My engine rebuild from scratch!!

Hopefully its raining in Texas and he hasn't got his fire alight yet :D:D (has it ever rained in TX ?)

The exposed end which has the cutout for the locating plate we can see that it has the rubber bung fitted so thats ok.

The other end of the tube doesn't have a bung as far as I know . It sits inside a hole in the crankcase which goes right through the crankcase.

If the crankcase hole is blanked off with weld or has an aluminium plug closing it off then no oil will leak from the gear selector fork shaft at either end job done.:thumbsup:

Your'e gonna have to remove the RH side cover whatever happens in order to see what you have.
The problem you have is two fold.
1. you need to get the fork selector shaft to protrude further to expose the cutout on the shaft for the locating plate to sit in.
2. you need to check the crankcase hole on the other side to see if it is plugged and plug it if its open.

If the crankcase hole is open,......... thats great ! because then you can put a thin rod in the hole on the RH side and drift (bang) the selector fork shaft assembly back through the LH side a 1/4" or so ,so that it protrudes far enough that you can see the cutout.

If its welded or plugged then you try to get a grip on the end of the selector fork shaft and pull it out a bit or you could drill a hole big through the weld or plug enough for a drift to fit and plug it afterwards.

If it has an aluminium plug then again you could try pry it out then drift the selector fork bar then replug the crankcase hole.

I do know there was NO ally plug anywhere to be seen, and the left hand side is definately plugged up. I have read somewhere that the later engines didn't have the ally plug so I'm hoping this is the case with mine. I have an 81...

Going to try and get the shaft out with some neodium magnets I have, hopefully it's not too tight in there so I can get it out!

this is quite a confusing issue .

Someone on xs650.com has got it into their head that there should be a bung on both ends of the fork selector shaft ... There shouldn't be .
The end of the shaft that has the cutout should be plugged with a rubber bung which can be seen underneath the select drum star .

The other end of the shaft is not plugged ...BUT...the hole in the crankcase in which the other end of the fork selector shaft sits SHOULD be plugged .As long as the crankcase is either plugged or welded shut no oil can escape from the end of the fork selector shaft.

phew its not easy to describe in words is it :(

If you can find a picture of the RH side of your crankcase and see the hole next to the selector drum bearing is plugged or welded then all you need to do is somehow pry that shaft out a bit. It only needs to come out a fraction and you'll be able to use the exposed cutout to lever the rest out so that the plate sits in the cutout.

If you put the magnet on and then maintain some pull on it then change gear a few times hopefully the shaft should come out a bit

Good luck tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a bit done on mine tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any more trouble with those thievin scumbags and I'll send you my HD cctv camera and hard drive storage unit .:thumbsup:

Thanks Peanut, it now makes sense!

If I get time tomorrow( I think tomorrow is honey-do day, I also have to install the other light, weather permitting of course!)(and if it's sunny, there is a red rocket that wants to be taken on the road!!!), I will start tearing into this.

I'll keep you guys posted.............

So far those feckers haven't come back, police say it's unlikely they will return. time will tell......

I do know there was NO ally plug anywhere to be seen, and the left hand side is definately plugged up. I have read somewhere that the later engines didn't have the ally plug so I'm hoping this is the case with mine. I have an 81...

Going to try and get the shaft out with some neodium magnets I have, hopefully it's not too tight in there so I can get it out!

if it is it to tight for the magnet to pull try a drop of medium CA glue and glue a small bolt or rod to the end and pull it out. Then the CA can be removed with drop or 2 CA debonder AKA fingernail polish remover
you can get it at hobby shop. medium CA is thicker than thin "don't try thin CA is will glue every thing together" Thin is made to penetrate. thin CA is super glue well its all basic super glue just different thickness
Thin is instant, medium takes a bit longer to set, think CA takes the longest time to set but is the strongest.

if it is it to tight for the magnet to pull try a drop of medium CA glue and glue a small bolt or rod to the end and pull it out. Then the CA can be removed with drop or 2 CA debonder AKA fingernail polish remover
you can get it at hobby shop. medium CA is thicker than thin "don't try thin CA is will glue every thing together" Thin is made to penetrate. thin CA is super glue well its all basic super glue just different thickness
Thin is instant, medium takes a bit longer to set, think CA takes the longest time to set but is the strongest.

