How rare is a 1978 XS650E standard?

Quote;
" It was imported here (UK) from the USA and was inspected
by the registration guy and was deemed to have been manufactured in 1977 and so has a '77 plate. Suits me."

Ever since I was a young kid, the new car/truck/ motorcycle models, were always released to the public around August or September, for the next model year. When you paid money for a new vehicle in September or October for example, you paid top dollar because it was a new model year.
If you bought the last year model in Sept or Oct you would get a discounted price, because they are an older model and not as desirable.
As an example, why would anyone want to have a 1978 model registered as a 1977??
If you go to re-sell it, the buyer will say its an older model and not want to pay as much for it.

I'll agree with your entire post, RG. I just have a 'weird' tendency to believe Legal Docs.
Maybe he was selling it as RARE '77 Special, I just don't remember. It was sold and I'd bet the
new owner is happy.

True - but some people simply MUST HAVE to have the latest and greatest....

I have one too, now in restauration.
Imported from the usa in Holland.
Hi guys Slipshot1959 im new to the site Heres a pic of my 78e 14'534 original miles
yamaha 7.jpg

I don't think the XS650E is particularly rare, but I've been told the Special outsold it by a ratio of seven to one. I'm not even sure if that's worldwide or just the North American market.

Yamaha led the "Cruiser" charge with the 650 Special in 1978, sold a ton of them. Honda jumped on the bandwagon the following year. Then Yamaha jumped into the "Midnight Special", all black with black chrome(?) pipes too. Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki had inline fours but Yamaha led the cruiser wars for a year or two anyway.:D

I went to buy a 78e std in late 78 off my dealer at 19 years old.He was expecting to get only a couple more that year and never did. I ended up buying a blue 79Special in spring of 79 after getting impatient. I did however purchase a fine 78e std (star black)in 09 that I rode a couple years while I was into early XS650/Tx 650’s and parts.It got away.I would have the chance now and again as I tapered off from m/c gigging to buy a 78e Star Black but never the green nor do I recall anybody having one. I assume Green is still in the harder to find category even now.

I have only seen one in black up close and personal. My own came to me without any tins, so I don't know if it was green or Starmist Black.
Having had quite a few 650’s I honestly have not been in a conversation of whether or not Yamaha provided a code number or a specific marking on the machine that defines color in 77 up when they made more than one color,or for that matter even the single color years.Always used serial numbers or appearance factors.I’m aware other colors for these early years existed in production overseas,and no idea of depicting color code or markings on those either. I’m open to learning more.

Back