My new build, "The 23"

Thanks everyone. Appriciate all the good comments. Can't wait to get started on the engine. I may choose not to eat next month so I can have the money for engine work.:laugh:

Been playing with the engine last week. Got it tore down and stripped all the covers to get them ready for a good wash, sandblasting, and Powdwercoating. I have wanted to do a repahse with this engine all along, but I am being held back by budget concerns.

Last night I started studying the crank and figured I could do it. My neighbor has a press. So, Easter morning after the grandkids were done hunting eggs, and before the sugar kicked in, I escaped down to the neighbors and started pressing the crank apart.

IMG_0303_zpsfe0d9679.jpg

The outside left crank face has to come off to get to the center pin.

IMG_0304_zps7b4d0e29.jpg

Pushing out the center pin. One thing I learned in this process that I didn't read anywhere to my memory, was the sprocket has to be remove too. Then keyed with the grove in the left crank inner face before pressing back in the three grooves forward on the right crank. The pin is integral to the right crank inner crank face.

IMG_0305_zpsccf63639.jpg

I am not planning to weld up the crank as it is a 256 crank and they are getting harder to come by. If it needs a rebuild down the road I can get it back apart. I also don't ride hard and don't think it will be an issue.

MNXS650; Lets see a picture of that Avon mounted.

I-am-carbon; Ramin diet is going well.:laugh: I reality, my real diet has me down 30lbs in the last 2 1/2 months. From 296 to 266.6 this morning

I haven't posted in awhile. Not much to show really. Just been gathering engine parts, cleaning and such. Then my VW bus engine took a shit on #4 cylinder by way of a recessed valve seat, so that has been in the mix too. Waiting on new heads to show up. Meanwhile, I did manage to shoot some VHT paint on my rocker box, head, and cylinders this weekend. Slowly but surely I'm getting it.

IMG_0313_zps7873bd6e.jpg

IMG_0313_zps7873bd6e.jpg

MNXS650; Avon looks nice. Looks pretty fat across the front view. Might be to wide for my rear fender. Hieght wise, it looks OK. You said 30" right? My dual sports are almost 31". Do me a favor and throw a calipar across the profile for a width measurement. Nice to know there is an option to the DS tread out there. I could always make a new rear fender if the Avon is to wide. I have some time to think about it since I'll wear these DS's out first.:bike:

Your roller looks nice. Between you an Hugh, you're starting a 23/16 trend in the bobber world.:laugh:

3.688" across 29.25" tall. Yea run what you have till their gone cause the avon is like $235 and that's what keeps most people away. I figured if I'm building from the ground up might as well do it big the first time.

Today I wanted to get the bottom end of the engine back together. While getting started, I realized I never bought the freeze plug for the starter block off plug. A quick search here and off I went to O'Reily's for a 1 53/64" freeze plug. They had every size but the one I needed and the nearest store with on in stock was Phoenix. So I checked Auto Zone (usually a waste of time and it was), Pep Boy's with no luck. So I went home and made one out of aluminum bar stock I had. Hole measures 46.5mm, so I made the plug 47mm, coated it with Loc Tite aluminum flange sealer and pressed it in. Perfect!

IMG_0321_zpsf998fae2.jpg

IMG_0322_zps8820cf1a.jpg

IMG_0323_zps3dda0517.jpg

IMG_0324_zpsffd52f66.jpg

The bottom end with rephrased crank ready for bottom case. Didn't get a picture of it with the case bottom on.

IMG_0320_zps613fad30.jpg

To bad You had to go through all that.
It sure is cool that You can make one and install it though!
Most of us would have to wait and pick one up later.
So :thumbsup::thumbsup: Man!

Hey Carbon. Yes it does feel good when I can make a part over buying. Although repurposing a freeze plug appeals to my "find another use for existing parts nature".:laugh:

Modified the rocker arms for VW valve train elephant feet adjusters. Sure look spindly after they are done. This is about an 1/8" taken away.

IMG_0331_zps53402fce.jpg

IMG_0332_zpse2b51510.jpg

Above was yesterday. Today I finished up the top end. Need to get a rephrased Pamco Ignition, a PMA kit, and finish up the clutch pull and it will be done. But for now I can put the engine in the frame. Maybe this weekend.:bike:

IMG_0333_zpseabc6f86.jpg

IMG_0334_zpsa6119308.jpg

IMG_0335_zpsb51aca74.jpg

Thanks Hugh. I hear you. I had some come apart in a VW engine awhile back. Not pretty.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to run the adjusters at a loose zero clearance since the feet have a little clearance/slack built in them. Maybe zero on the intake and about .002" on exhaust. What you think? At any rate, I will proceed easy like.:laugh:

Edit: Just read my last statement on valve adjustment. Disregard, I'm not thinking clearly.

Last edited:
Back