Hi all, 1st time rebuild

May as well go all out and go for a larger bore sleeve and pistons!

Good luck, you can do anything you put your mind and hands to!

There is no damage to the cylinder head or jugs but the sleeve (where the piston goes up and down in) is very scratched and gouged on the right cylinder, the left side is completely fine.

My mechanic was scratching the top of the pistons to see if there was any marking numbers and we couldnt find any - indicating that they are stock? I'll get more pics once we split the case.

Crank rotates freely, its just the right rod that has alot of play.

As for a big bore, I'm not sure if I want that. It may not be the point, but Ive already got other bikes - R1, XS1100 that has plenty of power if bigger cc was the end goal.

Also, my mechanic is wanting to charge me $50p/h for him to come over and show me how to rebuild these engines and any other motorbike related things. Kind of like 'teach a man to fish' approach where he will guide me and show me how its done.

Here's is a tip from me to Australia - save your money. Instead spend time reading the manual and guides on the forum, and the many, many threads.

Some of us, Carbon for instance (and just look at his videos, wow!) started out knowing nothing about these bikes, but just asked for help, and now his videos have inspired me. Then there is the wonderful carb guide by 5twins and Grizld1 - they have put hours of work in to help the rest of us. Let's learn together, my friend.

Get the manual, get the computer, get asking questions.

If you have a little bit of space, some tools, patience and a detrmination to succeed, you will rebuild that bike yourself, and be proud of it. These engines are not sophisticated monsters, they are robust and (when you get to know them) loveable and really simply. Yes, they are old, but if you have other bikes to keep you going, you will have that engine ready for the next season all by your little-own-self.

Anlaf

nozila, let me start you off - sort out the bottom end first. Get yourself zip bags and labels, and video everything if you can as a record of how you took something apart so you will know how it should go back together.

You might be able to pick up a complete crankshaft assembly on the Web - it matters not if the conrods are 447 or 533, you need new pistons anyway.

Once you have swapped the crankshaft (repaired of purchased another) you are halfway there. If you want to know how to rebuild a top-end I have on my fourth rebuild, and Carbon's videos are a must. Top-end done with new matching pistons, rings and jugs and you are nearly there. The carbs can be done on a table following the carb guide.

Then you can put it together. You don't need to pay for that advice - it is here.

Save your money for electronic ignition and a PMA if you feel you want to go that way, or to renew the charging system.

Most of all, enjoy it, my friend.

Anlaf

It's really just the lack of tools. Clutch puller,rubber mallets, carby synchronizer etc I have the manuals, even entire German one that was once uploaded here somewhere, simplified my own wiring on my 1100, updated speedometer on R1.

I was just thinking the extra knowledge and hands on tutoring doesn't go astray-even at a cost.

Thanks Anlaf, I know what your saying. Seen both yours and Carbon's video many a times via YouTube. I teach others for a living, so I guess it says a lot if I take easy route and pay others to teach me.

Nozila, once you get going, into the swing, you will be fine. If you need some tutoring to get you going, well that's fine, too.

Whatever you do, just enjoy the journey to that first roar.

Anlaf

Just do it! I was shit scared of doing mine, and mie was in boxes already taken apart!

Check out my engine build thread, it really is easier than you think, and I do not have a lot of tools either!

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30786

Buy a few spanners, a socket set, and a hammer, and borrow the rest off your mechanic mate. That's what I did, my mate is a mechanic as well so he's got EVERYTHING you can think of.

If you get stuck, or are unsure, post up here, someone will chime in(as long as you searched first lol) and help out.

When it's done, the satisfaction knowing that you did it, is absolutely worth it!

Good luck and have fun!!

Xs650 engines are quite scarce here in Australia. Most if not all parts will have to be imported. Thanks for encouragement all. Will keep you updated.

gggGary, I got myself a donor engine, and it has proved very useful. I was very lucky my second project (the Spider Bobber) came with so many extra bits and boxes and that donor engine, too.

Anlaf

South Australia.

Yeah,they are rare and when they do come up for sale, there not cheap.

I'm looking at probably getting a kit from mikes xa or 650central. Works out cheaper then fixing the current barrel.

I was actually looking at bidding on that engine but seller with 0 feedback and being interstate gave me second thoughts.

So I assume I start the bottom end tear down by first removing the clutch and basket. If so, do I require a clutch puller or can I remove it without one? I've just got basic sockets and spanners, no special tools what so ever.

You will need to shift that clutch centre nut - impact gun! Yes, I know you haven't got the tools, but I took my engine down to the local tyre shop and they gave it a couple of zaps to release it. On my other engine i wedged some chain at the drive sprocket, and got enough muscle power to turn that nut with the socket.

Come on, nozila, you can do it.

Anlaf

The nut flat size varied, I have used 27mm and 1 1/8" (28mm) on an impact wrench to remove them no holder tool needed even with the cylinders off.

Back