My on the cheap bobber build thread.

Took the bike out for a couple good rides yesterday, she ran great.:bike: Rode over a railroad crossing and got a little air,that was an interesting feeling!:er: I checked the cam chain tension and it was still spot on. Readjusted the drive chain and set the rear wheel alignment.
I did notice more tappet noise than normal so I'll be checking those clearances this morning.:thumbsup:
Then I'll try and get some more riding in today if the wife doesn't have something else in mind.:wink2:

It turns out that the left side exhaust was out of spec and as I remember it was the sob that gave me fits last time I set them.
Still get a hanging idle from time to time.
I'm ordering a LePera L100PLT for her, got to be an improvement over this damn seat!

Hey John Having a good seat is a plus.
Also time in the saddle will help too.
After a time You will be able to ride on a board.
It's cool she is running good.

Alright, I guess I'll be keepin' my bike for awhile now since the new parts I ordered are on their way.:D
I bought the seat I was talking about and made an order to mikesxs for the carb butterfly seals along with a DID cam chain.
I also ordered an engine stand and rotor puller from TC Bros and a Yamaha cam guide from Partzilla to boot. Still got that new guide I bought from mikesxs, if anybody wants it.
Still need to get some bigger pilots and mains,I'm wanting to try one size bigger on the mains for piece of mind.
So when it get's too cold to ride, the engine is gettin' pulled to refresh. With my luck I'll find more to spend money on when I get in there!:yikes:

Last edited:
I tried to get in contact with them a couple of times on other parts and I had no response what so ever.I'll give her a try again and see though.

Well got the seat and all the rest of the stuff I ordered.
I'll be installing the seat tomorrow or Saturday. Weather is gonna be decent for the weekend then looks to be gettin' colder.
So not too much longer and I'll be pulling the engine for some new seals,gaskets along with a new front guide and cam chain.
I wanted to ask if I should be planning on new rings and bore or stick with what I have right now?
I'll get a compression check here in a couple days to check and see where it's at.

So what's that seat look like?
Well you wont know what needs to happen with jugs and pistons.
I would have them measured.
If You have the tools to do that, That's a plus.
after You get the measurements then You will know what needs to be done
directions for measurements are in manual

I'll post some pics up later today of the seat.
Might have to accidentally order a 750 set..... accidentally.:D ,But Carbon got one!:laugh:

Hey John, yeah I've been riding mine quite a bit...been enjoying it too much to break it down for paint...over 500miles and counting.

Speaking of paint I was looking at some paints online. Just a black single stage like you used for the frame and small bits, but I was wondering what you used for your color.

I was looking at single stage metallics for the color but I've heard how hard it is to get a smooth metallic coat with single stage.
My original plan was to use duplicolor metal specks burnt copper because I've used that on a guitar build and loved it and then put a 2k clear over once it gasses out for a few days. My guitars get nitro lacquer clear but I've been told the 2k urethane clear can be sprayed over acrylic or nitro lacquer as long as it can gas off some first. Do you have any thoughts on that as a painter?

:laugh: That's right You should have one too!

Yeah! :laughing:

Hey dilbone, good to hear you've got some miles on your bike man.
On your paint question, I used ppg dbc 2000 base with some Keystone multipanel clear, you should be able to find a local auto parts store that would be able to mix you up some base and use that 2k clear on top of it for a nice and durable finish. Single stage is a little tricky because it's less forgiving if you run into problems,you can spray out single stage metallic's,but it takes some practice to get the flake even. That was all that we used back in the day.You can use 2k over lacquer with no problems.The dry time isn't days it's a matter 15 to 20 minutes or until your paint is dry to the touch.With lacquer as you know numerous coats are needed to get coverage and have enough to buff up,when your clearing it all you have to worry about is coverage and the clear is there for the shine. Hell that's what we used to do back some years ago on cars.

...Single stage is a little tricky because it's less forgiving if you run into problems,you can spray out single stage metallic's,but it takes some practice to get the flake even. That was all that we used back in the day.

You rang?

We used to notice different results depending on how you hung it. Tank, nose up, nose down, horizontal, had to hang other parts the same way to ensure flake/tint match...

You rang?

We used to notice different results depending on how you hung it. Tank, nose up, nose down, horizontal, had to hang other parts the same way to ensure flake/tint match...

Yeah we noticed the same back in the day too, but when your a production shop time is everything. It was something that we noticed, but the customers never did, otherwise we would have done something different.

Back