Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

Hey Jim. The rotors look great but don`t just stop there. That bit looks sharp enough to do the wheels too. Maybe even the side case/alternator cover, chain guard, caliper brackets, and don`t forget the dipstick!:laugh2:
Somewhere on this site are different patterns and ones for the rear disc too.

Mmmm.....double disc! :popcorn: You know I hate it when Jim has something better than me! :D

Better depends upon the application. How you're operating the machine. For me, the extra unsprung weight is not worth any improvement in braking. YMMV. The stock dual disc brake assembly weighs in at a hefty 20 lbs.

I forgot to ask but is the bed on your lathe deep enough to spin the rotors??

As you're probably aware, leave the holes sharp edged, that will clean the pads better. After drilling, I just go around with a 5/16" or 3/8" drill bit in a large tap holder and lightly "dress" the edge of each hole by hand to remove any burrs. A couple twists per hole does the trick .....

full

As you're probably aware, leave the holes sharp edged, that will clean the pads better. After drilling, I just go around with a 5/16" or 3/8" drill bit in a large tap holder and lightly "dress" the edge of each hole by hand to remove any burrs. A couple twists per hole does the trick .....
I have a good selection of deburring bits....

IMG_20190729_120508.jpg

Oh! You need a 1" chuck offset. Go get one from the toolroom manager.

Hi Gary,
yeah, right! Like a fellow apprentice who was sent to the tool crib to get a glass hammer.
As yesterday's errand was to go for the long stand he told his journeyman to eff off.
Turned out that a glass hammer is an acrylic-faced mallet. Who knew?

Looks great Jim.:thumbsup: Do you need another chrome round top bolt for the bottom of the bracket?
I need 2 Phil. The right side had the domes. So for symmetry, I took the bottom dome off the right and put it on the top of the left. Now I have domes on the top and plains on the bottom. I'd rather have domes all around.

The right side had the domes. So for symmetry, I took the bottom dome off the right and put it on the top of the left. Now I have domes on the top and plains on the bottom. I'd rather have domes all around.
Aren’t those stock rear shock bottom mount bolts ?
Those have been difficult to find around here .. WA

Back