new xs650 owner

normanpitkin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just bought myself a project bike so I will be asking for loads of help and advice with it. I've wanted one of these for a long time and I won this one on ebay. It wants a lot of work but it means I can do what I want to it.:)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 228
I don't know yet. I like all styles of customisation but I am drawn to flat tracker, cafe racer or just restore it as it is for practicality. I've looked at your pics and I like what your doing to yours. What do you think?

Thanks very much! I've always wanted to do a hardtail bobber, so thats the current plan. However, the next build I do will definately be a cafe racer, I just like the style. And that's my advice really, build what you want to have and ride. Everyone has their thing but these bikes are pretty versatile and lend themselves to a wide range of genres.

Do you know anything about rephasing the crank? I've read a few posts on some forums and I like the sound of it but don't know where to start with doing it.

Do you know anything about rephasing the crank? I've read a few posts on some forums and I like the sound of it but don't know where to start with doing it.

hugh can rephase, but like me he's over here in the colonies. :D not sure who can do it for you in your neck of the woods.

here is a link from his site with descriptions.
http://hughshandbuilt.com/products-services/rephased-xs650-engine/

i need new rods so i will be sending my crank and cam to him soon.

Thanks Deadchef. There is someone who does it in the UK, I was thinking more of what is required after fitting a rephased crank, like ignitipn timing, electrics etc.

Hi, I was watching that one on ebay, was trying to work out why they went to the trouble of making it look like a complete bike with the engine in, as it would have had to have been removed for the amount of parts missing from it, from the description it sounds like the engine will need a very thorough going through, better hope the rest of the engine is in better condition than the rusty cam on the floor.

Hello Jay, they have put it together to make it look better than it is. Got some keys cut for it today and had a first tentative look at the engine. It is a right mess. What I can see without taking the engine out is rusted solid valve rockers and valves. Oh well better get stuck in and get it sorted. :) One good thing is the inside of the tank doesn't look too bad, some rust treatment should sort it out.

I've not been on for three years. Bikes finished, MOT'ed taxed and insured. just some cosmetics to finish. It has been an emotional rollercoaster this restoration. It has been close to being sold several times. I stuck with it though and love riding it. Before and after pics.

Attachments

• XS650.5.JPG
    XS650.5.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Rebuild (33).jpg
    Rebuild (33).jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 177
Looking good normanpitkin! Congrats on hanging in and getting er done.

I've not been on for three years. Bikes finished, MOT'ed taxed and insured. just some cosmetics to finish. It has been an emotional rollercoaster this restoration. It has been close to being sold several times. I stuck with it though and love riding it. Before and after pics.
Hi Norm,
congratulations on completing that nice resurrection where many another would have quit.
But you ain't finished yet.
Either put the front fender back on or fit a sturdy fork brace instead or your steering will lose a lot of it's precision.
Brinelled head race bearings will do that too. Most swap in a tapered roller kit as an upgrade.
Note that the stock front brake master cylinder has a piston of ~twice the area it needs to operate a single stock brake caliper.
If you haven't already done this, swap in an 11mm or 12mm m/c to get better braking. Stainless brake lines also help.

Back