She's got a question on: swaping wheels

So....this is what I started with - runs great no issues....well, just that it's not quite my style.

full

So I started taking stuff off... (carefully - just in case I needed to put it back on!)

full

full

Then I shorten it up a little and made a new seat pan.

full

full

I made a few sketches and took my seat plans, pan and old seat to my friend Dave who does great work and 24 hours later I was bringing her home - new and improved!

full

Welded on a few tabs for the taillight and signals, reused the stock license plate mount and mounted new euro bars and grips

full

full

full

Next up:
Wheels, wiring and damn those side covers....

How did you mount the seat, I'm looking to making a seat pan like that myself and wasn't sure how I should attach it to the frame.

How did you mount the seat, I'm looking to making a seat pan like that myself and wasn't sure how I should attach it to the frame.

It took longer to think it up than it did to actually do it -

To secure the back I picked up a 1"x7" or 1"x8" (whatever the width of the seat frame is) steel bracket from Home Depot. It was about a 1/4" thick it has 4-5 holes staggered down the middle. I welded it to the frame just about 2" below the rear hoop.

To secure the front i used the stock hardware from my old seat and bolted it onto the bottom of my seat pan so it hooked into the frame just as the stock seat did.

Once the seat was in place i marked the rear holes from underneath the seat using 2 of the bracket holes and drilled those holes into the seat pan. Welded on nuts to the top of the pan over the holes and used 3inch bolts to secure from underneath the seat.

Like I said...pretty easy....just had to improvise since i shortend the seat up a few inches.

UPDATE:
Wheels are on and i must say...came out even better than i expected. Special thank you to plane_ben (even though we had to wait on the Pony Express!). :thumbsup:

next up - I'll be rerouting the cables to clean up the bars a bit and trying to figure out how to get those ugly reflector brackets off the rear shocks. Suggestions?

(camera phone - excuse the blur)

Attachments

• new shoes.jpg
    new shoes.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 123
  • new shoes 2.jpg
    new shoes 2.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 120
  • rear wheel close.jpg
    rear wheel close.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Spokes look good. I like the overall look of your ride too. It's turning out nice. That blue will wash off the white walls right?

On the shocks. Is the reflector bracket on both sides? You could just turn the shock 180, and put the bracket on the inside.

Bike looks good! I would remove the front fender, I know it is not very practical but it looks good. Just my two cents

Bike is rocking! Making me jealous of the spokes, I have mags and want spokes as well. But I have to get it running right first.

bradshaw106 - re: front fender...i'm still tossing that one around. We took it off while changing the wheels and I did like the look...but not sure about all the crap from the road hitting me. i think i saw bits of fur on the bottom of that fender!!!

XSJoel - thanks!

Back