My New Scooter

Moto Militant

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello XS650 enthusiast,

I'm new to the forum and to the Yamaha XS650. My Father recently passed away and after going through all the family pictures over the years of the motorcycles we've owned growing up I got the bug. My Father always had unique bikes and current production bikes just don't get me very worked up. I mean who want to go on a ride only to find ten other bikes just like yours right? I was window shopping on eBay and this little XS650 popped up. I thought man that is a slick little scooter. Then I noticed it was in Oklahoma City which is where I live! Pulled the trigger on it, went to pick it up and put a compression gauge on it and found the compression at 85 and 90. The gentleman knocked 1000.00 of the price and I was already in love with the bike so I brought her home. I wish I had the skills and patients to build a bike but I find it intimidating. So, I believe I will find some satisfaction if I can at least say I did some of the engine work on my new bike. Any advise or suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Check it out and tell me what you guys think. Hell some of you have probably seen this bike. It is a Limey Bikes build out of Austin.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 284
Welcome to the forum! And I always love seeing someone from Oklahoma City! I'm in Norman, go to law school at the university. I've done two motors now, happy to help. Plus I'll have somebody on a COOL bike to ride with. Two many Harleys in okc...

Welcome to the forum. That is a great looking machine. I like the shrouds on the forks, the ghost lettering on the tank, the way the seat flows into the frame and the clean lines.

If it has been sitting for a while, you might find that if you run a couple tanks of gas through it, the rings may free up and the compression improve. I cannot see a builder putting that much work into creating the bike and using a dud motor.

Hi Moto and welcome,
me too; nice bike.
Like lakeview sez, if the bike was parked for a while the compression numbers may improve after the bike has a few hundred miles on it.
Note that the XS650 front fender is also a fork brace.
XS650 wibbly-wobbly forks need a fork brace.
Your bike's shrouded forks won't allow my favorite TKAT brace but the steel tube style brace will still fit.

Hi Moto and welcome,
me too; nice bike.
Like lakeview sez, if the bike was parked for a while the compression numbers may improve after the bike has a few hundred miles on it.
Note that the XS650 front fender is also a fork brace.
XS650 wibbly-wobbly forks need a fork brace.
Your bike's shrouded forks won't allow my favorite TKAT brace but the steel tube style brace will still fit.

I will check the compression again. I've put 300 miles on the bike sense the compression check was performed. I'll keep you guys posted. The left hand air cleaner has some fuel saturation from the Mikuni 34 carb. I was told this may be another indication the compression is low. Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Welcome to the forum, Moto Militant. Nice bike there.

If you've never done one, search thru this forum for "leak down test".
Listening carefully for the leakage areas can give a heads up on where problems are...

A fuel leak is more indicative of a carb problem.

Check this site about doing compression test, quick summary is to be sure slides and butterflies are open, or take off the carbs to get an accurate reading.

Glad to hear you are getting some rides in, it would be interesting to know what percentage of the members here actually have a road (rode?) worthy XS. I do not not count myself in that group, my road bike is a V-Strom.

Welcome to the forum. That is a great looking machine. I like the shrouds on the forks, the ghost lettering on the tank, the way the seat flows into the frame and the clean lines.

If it has been sitting for a while, you might find that if you run a couple tanks of gas through it, the rings may free up and the compression improve. I cannot see a builder putting that much work into creating the bike and using a dud motor.

The builder even stated on his invoice the compression was 150/155. I will recheck tonight..

Make sure you hold the throttle wide open when you do the compression check. If closed when that last test was done, that would explain the low readings.

There you go, happy endings eh?
See, you can believe things on the old interweb!

Back