

Electronic ignitions are supposed to be "set and forget" but you should still check yours. You don't know if the last guy set it right.

There's another way to check for cam chain stretch. On the right end of the cam, there's a little hole for a locating pin for the advance unit. With the motor set at TDC, this pin hole should face straight up or straight down .....

LtcAPtO.jpg

MaxPete, 5twins, thank you both, I know what to look for now.
I hadn't understood that the chain can stretch enough to put the timing significantly 'out'.
With the Boyer igniter, the ignition can be set statically to approximately the right position by aligning one of the sender magnets with a hole in the timing plate while the engine is the Full advance position. But to set accurately, I don't think there is an alternative to strobing it, which will have to wait a while.
Meanwhile, I can check locator pin hole in r/h end of camshaft as suggested.

You compensate for this by adjusting the timing plate, advancing it, but eventually as the chain gets too stretched, you run out of adjustment slot on the plate. I'm not sure how the Boyer timing is adjusted, but if it has a slotted timing plate you adjust, it could very well run out of adjustment too.
A Boyer does not use the timing pins. It can be set anywhere. Therefor you can compensate for a stretched cam chain. Their instructions are very explicit that the final adjustments are checked with a timing light.

Last edited:
Thank you 2ManyXS1Bs, a lot of useful information there, it's going to be easier to check on my bike with no points gubbins in the way.

Back