My new build, "The 23"

Thanks Hugh. I hear you. I had some come apart in a VW engine awhile back. Not pretty.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to run the adjusters at a loose zero clearance since the feet have a little clearance/slack built in them. Maybe zero on the intake and about .002" on exhaust. What you think? At any rate, I will proceed easy like.:laugh:

Edit: Just read my last statement on valve adjustment. Disregard, I'm not thinking clearly.

I think you are playing with fire... Go with a solid tappet adjuster and forget it.. :laugh:

Just have to say, it's awesome and refreshing to see an engine painted where you can see the bolt heads and gasket lines - clearly painted the 'right' way, i.e. while disassembled vs. spray-bombed all together.

Wasn't expecting anything less from this build of course, but just had to comment.

Just have to say, it's awesome and refreshing to see an engine painted where you can see the bolt heads and gasket lines - clearly painted the 'right' way, i.e. while disassembled vs. spray-bombed all together.

Wasn't expecting anything less from this build of course, but just had to comment.

You and I share that thought. I hate the ol' "Rattle Can Rebuild" as well :thumbsup:

I actually cheated a little bit. I painted the two crank case halves after I assembled the crank and transmission.:laugh: Easier to tape up that way. But I agree with you whole heartedly. Especially the folks that powder coat the whole rim, hub, and spokes as one unit. :doh:

I actually cheated a little bit. I painted the two crank case halves after I assembled the crank and transmission.:laugh: Easier to tape up that way. But I agree with you whole heartedly. Especially the folks that powder coat the whole rim, hub, and spokes as one unit. :doh:

And how many of those so called "powder coats" are actually hi-temp rattle can.

Getting closer. Engine, exhaust, and foot pegs all mounted.

IMG_0338_zps168927a0.jpg

IMG_0337_zps6d0430fa.jpg

This is cool.

IMG_0339_zpsedd88369.jpg

Not much to report on, but I do have some small updates. Saved up enough extra dough to buy my rephrased Pamco ignition and installed it. No picture of that.

Made a cam cable plug to plug the hole in the case. I will paint it to, so it blends in.

IMG_0343_zpse290d4d4.jpg

Here is a little preview of what I'm working on while I build the funds for a PMA.

IMG_0344_zpsebede420.jpg

IMG_0345_zps78f93952.jpg

So after Father's Day breakfast with the daughter and grandson's my wife left with them for church and left me to my own devices. Best Father's Day gift ever. Took a quick nap to recharge and stepped out to the garage. I needed to tear down the carburetors for cleaning and to asses what was needed in the way of parts. It got shitty when I broke one of the float posts trying to get the float pin out. Thought I had a few extra B34 carb bodies, but I was wrong. Shittier. So I went inside and was looking for B34 parts on e-bay. Everything seemed like junk or way over priced. Then I happened to see joe-wise guy's single carb mounts and inspiration struck. I'm not one to spend money when I don't have to, not cheap mind you. Just frugal and if I can make it, so much the better.:thumbsup:

Years ago I bought 38mm Mikuni for a Suzuki 400M/C and never used it. My dad kept it all the years I was away in the military and after he passed I brought it home for my parts box for use someday. Again, frugal, I need to save my money for a PMA.:D

Then I found a piece of exhaust pipe that had all the right elements for an intake. Here is the after effect of three hours of cutting and welding.

IMG_0345_zps78f93952.jpg

IMG_0344_zpsebede420.jpg

IMG_0346_zps935f10a5.jpg

IMG_0347_zpsfee6687d.jpg

All that's needed now is another piece of hose and two clamps. I'll make a throttle cable. Then I need to round up the proper jets, needle jet and needle combo, and I'll be set. Right now it is set up for 2-stroke and has a 3.10 main jet. I think that would be a bit much.:laugh:

Thanks everybody. Got this rig 90% wired up. Just ordered my PMA and a few other things. Sparx capacitor, key switch, and some cloth plug wires form Lowbrow. Pictures in a bit.

Nice link, I'll keep that one in my favorites for the next time.

Here is a few shots of my wiring job. Kept almost all the stuff in the headlight bucket. Just need to do a horn button on the bars. Will clean up the bottom harness when the PMA gets here. Almost ready to fire up. Going to drop a battery in where the capacitor goes to check out all my circuitry before kicking it over.

IMG_0352_zpsb08d0158.jpg

IMG_0351_zps70cc1ec1.jpg

Installed my PMA today. Went smooth as silk.

Locator pin for old alternator removed and keyway installed.

IMG_0354_zpsdabf401e.jpg

Stator winding bolted on.

IMG_0355_zps65a6cc30.jpg

Flywheel on with TDC and F marked.

IMG_0357_zps985d5e09.jpg

Put an extra piece of rubber in the passage for the stator wires. The plug was undersized and I didn't want water or crap to get in the stator area.

IMG_0356_zps5cc05b07.jpg

Also finished wiring up the bike. Just need to get my ignition switch, plug wires, and Sparx capacitor and this thing is ready to fire.:bike:

Well today was a success. Got my ignition switch, plug wires, and Sparx capacitor today. Last three things needed to get the motor running. Had to do a little surgery on the ignition switch to clear the headlight, but everything went on quickly. Turned on the key and gas, kicked a few times and nothing. Looked at my gas filter and no gas in the line. Played around some and got gas to flow. Kicked again, nothing. Pulled the plug, dry as can be. So then I pulled the plug on the bottom of the carb, no gas in fuel bowl. Huh!:banghead: Long story shorter, after two removals of the fuel bowl and finding nothing wrong, or so I thought. Still wasn't getting fuel in the bowl. Then it hit me, the fuel floats were in upside down.:doh: They are individual floats and the pins are off center. Sure enough, I had them in wrong. Flipped tem over and reinstalled the carb. Second kick. Honest to pete.:D My immediate elation was short lived as I saw oil leaking from the filter cover.:yikes: Quick inspection revealed some old gasket material not cleaned off the cover.

IMG_0359_zps47a1c4a0.jpg

This is a youtube link of the engine chuckling away with base settings on carb and timing. Started getting a little spitty at the end. Tomorrow I will set the timing. Then see what the carb needs in the way of adjustment. But I'm liking this one carb setup.

First ride up and down my street went well. Gearing is really tall with the 23" rear. Engine pulls real strong too. Loving it!:thumbsup: I'll try to get a riding video up sometime this weekend. I need work on the jetting some, it's a little fat on the bottom end.

Back