New 650 parallel twin for Royal Enfield 270* crank + 4v head

Quite a bit different from the last Interceptor engine.

2018-RoyalEnfield650.jpg

I'll be watching this one...

mmm intresting, wonder what the price will be , not sure if would buy the 1st model out as the 500 and 350 has problems that have never been fully ironed out

Now THATS what I'm talkin' about!!!

gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme......:heart::bike:

Our local R/Enfield dealer said the bike was delayed for a year to " de-bug " it prior to it hitting the US market. I'll see it at the I.M.S. next month.. that and the Himalaya ...
I thought it was go'n to be a 750... think the powers that be it wasn't the barf ugly " L " twin they first designed use'n 500 Bullet heads. I thought Honda had the rights to " Interceptor " ..?...

Last edited:
R/Enfield dealer... ? yes.. dealerships are pop'n up all over the states... both coast.. Midwest, southern states... not many from Montana and due south yet... but I'm told R/Enfield is try'n to enter those areas asap.
I wouldn't have purchased one years ago.. had the same issues it's British cousin had... leak'd oil and leak'd electricity ... but with electric start, fuel injection and other improvements they have a following. You have to be willing to accept the parameters of the basic design. My unit (with sidecar) will cruise along at 55-60..load'd, loves back roads.. but avoid interstates... you'll get a "Peterbuilt" enema .. !

When I was looking for a bike 18 months ago the R/E North America rebrand was just getting underway. As I understand it, there had been an importer supporting a network of dealerships. RENA was rolling up those dealerships to put them in the big multi-brand stores instead. For quite some time while I was keeping abreast of it, there were no more than five dealerships in the States for months.

My local shop had one left on the floor, but I was nervous to buy it knowing my closest dealership would be a long day's drive away.

Then I found an XS650 with no shop, no dealer, no warranty, but a great forum. I went for it.

Think there's a dealer in Scottsdale.. ? Most help fill the show room floor with other brands.. only one or two independent RE dealerships to date.

Yes, the W650 and the SR400 sputtered. The Royal Enfield has a long and varied history. They have been in constant production for ever, Not sure just when the first ones came out.
Started in England and were produced in India. Have been since.
The history is just as valid as Harley, Indian. Triumph, BSA, and a host of other brands.
This history is why this new version will probably be a success.
Leo

I think they will be more successful in India and the 3rd world than here, maybe catch on in Europe a bit. I agree, let them sort the bugs out for a couple years before I'd consider one. I've always had a soft spot for the new Bonnie but very few used ones pop up in my area. Either they haven't sold many around me or the people who buy them never sell them, lol.

The other thing about R-E is that they have a GIGANTIC market in the Indian subcontinent over which to spread R&D and tooling costs plus a huge base of customers to gain experience on a new model. The other brands are all small volume specialty brands but R-E probably makes upwards of 4-50,000 bikes per month - or maybe even more (granted - the majority of these would be the smaller consumer models in India).

They are more on the scale of a Toyota or VW (8-10M units/year) than a BMW which barely makes a million.

Last edited:
" It is a 4 stroke, 270 degree crank, single overhead cam, air-oil cooled, 648cc parallel twin engine developing a power of 47bhp@7100rpm and 52 Nm of torque at 4000 rpm."

From the March 1977 Cycle road test of the XS 650 C the RE's power and torque are only slightly up. Not much progress in 40 years despite the extra valves and fuel injection. Hopefully some tuners will get hold of it.
Very nice looking engine though.

I think it was purposely made in such a mild state of tune to deal with the low grade fuels they have in those 3rd world countries. It will probably run on just about anything that burns, lol.

Back