Thanks Carbon! As you fly R/C Planes, so do I fly R/c Heli's! And wing as well mind! So me and superglue go waaaay back, I have three types, thick medium, and fuck-me-it's-EVERYWHERE!!-thin!:yikes: That stuff is more runny than water!!:eek: I even have glue activator!!:yikes:

I will give that a go if the magnets don't do the trick. Thanks, it never crossed my mind!:thumbsup:

Now go dance for me brother!!:D:laugh:

T

So far those feckers haven't come back, police say it's unlikely they will return. time will tell......

I don't mean to worry you but what the plod said is not necessarily true from the little experience I have .

They invariably come back . They come back because they know exactly what you've got , where it is,its value to them , your movements throughout the day and above all they now know the layout of your place . Where to get in ,where to exit, which areas are weak and where they are unobserved.

Its easier to rob a place you've checked out, or previously burgled than to risk going somewhere they don't know that may have nothing of value to them.

You need to raise the stakes in your favour so that it is immediately apparent its not worth their while , ...make it visibly more difficult for them to get in and to exit .
An 8 foot fence and gate might seem expensive at £100 but think what the cost of a burglary would be both financially and psychogically.

TI have three types, thick medium, and fuck-me-it's-EVERYWHERE!!-thin!:yikes: D:laugh:

:D:D:D stuck my fingers and thumbs together once . The more I tried to release them the more fingers got glued ...boy did I panic:yikes:

:D:D:D stuck my fingers and thumbs together once . The more I tried to release them the more fingers got glued ...boy did I panic:yikes:

NEVER panic! The easiest way to remove superglue from your fingers is nice and warm soapy water, soak your finger, hand, body part in it whilst gently rubbing or pulling. Alternatively, just leave it, go to bed, and the next morning the glue will be in your bed somewhere! Your skin produces natural oils that go inbetween the glue and your skin, and it will eventually come off. Don't try to cut it with a scalpel, don't ask me how I know!!!(it feckin hurts!!:yikes:)

I don't mean to worry you but what the plod said is not necessarily true from the little experience I have .

They invariably come back . They come back because they know exactly what you've got , where it is,its value to them , your movements throughout the day and above all they now know the layout of your place . Where to get in ,where to exit, which areas are weak and where they are unobserved.

Its easier to rob a place you've checked out, or previously burgled than to risk going somewhere they don't know that may have nothing of value to them.

You need to raise the stakes in your favour so that it is immediately apparent its not worth their while , ...make it visibly more difficult for them to get in and to exit .
An 8 foot fence and gate might seem expensive at £100 but think what the cost of a burglary would be both financially and psychogically.

This is the second time in a year. We do not own the house so I do not want to fork out on money for expensive fences. It also makes it easier for them as we are end of terrace, hence the security light. That will shine down the dark alley between us and the neighbour, light is some form of deterrant.

Well, Carbon's dance chased out the flooding rains from Austin (up to 16").

Airwolfie, with the right cover off, you could try a blast of compressed air into the main oil gallery, near the tach drive output. Just don't let the shaft pop out more than 1/2", or :yikes::doh::banghead:

This is the second time in a year. We do not own the house so I do not want to fork out on money for expensive fences. It also makes it easier for them as we are end of terrace, hence the security light. That will shine down the dark alley between us and the neighbour, light is some form of deterrant.

I hear what you are saying. We lived in rented for the past 15 years until we bought our current home (next door ):laugh:

We never knew from one minute to the next if the LAndlord would chuck us out which is a very stressful way to live.
nevertheless I decided that as we were living there we might as well live well and have the benefit of whatever I put in so I spent a bit of money over the years and we had the benefit for 15 years until it all wore out .

Re fence and gate expense I would say you could see if your neighbour would go halves with you and if not you could always dismantle it and take it with you !:wink2:
it sure would give you some peace of mind . It would be a real bummer to find your bike vandalised or missing ...what price a bit of fence and gate then ?

Anyway nuff said I will say no more .:)

Airwolfie, with the right cover off, you could try a blast of compressed air into the main oil gallery, near the tach drive output. Just don't let the shaft pop out more than 1/2", or :yikes::doh::banghead:

now that is lateral thinking for ya :thumbsup: although the selector forks would prevent the shaft coming out more than 1/2" I should have thought:wink2:

You're obviously thinking of that movie :wink2:

That's a good idea, pity I don't have a compressor!!!:doh:

I hear what you are saying. We lived in rented for the past 15 years until we bought our current home (next door ):laugh:

We never knew from one minute to the next if the LAndlord would chuck us out which is a very stressful way to live.
nevertheless I decided that as we were living there we might as well live well and have the benefit of whatever I put in so I spent a bit of money over the years and we had the benefit for 15 years until it all wore out .

