How rare is a 1978 XS650E standard?

I've never seen a green one in my area either. But, truth be told, the only Standard I've ever seen around here is the black one I'm riding, lol. All I've ever seen out on the road is an occasional Special. Think I saw a bobber once too.

I've never seen a green one in my area either. But, truth be told, the only Standard I've ever seen around here is the black one I'm riding, lol. All I've ever seen out on the road is an occasional Special. Think I saw a bobber once too.
XS650 rallies are where it's at! From the Atlanta area it was easy to go to a bunch of them, and for a time I hosted the Dogwood Rally. In the Ozarks, we all ride XS650s. I just love it!

I’ve got a green one not 100% standard but that’s how I got it and will be going up for sale in the spring but hard to put a value on as not seen another for sale in the 4yrs that I’ve owned it!

Attachments

• A61CFA91-6A00-4FD7-ADEA-C13F1FF5164D.jpeg
    A61CFA91-6A00-4FD7-ADEA-C13F1FF5164D.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 79
  • AF11BBF5-C9B6-4E9F-8CF0-866521F3BA4E.jpeg
    AF11BBF5-C9B6-4E9F-8CF0-866521F3BA4E.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 79
Interesting little changes.Still looks nice.Unquestionably not the only one waiting to see the price you put on it in the spring for mostly curiously purposes.

I’ve got a green one not 100% standard but that’s how I got it and will be going up for sale in the spring but hard to put a value on as not seen another for sale in the 4yrs that I’ve owned it!
Your seat is from a 1979 XS650F (standard), a direct swap. Nice!

Not a common model, and not many on this site...................5twins has one. It was the first year for the Special, and it seems everyone wanted the new styling of the Specials. Apparently there was a 1979 Standard, but they are even more rare.

Thats bike is in super condition..................a very good buy on your part.

I like my 78 Special, but if I came upon a 78 Standard, I'd buy it up real quick. I like both styles.
I just got a 78 standard

Not a common model, and not many on this site...................5twins has one. It was the first year for the Special, and it seems everyone wanted the new styling of the Specials. Apparently there was a 1979 Standard, but they are even more rare.

Thats bike is in super condition..................a very good buy on your part.

I like my 78 Special, but if I came upon a 78 Standard, I'd buy it up real quick. I like both styles.
I just got a 78 standard but don't know what I'm going to do with it

Major differences are the slightly more angled rear shocks and the 16" rear wheel. This gives it more of a "chopper" look. Now, I heard the 18" rear wheel handles better but now that I have both bikes, I can't say that's true. One of the first things I did to my Special was swap an 18" rear wheel onto it and there was no major difference in handling, it may steer a hair quicker is all. I ended up going back to the 16" rear. I think the bike looks and rides better with it.

Back