My new build, "The 23"

Went out an purchased a trailer spring pack for my front fork. Got home and cut it up. Going to use three springs to start with for suspension stiffness. But before I could get started on the clamp plate, I got sidetracked with extra pieces of spring.:laugh: This is the result.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

Had a busy day. Finished up the front fork links for the leaf springs. Preload is perfect with three leafs. Also mounted some bar clamps and banged out a seat base.

IMG_0196_zpsf946e21b.jpg

IMG_0199_zpsf729f6d1.jpg

IMG_0197_zpscf863cef.jpg

IMG_0198_zps2918bc8a.jpg

IMG_0200_zps6c7f4cf9.jpg

the front of the wheel pulls down, i think the spring is the right way round, don't see much suspension travel in the set up though. definitely different and unusual, looks more for form than function.

Are you welding the box section under the seat to the spring

Those are the Bridgestone tw9 tires right? Someone told me they don't make the Cheng Shin C186 anymore. Looks like it's either the TW9's or a couple of options from coker tire for $200 each.

Yes, they are the bridgestones. I was thinking Chin-Shins, but was wrong.:shrug:

The springs are right. With the axle trailing the pivot point, the links pull on the spring. I've seen leafers with a leading axle, in that case the links would push and the spring need to be reversed.

Seat feels great, not bad for a couples hours of hammering.:thumbsup: I did weld a box for the seat spring. I will post a picture tomarrow.

Put on foot pegs today. Just used the stock pegs from the XS and used 1/2"X13 thread bolts for the mount studs. Mount up like stock, but lower.

IMG_0202_zps40abb770.jpg

IMG_0201_zpsce392ece.jpg

Worked on the exhaust this weekend. Came up with something crazy that you won't see everyday. Best part about it, only money spent on this was welding supplies and my time. All the rest was scrap exhaust tubing I had laying around along with the stock pipes.

Also put in the rear brake lever were it needs to go so I could route the exhaust around it.

IMG_0206_zps822c4707.jpg

IMG_0208_zps0c6e7e0e.jpg

IMG_0207_zps2d2b1b09.jpg

IMG_0209_zps6c7e5630.jpg

IMG_0210_zpsd3016c0a.jpg

IMG_0211_zpsfc8b3761.jpg

IMG_0212_zps99cd89e2.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm digging the overall look emerging slowly as this build progresses. I had my doubts in my ability to pull it off.

Smoker; I like your handle and the plate in your avitar pic. I wonder how many people now-a-days know what Brrapp means.:laugh:

Last edited:
Smoker; I like your handle and the plate in your avitar pic. I wonder how many people now-a-days know what Brrapp means.:laugh:

Haha thanks. Smoker is actually my last name... very common back home (Amish country), but most people on the interwebz get a kick out of it. And sadly, that ktm is gone, but the tag is hanging in my shop waiting for the next thumper to come along. :thumbsup:

Back