No-title barn find... Input please

Pardee

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Got a fairly good deal on a barn-find XS.

Unfortunately, I can't find the original owner to get the bike titled in Ohio.
The bike hasn't been on the road since 1980.

Complete bike minus side covers, 10,173 miles, and the bike runs.

Going to check the VIN with the DMV to ensure it was never reported stolen.
Unfortunately, I don't believe I can get a title without the original owner.

I would love to do a cafe build on this, but I will not dump a penny into it until I know it's in my name.

Any suggestions?

I may go that rpoute and swap everything to the titled frame.

If anyone is building a track bike, I would consider swapping for a titled frame.

when you talk to the guys at the DMV, ask them what to do. I know youre not the only one with that problem in ohio. plenty before you. Im sure they have a process to go through to get a new buyer a lost title. may take some time. Have you tried your counties dmv pages on the web?

"I purchased a vehicle in-state or out-of-state and the seller did not provide me with a title. I have a bill of sale. What do I do?

Contact the Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7671."

Spoke to my contact at the local title office.

I was told, if the VIN comes back clean, I can complete the bike, make sure signals, horn, ect... are working properly and take it to Lima, OH to have it inspected.

They will title it as a rebuild or a kit title.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the VIN on hand when I called.
Having the VIN ran today. I'll post updates.

Step 2: I've gotta call Indiana and try to get the VIN checked.
(The chain guard has the original dealer sticker from Indiana on it)

Contacted the dealership to see if they can help find who the original owner or title holder is.

No records in Ohio, and I'm not sure that the system will support it since it's a 9-digit VIN.

Cant your file for abandoned vehicle? Here in Va (Which is a pita to get titled) If its been that long they send a certified letter to the last registered address, If no one responds after a month you go onto the next step. Doing that for mine now (Last registered in 86)
Mine didnt even show up in the system so its going pretty smooth :)

In Ohio, it looks like the vehicle had to be left on private property or a repair shop for a certain amount of time in order for it to legally be abandoned.

That's why I want to have the frame VIN checked to ensure it's clean.
It's probably been passed along from person to person, or sitting in someone's garage for years.

Mine went through at least a dozen owners as a "parts bike"
I know here technically a vehicle left on property for over 48 hours is considered abandoned. And you dont have to have proof. Just the paperwork filed and previous owners contacted. If no response you have to "Post Intent to Auction" and shortly there after youre free and clear

Here we can pay the DMV to give us the last registered owner's address. Send them form from DMV. If it comes back as returned to sender then take that to DMV and get a new title. There might be a step or two more but basically that's it.

No title=parts bike. Most places it ain't worth the hassle. Find one with a title.
Leo

No title=parts bike. Most places it ain't worth the hassle. Find one with a title.
Leo

There are many options before it comes to this in my opinion... phone calls and paperwork Are free. If you can find a good bike for cheap because of the title issue I always still say it can be worth it as long as the bike is not stoln... I've done many bikes and cars in Virginia which is a pain state to get a title... I've used Title Services like ITS. I have done the out of state method, I've even track down a little old lady who was a previous owner and got a signature. My current project was free because it had a lost title about 25 years ago. I have about 35 dollars in fees invested in getting the title and I should have one within this month. Our bikes are all older so there are many states that do not require a title there is definitely ways around it.

You can deffinately go the Vermont route. You only need a bill of sale and can be from anywhere in the country and do it through the mail. I'm getting ready to do it myself for an old kz I just got.

You can deffinately go the Vermont route. You only need a bill of sale and can be from anywhere in the country and do it through the mail. I'm getting ready to do it myself for an old kz I just got.

evidently they are starting to crack down on that some now... that was my original plan but a couple other people I know did not have success... yet I have seen some that have gone through no problems

Yeah not sure why. I'm 20min from vt and I know a lot of people locally that have done it with no issues. I'll be trying it shortly so we'll see.

Back