Re fence and gate expense I would say you could see if your neighbour would go halves with you and if not you could always dismantle it and take it with you !:wink2:
it sure would give you some peace of mind . It would be a real bummer to find your bike vandalised or missing ...what price a bit of fence and gate then ?

Anyway nuff said I will say no more .:)

Were are contemplating adding a foot or two of trellis on top of the fence, just as a deterrant. Got no spare cash at the moment though........

Thanks for your concerns though!!:thumbsup:

. Got no spare cash at the moment though........

:

mmm now why could that be ?? .......................... lemmsee ...:laugh:

Good luck this weekend. I should get of me ass and get out there and finish mine off but its cold and windy out there and its nice and warm in here sitting at the pc with a nice cuppa....:D besides swmbo is staying at her Mothers for the week so me and the cats are going to be idle bums for the weekend :laugh::thumbsup:

mmm now why could that be ?? .......................... lemmsee ...:laugh:

Good luck this weekend. I should get of me ass and get out there and finish mine off but its cold and windy out there and its nice and warm in here sitting at the pc with a nice cuppa....:D besides swmbo is staying at her Mothers for the week so me and the cats are going to be idle bums for the weekend :laugh::thumbsup:

HAHAHA!! That is ME!! Where did you install the camera??!?!??!?

I'm sitting here all cozy, with the now warm laptop on my lap, whenI have another Light to fit!! Sun is out, so I got no excuse!!!

I'll go in a bit.........LOL

I'm really lucky I live in a private lane with only one access point so I just stick a PIR light and camera over the front door and I can monitor and record everything coming down the lane day and night.

Saying that someone managed to come down the lane round to the garages and try pry the window of my car open to get a bit of wire onto my door lock last month.
They made a hell of a mess of my door surround with their screwdriver.

They all wear hoodies these days so even the best of PIR lights and cctv cameras are not going to give you anything to identify them. They know that too.

Best bet is to physically make it hard work for them .

If you have a shared side access its difficult otherwise I'd say just string some barbed wire across it for the winter unless you use it for rear access a lot. if you were nearer to me I'd come round and kick you up the ass and help you errect a simple gate across the opening. You can always find stuff on local builders skips to use for free.

I just bought 2x solid pine paneled doors 50mm thick for a tenner each off of ebay ! for my shed .:wink2:

I'm really lucky I live in a private lane with only one access point so I just stick a PIR light and camera over the front door and I can monitor and record everything coming down the lane day and night.

Saying that someone managed to come down the lane round to the garages and try pry the window of my car open to get a bit of wire onto my door lock last month.
They made a hell of a mess of my door surround with their screwdriver.

They all wear hoodies these days so even the best of PIR lights and cctv cameras are not going to give you anything to identify them. They know that too.

Best bet is to physically make it hard work for them .

If you have a shared side access its difficult otherwise I'd say just string some barbed wire across it for the winter unless you use it for rear access a lot. if you were nearer to me I'd come round and kick you up the ass and help you errect a simple gate across the opening. You can always find stuff on local builders skips to use for free.

I just bought 2x solid pine paneled doors 50mm thick for a tenner each off of ebay ! for my shed .:wink2:

That is actually a good idea with the gate Peanut! I will have a look into that!

We do have a local skip not too far away, I will pop in there tomorrow!

drove into Town this morning to pick up a special socket so I can extend my ADSL lead and reposition my router for a stronger wireless signal.

A few minute ago I thought I know what I'll do ...I'll plug it in and move the router easy peasy :thumbsup:

The extension ADSL cable is already in place . It goes out through the hall window frame and back in the Lounge window frame and is siliconed in.

I plug the new socket in and bugga the ADSL cable is about 3/4" too short to plug in.
No matter what I do i can't tease the extra 3.4" out the window frame so in frustration I give it a strong tug and now I've got 2" of cable and an RJ11 plug in my hand :yikes: :doh:

Time for a cup of tea and a rethink.:(

I think I'll stick an old war movie in the DVD and get comfy with a cuppa .:thumbsup::D

Lol!! So it's not just me then!!!

I managed to do the second light in under an hour, and that included routing the 15M cable!!!!! Well chuffed! Now I just need to figure out the stupid settings as I lost the indestructions!!!!! Bugger!!

Back