Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

After drilling mine I sanded the rotor with a DA sander with 180 grit paper to remove burrs. That worked real well by keeping the sander flat and moving.

Scott

Last edited:
Jim, looks like you caught the flaws or used a different template than I did.
Not sure if they're the same or not, Scott. Some of the holes (on the template) weren't perfectly centered... in which case I just kinda eyeballed the center punch. It ain't gotta land on the Moon... as we used to say in the airplane world... so the good ol' Mk.I eyeball was good enough.

iris.jpg

Last edited:
That is looking really nice Jim! Careful, drilling holes seems to be something of an addiction, just ask Phil! :D
By the way, I got a nice finish in my disk using an abrasive pad in my drill. Using a light touch and trying to keep a consistent cross hatch pattern.
9DCC6CDA-A9F5-4C9A-A425-B08F5AC8EECB.jpeg 3AE75CD7-B197-4B9F-936D-A8010171E0E7.jpeg F411B5B7-C4B6-4FFA-9AF9-8846179C2844.jpeg

Dual Drilled Disc's... Round 2.
Took drilled and undrilled disc's and bolted 'em together. A little tap tap here and there for alignment....

bolted together.jpg

Set the two on the drill press and dimpled the undrilled rotor at each hole...

duplicating holes.jpg

unbolted.jpg

...and commenced to drillin' another 84 holes.... Phew...
Finally... wait for it.... the last hole.

the last hole.jpg

And then.... here we are.... two identical (mirrored) drilled rotors.

Done.jpg

Last edited:
Dual Drilled Disc's... Round 2.
Took drilled and undrilled disc's and bolted 'em together. A little tap tap here and there for alignment....
View attachment 146332
Set the two on the drill press and dimpled the undrilled rotor at each hole...
View attachment 146333
View attachment 146334
...and commenced to drillin' another 84 holes.... Phew...
Finally... wait for it.... the last hole.
View attachment 146335
And then.... here we are.... two identical (mirrored) drilled rotors.
View attachment 146336

Hi Jim,
whyncha just bolt 'em back to back first and drill both at once, eh?

Fork bag finally showed up. It's actually quiet well made.... and smells awesome.
Followed Scott's lead and used zip ties. Wrapped 2 layers of black gorilla tape around the forks and used 3 good quality ties per side. I think that'll work just fine.
I now have storage space for my reg. and ins. documents... and maybe a pack of gum... :cool:

View attachment 146237

View attachment 146238

View attachment 146239

G'day Jim,

Nice looking bag, no trouble with fork travel???

GeeDub

Dual Disc Front Brakes. A Start To A Better Stop. :D
So, Randy (@Machine ) has a left front brake caliper headed my way. Better get busy....
Forum member @thelowlife wrote a thread way back in 2011 with various patterns for drilling rotors. He even included a scale for checking your printout. I scaled 'em a tad small at 99.5%. That worked out perfect. Printed 'em out and started cuttin'...

View attachment 146248

As was pointed out in the thread, to cover all the swept area, you need to delete the inner hole and add an outer. Taped 'em in place...

View attachment 146249

.... and center punched all the holes.

View attachment 146250

I decided on 1/4" holes... if for no other reason than I have plenty of 1/4" drill bits. Yeah... I know, cheap sob ain't I? :rolleyes:
Set the first rotor on the drill press and went to town....

View attachment 146264

84 holes later....

View attachment 146265

Not sure how long it took. Several hrs maybe. Start to finish with the same drill bit.
Drill bit says it can do both rotors... but we all know how drill bits lie. :er: We'll see. One down, one to go.

G'day Jim,

Is it possible for you to send your patterns to a poor old bloke from the Antipodes??

GeeDubya

Hi Jim,
whyncha just bolt 'em back to back first and drill both at once, eh?
I wanted to put a drilled one up against the bike and see if I liked it. Didn't see any point in deciding I didn't like two of 'em.

Attachments

• xs650-rotor.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 115
Back