Chipped Surface

mwb122

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got home with a 78 special. Oil seal was leaking when i cranked the bike when purchasing. Picked it up anyway and now that I have pulled the cover and looked I have found that there is a chip in the sealing surface. Any ideas on a repair?

Hi, firstly welcome to the forum.

Pictures and the area the oil leak is would help us with a solution. However, it sounds, from your description, a little JB weld in the chip would solve the leak

not at home right now. will take a pic and add as soon as i can. the chip is actually about 1/16" above the clutch rod seal in the side of lower case. it extends down into the hole and takes out a part of the seal surface. Thanks for the fast replies.

Ok I have a couple of pic's and my work cut out for me. Looks like my previous owner chipped the case at the clutch push rod oil seal. And honestly it looks bad. My plan at this point is to put a washer in the back of the hole and pack with grease. clean up the chipped area, replace the old seal. Then mix up some JB weld and fill the area. Let it set up for a day, remove the seal and start working the JB smooth at the seal surface. Any thoughts on if this is worth a shot?

Attachments

• 20131217_180005.jpg
    20131217_180005.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 305
It looks like someone's made a half arsed effort to remove the seal. There are two options. 1 JB weld the crack up, replace the seal and see how it goes. With luck it should all be fine and there'll be no leaking
2 split the cases and weld up or replace them

I would try option 1 first :)

Pull the seal and get a better look at the damage. I would replace the bushing behind the seal. It is usually why the seal leaks. The JB weld should stop the leak.

I think you can relax, it will seal up fine with gooper. Those goofy POs, wonder what kind of grinder he did that with. It does raise the warning flag though, trust NOTHING about this bike. This is a warning sign that he knew little or NOTHING but didn't let that stop him. I would be a careful looking out for stripped threads and other botched "repairs". No sense using a toothbrush when the jackhammer is just laying around doing nothing...... More pics? What are your plans for the bike?

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the advice. Bushing is on the way from Mike's. Ten dollars shipping on a less than 5 dollar part, wow. I call that excess!! Must weigh all of a few grams. Thinking I can use a ¾” screw extractor hand threaded into the old bushing for removal. “Comments/Your experience welcome on this one.” Replace bushing, seal and rod. Tilt bike build a masking tape dam and then a little JB Weld. Again comment welcome on this. This is my first experience with a build on a bike. Want to get it going and then decide what to do. Always wanted a bobber, but since I brought this one home my son has decided he would like to give the street a whirl. I’m thinking why not, but will require him to take a safety course and get a permit first. Heck I’ll even pay for it if he wants to start riding. Again thanks for the advice!!!

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the advice. Bushing is on the way from Mike's. Ten dollars shipping on a less than 5 dollar part, wow. I call that excess!! Must weigh all of a few grams. Thinking I can use a ¾"screw extractor hand threaded into the old bushing for removal. "Comments/Your experience welcome on this one." Replace bushing, seal and rod. Tilt bike build a masking tape dam and then a little JB Weld. Again comment welcome on this. This is my first experience with a build on a bike. Want to get it going and then decide what to do. Always wanted a bobber, but since I brought this one home my son has decided he would like to give the street a whirl. I'm thinking why not, but will require him to take a safety course and get a permit first. Heck I'll even pay for it if he wants to start riding. Again thanks for the advice!!!

excellent first street bike if used with a healthy dose of common sense, enough power to keep him out of trouble but not so radical it would cause its own problems, safety course is good not having to learn some lessons the hard way never hurts,
"learn from others mistakes you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself"

Its not a structural area. If it were my bike Id replace the bushing, clean real good with lacquer thinner install new seal and then use black permatex. The cone applicator will let you inject into the crack opening and do a LITTLE extra outward onto the aluminum and the seal surface. (Not so far as to reach the rod)

I used permatex black on my XS1100- the area was hard to get at and gravity kept letting the JB run and sag. (Above cam chain tensioner under the cyl head- between header pipes) Did the silicone repair in the fall of 2010 and its still leak free.

Update, I got the bushing today, installed it and the new seal. Was still thinking about the jbweld, but have decided to go with the black permatex. I like the idea of the nozzle helping place it where I want it and running a bead all the way around the outside of the seal. What a difference a new bushing makes. Shaft wobble is close to zero now. Will get the permatex and seal it up tomorrow. Maybe running on Christmas day. Thanks to everyone for all of the great advise. Mike

If it was my bike I would take it apart and have it welded up. Better to do it right and not have to worry about it. I only use JB weld to get me through the short-term until I can fix something the right way.

Getting the bush out was easy. When you take the side cover off you will expose the end of the clutch push rod. Just remove it by pulling it out. Be very careful not to loose any of the ball bearings. Total of 3 if you have a 2 piece push rod. One however is captured in the worm gear assembly that you removed with the side case. Familiarize yourself with the location of these using drawings and other posts here on the subject. I also found some good info on u-tube videos searching on xs650 clutch push rod bushing. I used a hook that came with a small pick set that I have found to be a valuable addition to my tool box. Just stuck the hook through the center and grabbed the back of the seal and pulled it straight out. Using a bush removal tool that looks like a pick ax is how this happened this in the first place. I learned this after getting the bike home,finding the leak and talking to the PO. Wel he did apologize for not disclosing at the sale and said he had thought that had happened on a different bike. Any way i would use either the hook or work a flat blade screwdriver through the hole at an angle and pull the bush out. As far as welding well I will wait until i need to pull the cases apart to do that. For now she is running great.

Back