New 74 xs owner and rider.

The poor thing has been sitting in the mothballs for several years, just hanging out in my basement. Im placing an order today at mikes xs for new plug boots, wires, fuel tank pitcocks, new master cylinder, and upper and lower hoses. the tires hold air for now, Im going to do some short trips and test the clutch. Is there an adjustment on the clutch at all? (previous owner commented the clutch was weak, and that was why he parked it)

The poor thing has been sitting in the mothballs for several years, just hanging out in my basement. Im placing an order today at mikes xs for new plug boots, wires, fuel tank pitcocks, new master cylinder, and upper and lower hoses. the tires hold air for now, Im going to do some short trips and test the clutch. Is there an adjustment on the clutch at all? (previous owner commented the clutch was weak, and that was why he parked it)

The bike sat for another two years, but I put 60 miles on yesterday. My first 60 motorcycle miles. Runs pretty good, but the mids, lowers and primary are leaking oil.

If it still has stock charging, open the regulator check for stuck points.
This covers the usual adjustment and replacement options. I have 2 daily riders with mechanical regulators, and 2 XS with electronic regulators, they all work "just fine", I suppose I will do a VR115 conversion one day, shrug.

Here's an updated diagram for the regulator adjusting .....

QMb3A1k.jpg

Also, recently I ran across this bit of info in an XS750 triple manual. It uses the same mechanical regulator as the 650. Apparently you need to check it every 8K miles .....

DrTAJ6y.jpg

wow. thanks! i may not have ruined the battery after all, it seems to have taken a charge after topping off the water. but i will definitely check these things. Im ordering a gasket kit, so i can hopefully fix all of these oil leaks. Also, is the primary separate from the rest of the engine as far as lubrication?

You may need an engine seal kit too. Mine leaked all over the place too when I got it. It was like the Exxon Valdez on two wheels, lol. I got a seal kit and a gasket kit, and I eventually used most of the stuff in both. No separate oil supplies, just the oil in the crankcase lubing everything.

Oh yes, pretty much every one of these needs the head bolts checked when you get it. If the factory rubber/metal washers are still in use under the 4 outside acorn nuts on top of the head, you will most likely find those loose. The rest maybe, maybe not, but check them all.

Electrical issue solved. Positive cable was mis routed and rubbing on the frame intermittently. Also, adjusted the clutch, and it kicks better too

Back