1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Sep 26, 2017.

1. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Well someone's missing class. ;)

Jim and GLJ like this.
  2. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Truth be told since the Bears are done I have to root for the NFC teams left.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Well boys and girls.... we could be just 2 championship games away from a Superbowl 1 rematch.

4. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter

With the help of the Vikings bowing out early
    My buddy is going back to KS today and we watched the last chiefs game together over a few beers so it's time to say
    Go Chiefs

Jim and gggGary like this.
  5. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Next Up....
    Decided to put a handlebar choke on her. I've had quiet a few bikes in the past that either came with, or I installed a handlebar choke. I've always liked 'em for some reason.
    So... started with this. Notice the choke decal beside the horn? Makes it an 81- 84?

started with this.jpg

Pretty nasty huh? Lots of corrosion, inside and out. Found it in the basement boneyard of broken bike bits. Say that ten times fast. :rolleyes: Switches are all gummed and stuck. Inside view....

dirty.jpg

Bead blast and rolok discs on the halves....

beaded.jpg

Threw all the little bits and pieces into a bag, added some elbow grease and a beer (or two).... shook vigorously and here we are.

clean parts.jpg

Paint and bake the halves. VHT calliper paint, 200° for an hr. (Sue's at work:whistle:) and lookin' good.

painted.jpg

Put it all back together with silicone and dielectric grease.

clean inside.jpg

And here we are.

back together.jpg

connector.jpg

Shoutouts. shout out.png

@grizld1 came through with the choke lever. Thanks Dick!!
    @nj1639 supplied the cable. Thanks bud!!
    @Superjet has some carb brackets headed my way. Thanks JC!!

I'm thinkin' I can do this conversion without pullin' the carbs.. which would be nice. That still leaves me to wrastle the spaghetti monster inside the headlight bucket though. :er:
    Stay tuned...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That’ll be a nice little addition! Nice work on the switch. :)

MaxPete, nj1639, Greyandridin and 4 others like this.
  7. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Nice job, good pics, and great write-up, Jim! There are so many great "how-to's" on this site, and you've given us another! Well done! :thumbsup:

MaxPete, nj1639, Jim and 5 others like this.
  8. Jim

Choke parts from JC are a little rusty.... tends to be that way with 40 yr old bits. :rolleyes:

choke parts1.jpg

Some cleanin' and a trip to the nickel tank... good as new. :D

choke parts2.jpg

9. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Nice - love that nickel tank!

DoubleE, Mailman and Jim like this.
  10. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

20200206_173418.jpg
    A few inches in one jar drop in the rusty parts, wait a couple hours, pour off rust away to the other jar, fish out the parts. repeat. Now and then add a coffee filter strainer.
    Related; what do you do with "old" rust away?

11. Greyandridin

(Sue's at work:whistle:) She a Very understanding women ya got there Jim

Mailman, Jim, MaxPete and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jim

Pour it down the sink.

Untitled11.png

13. Greyandridin

Gary who manufacturers it doesn't seem evil like the acid bath ones

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Mailman and Jim like this.
  14. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hmmmm.......
    Although the manufacturer indicates that it isn't defined by the federal government as being categorized as a hazardous waste substance, I would not be in a hurry to dump it into Mother Earth, our environment (the sink). I found these notes at the website:

Accidental Release:

Keep unnecessary people away: isolate hazard area and deny entry. Wear protective equipment as specified in Section 8. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. For small spills, absorb with vermiculite or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into containers for later disposal. For large spills, dike far ahead of liquid spill for later disposal. If water pollution occurs, notify the appropriate authorities. Do not release to sewer. Observe all Federal State and Local regulations regarding notifications of accidental releases.

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS, OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM

SKIN: May cause irritation to skin. EYE CONTACT May cause irritation to eyes. INHALATION Decomposition products could cause a serious condition

> My local waste disposal agency offers days where such chemicals are accepted for free to be disposed of properly.

15. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

So, …...

Keep necessary people close...?

16. YamadudeXS650C

YamadudeXS650C Central New York XS650 XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It's my understanding that the unnecessary people know who they are.

[​IMG]
    ....no dark sarcasm in the classroom......

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  17. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    Actually, unnecessary people don't know they are them...think the kardasians.:lmao:

gggGary, Mailman, 59Tebo and 6 others like this.
  18. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

The same, but different: when I was a "roadie" for the high school field band, we did a lot of cleaning/painting of props for the shows. We would dispose of "used" materials either dumping them in non-clumping clay cat litter, or dumping the cat litter into the containers. Either way, next day, it would be a (mostly) inert mass, suitable for the landfill. And that was the recommendation of the local resource recovery center.

MaxPete, gggGary and Jim like this.
  19. Jim

Who do I blame for this.... :umm:

I was thinkin' bout this before Bob put up his ergonomics thread... but OK... I'll blame him anyway.:rolleyes:
    Picked these up from @plowboy1 Hope he's dug his way outta the 12" of snow he had to wade through to ship 'em.

highway pegs..jpg

One of the mount plates had a pretty good bend in it....

bent.jpg

'course.... nuttin 20 tons won't fix. ;)
    Used some scrap aluminum so's to minimize the marring on the chrome .

press.jpg

Much better. :)

straight.jpg

Kinda nasty lookin'

dirty.jpg

But when it comes to cleaning old chrome, nothing beats a good ol' Brillo pad.

clean.jpg

Now I just gotta wait for all the shiny new hardware to show up... :whistle:

20. Jim