Engine not run in 5 years. How do I resurrect it?

Enginerd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I have a 75 XS 650 that I've owned since 1996. Due to work circumstances, it hasnt been started since 2010. Now that I have a bit more time, I've decided to build a scrambler. I have purchased another frame and modified it while keeping my original 75 Standard rolling chassis.

Here's my 80 roller that the engine will go into.
1zd0igy.jpg

I have pulled the engine from the original 75 XS, and I intend to put it into the new frame. But as I mentioned earlier, the engine has not run in 5 years. What should I do to the engine while it is out of the frame to ensure longevity in the years to come?

Here's what I propose so far:
  • New Cam Chain
  • New FRONT and REAR plastic cam chain guides
  • New Valve Springs
  • Change sump filter and right side filter
  • EX500 carbs to replace OEM BS38's
  • PMA setup to make a minimalist, clean and reliable system in the new frame. (Engine currently has a Boyer setup up top)

Any other suggestions folks?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You can run a Powerdynamo without a battery or capacitor. It can be "minimalist" or in the future you can add a battery etc. Overall the ignition/charging system for the XS650.

The cam chain is a good idea. The front guide is the one with issues, the rear guide seldom fails.
New valve springs won't hurt. I still run the stock springs on my 75.
Changing the filters isn't really needed. They are designed to be cleaned and reused. If your sump filter is torn it can be patched. What ever epoxy you like. I like JB Weld. If the tears are to big for sealing, then cut patches out of sheet metal. I use soda cans. Cut the patch a bit bigger than the hole. "Glue" in place with epoxy. A coat around the edges to unsure a good seal.
Having a second set is handy. Speeds up the oil changes. Having an extra sump plate with filter installed on it make it even quicker.
Drain oil, swap filters, clean dirty filters anytime before next oil change.
Swapping the stock carbs to the EX500 is a good upgrade. Being linked carbs they are easier to sync. They are a more modern carb design. This makes tuning easier.
I have a set on my 750 kitted 75. Never ran better.
"PMA ignition" no such thing. The PMA is an alternator, the Boyer is an ignition.
Leo

Back