1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Center Stands (are they interchangeable ) ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scripto VU, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    Will a 1975 XS650 B center stand, interchange with a 1974 TX650A ?

I am looking for advice from a person that has experience sorting out a 1974 TX650A wiring harness. My bike runs but inside the headlight bucket looks like a plate of fettuccine . ( bought it that way)
    Who on the site can I impose on ? ( I might be able to bribe you with "things" of unspeakable value.) I have installed a Pamco ignition and at the moment am going to retain the stock charging system. I am confused about wiring diagrams available.

2. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    Pretty sure they're interchangeable. But they can be slightly different designs and some are H shaped and others were made with one leg bent more to the side to help the tang clear the muffler. If you buy one on ebay, make sure it still has the tang! Preferably a gusseted tang. Inside the headlight -- are all the connectors original? If so though it looks like a mess the connectors can only go back one way, like one connector of each type. Remove the bucket and brush it inside good and spray it with Rust Reformer. If I had it to do over I would get a new stock harness and use that, because the connectors have gotten pretty degraded. The crimps go bad and they're near impossible to get out the the shells to fix.

3. peterg

peterg XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Canada
    Same stand was used from 74 to 83.

4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

The wiring inside the headlight bucket is a mess. The bucket is shallow and mostly filled with the headlight. When I cleaned mine up it had all kinds of extensions soldered in there ( very poorly) because I finally figured out, at one time it had buckhorn handlebars.
    I removed all the extensions and made clean solder joints, shined up all the connections with a small wire wheel and a Dremel, sprayed contact cleaner in all the plug connections.
    Just take your time with it and be methodical, and if you start pulling things apart I highly recommend labeling your wires because the same color wires can go to different connections.

Starting at post #606
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-31

Starting at #623+628
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-32

Starting at #693
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-35

TwoManyXS1Bs and robinc like this.
  5. Scripto VU

usa.
    I am totally amazed at the compassion you all show for the each other, your bikes and the culture on this site.

thank you for the advice and words of encouragement.

6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Here's what you'll need to look for .....

[​IMG]

On the '70 to '73 frames, the spacing between the stand pivots is different.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    TwoManyXS1Bs and robinc like this.
  7. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Inside the headlight bucket are three wires that have bullet connectors. A Green, a Yellow and a Black wire. These pug into the three prong plug that hooks to the headlight. Green is low beam, yellow is high beam, black is ground.
    Also in there is a dark green wire with a bullet connector, this one goes to the right side turn signal. They are not to hard to mix up. They are almost the same color.
    So if you get thing wired up and the headlight won't light on low beam, check to see if the right turn lights. Is so you have those wires reversed.
    Leo

8. Scripto VU

usa.
    thank you great wiring info, with Leo's info i got a good start "fishing"

9. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yup - it truly is a delightful group. There are lots of different personalities here ranging from endlessly kind and patient to invariably gruff and occasionally a bit grumpy - but in the main, the group is generous with help and genuinely concerned that you get your bike into a safe and reliable condition and in the process, you become a contributing member as well.

Pete

TwoManyXS1Bs, robinc and Mailman like this.
  10. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

Welcome!!!!!! I can be described as gruff and grumpy, but actually, I am curt and terse.

Scott

11. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

"Compassion" well not always, as long as you dont advocate running with no front brake we're pretty easy going. LOL

12. Scripto VU

usa.
    I just want to go on more “safe” adventures.
    Be around good energy. Connect with good like minded people. Learn some new things and grow .
    ( I like front brakes, I am 64 years old and need them )

MaxPete, gggGary, robinc and 2 others like this.
  13. xjwmx

xjwmx XS650 Guru Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    It's how we set you up for a sucker punch. You won't know what hit you.

14. It seems, to me anyway, that whenever I work in one of these headlight buckets I come away bleeding....kinda like cutting Hedge Apple for firewood - it's expected.

gggGary likes this.
  15. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

74 and 75 were basically the same bike. Seems the wiring diagrams for the 74 may be for the 75 as well, although most wiring diagrams show the 75 and 76 as being the same. Information and questions posted on the site also seem to confirm the 74 loom is the same as the 75 and there are a couple of couplings on the 74 that are not used.

Center stands for the Standards did have some changes through the years because the muffler changed so the sidestand tang changed to fit the muffler.

Go to theXScafe.com and scroll down the left hand side and look for Manuals and it will give you all the manuals, parts manuals from 70 - 83 and assembly manuals from 70-76. Assembly manuals have the wiring diagrams for the bucket.

Look for any nicks loose wires or poorly made connectors with wires showing that could cause a short I found after taking pics and having a good look i found a lot of damage i may have missed just by eye balling.
    74 TXA Assembly manual - parts  Manualt17 17.jpg f P1110395 copy 1.jpg f P1110360.jpg f P1110371.jpg

Pays to untangle as much as you can while in the bucket. It makes for an easier job when laying it all back before installing the headlight
    DSCF7015 3.jpg

16. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi 5twins,
    before I installed that particular centrestand I'd have a sturdy gusset welded between the stand and the tang
    like the later stands had.
    It takes gorilla-strength to stretch that hellish strong return spring into place when putting the centrestand back on.
    What I do is put the spring on FIRST then use a tapered pin to pull each pivot hole into alignment and put the pivot pin in.
    And yes to installing grease nipples although MikesXS sells upgraded pivot pins with grease nipples in them for those who
    don't have the hardware to DIY.

Scripto VU and MaxPete like this.
  17. 5twins

...... and fat wallets. I was just looking at those MikesXS pivot pins the other day. They're $18.95 .... EACH!!!. Thanks but no thanks, not when I can accomplish the same thing for $2, lol.

MaxPete likes this.
  18. Scripto VU

usa.

this is exactly what i was looking for.

thank you very much. (as the kids say i am crazy ready to do this !)

19. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi 5twins,
    a bargain! You should see what the Canadian MikesXS outlet sells them for.
    However, your $2 does not include the $100's-worth of hardware you'd need to have
    at hand to do the job. Not to mention the necessary skills.

MaxPete likes this.
  20. 5twins

I don't regret for a minute buying that $70 used stick welder from a guy at work 20 some years ago. It has saved me literally 100s, maybe even a few thousand dollars over the years.

MaxPete and weekendrider like this.