My rebuild journey. (old title: Future owner - Help me identify this 650.)

While your lubing the worm, you might want to lube the cable.
Take your cable off, hang it up by one end. Build a funnel around upper end. I use aluminum foil. Fill with motor oil. Let set. Keep funnel full till oil drips drips out the bottom. You now have a well lube cable.
I have an extra cable so I can swap on a freshly lubed one when pull the one off. With 3 bikes using the same cable it's good to have the spare all ready to go.
Leo

You said you resolved your clutch issue by lubing the worm. You said it looked relatively clean. Going by the pic you posted back in post #172, it's clean alright, too clean, lol. It should be packed with grease. Also of note - it appears the lock nut on the adjuster screw is installed backwards. There's a shoulder on the nut below the hex part and that should face in towards the worm .....

qyAhxXB.jpg

Now let's talk about properly greasing the worm. You'll need to take it apart, remove the inner male metal worm from the outer nylon part. Clean any dirt and remnants of old grease off the parts. The high ribs on one part correspond to the grooves in the other so fill those grooves with grease in both parts .....

9gN9Bqk.jpg

Then screw the two parts back together, work them in and out, and wipe off any excess grease that is forced out. Now you've got a nice 100% greased worm.

You'll notice the metal male worm has 4 ribs or "swirls" on it. That means you can start screwing it into the female part in one of 4 positions. Only one is correct and will put the worm arm where it needs to be once fully screwed in so the cable can connect to it (arm pointing to about 7 or 8 o'clock) .....

JUhP0RE.jpg

To arrive at this correct position once screwed in, start the worm with the arm pointing to about the 3 o'clock position .....

6E1YAYB.jpg
Would doing this require me to drain the oil to take that side cover off?

Looks like you're missing the left spacer/dust cover, or is it on the axle?

Don't want to be a wet blanket, and it could be my eyesight or optical illusion ...........looks like the rim could have some damage, (looks like it is out of round), between the arrows in the pic.
PXL_20201230_204414826 n copy.jpg

Yes, you've got it. It's that spacer with the tin shroud attached to it on the left.

that isn't to hard to get out if it is just the lip of the rim. Shape a piece of timber to the round of the rim and the lip can be hit back into place. The end of a piece of 4x2, (shaped), held against the lip and hit with a hammer. it will move and it isn't so bad that it is dangerous.

You can clearly see the flat spot as it spins. Try what Skull suggested. Nothing to lose at this point.
Well sad day.

Here is an album of the wheel spinning. It also was low on air so I put some in it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ur4Qv357u8tWqi2z5

One thing to notice is it always stops in the same position (stem on top)

So outside of trying to bang it straight. Im pretty much shit out of luck. If I installed the wheel as is I should expect a unrideable and potentially dangerous experience?

So outside of trying to bang it straight. Im pretty much shit out of luck. If I installed the wheel as is I should expect a unrideable and potentially dangerous experience?
You'd prolly be OK just putterin'.... say, 30-40 mph or less. Highway speeds might get a bit dicey... especially if it's got a heavy spot to go with the flat one.
Without me goin' back through 16 pages... tell me again why you're replacing the rear wheel?

You'd prolly be OK just putterin'.... say, 30-40 mph or less. Highway speeds might get a bit dicey... especially if it's got a heavy spot to go with the flat one.
Without me goin' back through 16 pages... tell me again why you're replacing the rear wheel?
Rear wheel on it now is not stock. It also has 3 broken spokes. It also has a high tooth sprocket on it. So instead of trying to fix the old wheel. I was opting to find a stock wheel to slap on her.

Well don't give up on it yet. Pull the tire off it... tire looks shot anyway. Take a 2x4, round the end to conform to the rims circumference and start smackin'. It'll take a bit, but you should be able to remove most, if not all of the flat spot.
Just curious, was it presented as having a damaged rim?

Well don't give up on it yet. Pull the tire off it... tire looks shot anyway. Take a 2x4, round the end to conform to the rims circumference and start smackin'. It'll take a bit, but you should be able to remove most, if not all of the flat spot.
Just curious, was it presented as having a damaged rim?
The guy I bought it from was from this site. It was not presented 'verbally' with being damaged. I was just presented with 4 pictures of each wheel he had. He had 3 wheels to choose from - two of them being heritage ones. This was the only wheel still on a bike. The other two options were removed without tires.

Last edited:
Back