Hello from Texas. New Xs650 Owner

OldskoolXS650

Obsessed XS650 Owner
Reaction score
I just got my bike it's a xs650 with a TC Brothres hard tail. I have only had a chance to ride a little and found I need a chain tensioner. I ordered one from Mastercraftsman. I would like to know all suggestions for upgrade since all is stock at the moment. Thanks

Posted via Mobile

Howdy OldskoolXS650, welcome to the forum.

This place is just chock full of XS650 tech and ideas. Fire up a gallon of coffee and cruise thru the "Tech" section, then try using the search function using words like "hardtail" and "tensioner". Guarantee that you'll find things that you never thought to ask...

Another Texan here. You say the bike is stock but hard tailed. Before you get into a lot of upgrading, it would be good for you to get intimate with the stock setup. Helps you learn what each change does. What year is your bike?

Thanks for your replys I have been reading tech before I registered a lot of good info. My bike is 1982 when I say stock I meant motor and charging wise. I was thinking Pamco and PMA would be agood idea?

If what you have is working, I wouldn't mess with success. The charging system is pretty decent when maintained (check your brushes) and the TCI ignition is solid, so no real advantage of doing the Pamco before it's time, but you might want to find the hard parts you'll need to go Pamco if you intend to hang on to the bike. Even if you don't those parts will be worth the money in a horse trade with someone who knows. You could upgrade the coil to one that will still be compatible with the Pamco and maybe gain a hotter spark and some efficiency.
You do have the luxury of shopping around for what you want as long as what you have is still running. Is your intake and exhaust still stock? Front forks?

Will the Pamco Ultimate coil from Mikesxs work with the TCI until I get ready to make the Pamco switch? The airbox is removed and pleated cones filters installed.

As you may read here, the pleated filters with no airbox is not exactly ideal. Much better tuning and performance is achieved with the foam Uni filters. Several of us have K&Ns in the airbox, and they seem to do fine, but the airbox is a "still air" type. Without the airbox turbulent uneven pressure is apparent and leads to slide flutter by several reports.

Back