Thank you Mike. Fortunately the bike hasn't been chopped. Believe it or not I found the bike in a little town in Wyoming. I even have the original Wyoming title. It was almost a "pickers" scenario. I got it and a "72" from the same guy.

Cool news! Congrats!

There is one group of 650s that don't show on your charts.....the rarest of all, but they do exist. They were built in July of 1971 as 1972 models. They are identical to the regular XS2 in almost every way. The vin number starts with GS650-102651 THROUGH GS650-102850. As in all XS2s, the frame and engine numbers match. The big difference between these 200 machines and all other XS2s is that the cylinder is stamped with 743cc--not 653cc. These were the 200 XS2s with 750 topends used to homologate the 650/750 for AMA competion. They were sold without warranty and, as a result, Yamaha USA still shows these machines sitting at the original dealers they were shipped to.
I am fortunate enough to have one of these machines and I only know of one other survivor. It is an interesting bit of Yamaha history that came in under the radar.

- i knew about these bikes but had never been able to track the engine numbers

inxs,
The GS vin/engine number is the positive ID. I would love to hear from any others.

- do they also have 750cc instead of 650cc on the bottom of the rhs cylinder?
- are there electrical and running gear differences too?
- how about a thread with pictorial essay :thumbsup::bike:

Where the cylinder is stamped 653cc, this is stamped 743cc. The displacement is always on the LH cylinder front, bottom. I have never seen it anywhere else.
The bike looks just like any other XS2. Same color, carbs, mufflers, etc. One big difference occurs when you open the throttle........very noticeable difference. Let's see if I can post a pic. I got the beginning and ending vin numbers from Yamaha-USA. The only reason they still had them on their rolls was because they were sold without warranty. Once the warranty card is sent in the bikes are dropped from inventory because the customer has possesion. I bought this bike from the original owner. I had the original title copied and notorized as a true copy. At the moment the bike has 1350 original miles. It still rides on the original rubber. I put an oring chain on it, but I still have the original. In other words, this bike is an unrestored original GS vin XS2. It even came with the owners manual and tool kit.

Attachments

• XS2 500 pix.jpg
    XS2 500 pix.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 790
  • S5030131.JPG
    S5030131.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
That's amazing, 1 of 200 factory 750s. Sounds like the original owner knew what he had and preserved it. Nice collection of bikes especially the 750.

- candy green XS1 ........ # S650-000101-S650-006686.....6586 bikes

- gold XS1B and XS1F ... # S650-007101-S650-025383.....18283 bikes

- source

yamasaurus...

This is a neat thread. I wanted to comment especially on your beautiful '73, as I have one that I'm slowly sorting out; it's a mild cafe roadster. There are more pics in my gallery. Yours is a wonderful example!

TC

TeeCat,
Thank you for your kind words. My 73 was my first restoration. We have been through alot together.

Hello
The manufacture date of you bike is end of 10/69 or beginning 11/69.
I hope this helps.
with kind regards
Micha

my brother just picked up a bike with a vin of s650-201xxx. he says its a '72 xs650, but the chart says its a tx 650. i just wanted to make sure there wasn't something i was missing. can anyone help?

The S650-200xxx serial number started the 73 model year. He may think it's a 72 because the manufactured date is 72. In August is the start of the model year. Any thing dated August 72 to July 73 are 73's.

Help!!! I'm so-ooo-oo confused.... Just got a fixer and need sum info... the vin reads 2fo-169xxx... So far I see it might be SE2mo, but why read sfo??? A sticker reads 1/79, it is badged SPECIAL.... I'm thinking 78...confused...Thanks for the help!:wtf:

Back