Going back to stock charging system

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
Ok so im trying to figure out what's going on...have a 78 with pamco and hhb pma..been fine for 5 years..coming home from work bike started dying and backfiring..had battery tested and they said it was dead would not charge..so bought new battery..rode for a week fine..then did the same thing...i tested battery and its about 12.5. the bike starts but will not idle unless I give it gas..if I let go it dies...i tried giving it gas and testing voltage with revs im only getting high 12's ..i been trying to browse threads on this already but I'm trying to figure out how to test reg/rec...my voltmeter skills are limited but am willing to try with some guidance.

I know you can test the rectifier section of a reg/rec for the stock system, no way to test the reg section.
I don't know if the stock rectifier tests work on a PMA reg/rec.
Easy way to test is to try a known good one.
Leo

Screenshot_20170909-181343.png
I got my vr 115 from auto part store 27 bucks..3 phase rectifier next ...about 10 bucks on ebay..stop by radio shack for a heat sink ..rotor and woodruff key on its way from gggary...just waiting for everything to get here...did my research and have wiring down..i think lol..this for reference

Last edited:
I don't cut the plug off the VR115. It's wiring harness is usually very short, too short to reach up to the harness plug on top of the battery box, so an extension is needed. I make one that will plug right into the existing VR115 connector. I use a matching plug for the bike harness on the other end. The red/orange and yellow are combined into one crimp there .....

cM8H9Wt.jpg

MPhpUJQ.jpg

I use no plug on the VR115 end, just individual male spades .....

IT9g0fC.jpg

Then, to keep them plugged in, a couple wire ties .....

7151KrL.jpg

The wiring gets routed behind the battery box, between it and the rear inner fender .....

lzD5mXR.jpg

Last edited:
ive decided to go back to stock charging system..vr115 reg and
That's not the stock charging system. That's the charging system some hacker came up with to convince you they're bright.

That's not the stock charging system. That's the charging system some hacker came up with to convince you they're bright.

That's right, you told him it was an "incomplete" system. That incomplete system is working better than stock on two of my bikes, soon to be three. I think he's a pretty bright guy, he convinced me, and others too.

Scott

I don't know what you're talking about, but I know what I'm talking about :)

I don't know what you're talking about, but I know what I'm talking about :)
http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-electrical-parts-to-replace.2304/

It starts at post #7 and #12 and #16, and it goes on and on. The guy is giving us the info and instruction for the best mod ever performed on a bike, many bikes and brands/models. The same components used by Oregon, that they sell for $150 with sub-harness, and all the time you are harassing him. I always wondered how much more detailed his instruction would have been, and what questions he would have answered if you would not have been harassing him.

Scott

http://www.xs650.com/threads/what-electrical-parts-to-replace.2304/

It starts at post #12 and #16, and it goes on and on. The guy is giving us the info and instruction for the best mod ever performed on a bike, many bikes and brands/models. The same components used by Oregon, that they sell for $150 with sub-harness, and all the time you are harassing him. I always wondered how much more detailed his instruction would have been, and what questions he would have answered if you would not have been harassing him.

Scott
Put your reg/rec back on if he didn't convince you to throw it away.

He's just a troll MTW............don't raise to the bait.........He removed his post after he he admitted and posted he had made the comments i quoted in post #11...........

LOL what I deleted was something like "yes, I said that", referring to everyone's favorite member's post:
"That's not the stock charging system. That's the charging system some hacker came up with to convince you they're bright.

you're still here, decade after decade, not doing much except correcting the behavior of other grownups,"
which is a goofy non-sequitur to try and start something. I realized I'd taken the bait. So I admit I said those horribly true things :)

Yes it is the stock method of charging. Pamcopete is certainly not a hacker........................his Pamco ignition is an amazing ignition, that got even better with the E-advancer.

His idea to use automotive regulators and off the shelf rectifiers was very innovative and has been very reliable over 10 years on my bike.
It would be very hard to find anyone, that has made more of contribution to this XS650 hobby, than Pamcopete.

Yes it is the stock method of charging. Pamcopete is certainly not a hacker........................his Pamco ignition is an amazing ignition, that got even better with the E-advancer.

His idea to use automotive regulators and off the shelf rectifiers was very innovative and has been very reliable over 10 years on my bike.
It would be very hard to find anyone, that has made more of contribution to this XS650 hobby, than Pamcopete.

I re-read that old thread again. I stand by what I said, but I'm much more chill in my old age :) Whether something works isn't the issue here -- I'm questioning the need and the pushing of it by insisting your old parts are bad. As far as designing goes, my work is a good portion of a design in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian. I have good judgement.

Back