She's got a question on: swaping wheels

thatsMZ650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance for all the help i'm sure to receive here! After a 10mo. search I've found my first 2-wheel love - a 81' xs650 :bike:. She was delivered yesterday here in Cleveland OH, but due to the RAIN we didn't get to spend too much time together. Today, under 2ft of SNOW she's stuck in the garage - gotta love winter in the mid-west.:shrug:

Anyway, I'm mapping out brat/bobber project this weekend and attempting to locate parts and figuring out what i may need to fabricate on my own. I'm completly stuck on the wheels. I want to swap out my mags for spokes (19" F and 18" R) WITH whitewalls. I'd prefer to just buy a wheel package but after 2weeks of searching, i fear it's not going to be that simple. Budget = $600.

Can somebody help a girl out?!?!?!?

_DSC3804.jpg

This is the look i'm going for - btw...any suggestions on building this seat?

Thanks!
MZ360

Last edited:
The most I can help is to say Ebay, Craigs list. They can often be found as just a front or rear wheel. Being an 81 it has a drum rear mag, an easy swap for a spoked wheel. Any thing from a 73 up to 77-78 spoke wheels will fit 79 had a spoke rear but it was a 16 inch. As were the 82 up.
On the front wheel the 73-76 used a two piece brake rotor. It has a different offset. Your 81 rotor will bolt right on the wheel and work fine.
There is a set of spoke wheels on now $99.95 starting bid. They came off a TX750, thats a good thing. The TX750 has larger rear brakes. The rear wheel pic shows the axle and adjusters too. The tires are supposed to be new never ridden.
The front wheel has the axle and speedo drive, as well as the brake rotor.
Seems a bit pricey. Shipping is $36.95 on each. If the tires are usable they might be Worth it.
I might shop around a bit more though.

a few web sites for parts are mikes xs, dime city cycles and like xsleo said...flebay and craigs list. However, i thing you can ask for parts and information on this forum and get the best results.

Good luck

That's all VERY helpful - i've been on both ebay and CL but a little unsure about what years will fit.

I'll take a look now.

Any suggestions on where to purchase the wheels and tires new (just in case)?

Thanks again XSLeo :)

You won't find new wheels that will be a direct bolt on item. You could buy used hubs/wheels and have someone clean them, build wheels using new spokes and rims from MikesXS and install tires. That's about as new as your going to get but you'll still have original hubs.

Makes sense...Travis do you know off hand what size i should be looking for. If these tires are anything like car tires and i know there are a lot of different numbers.

(sorry guys....i'm new at this)

On Ebay just search "xs wheels" you will find lots of mag wheels.
New rims to lace to a set of hubs, yes you can get them complete new wheels not so much.
Oh, forgot earlier, Welcome to the board.
The 18 inch rear a 110/90-18 or 120/90-18, front a 100/90-19 or a 110/90-19 are popular sizes. the 16 inch rear works well as a 130/90-16

I've got a set of spoked wheels from an '82 special. Front 19", rear 16". You can have them for shipping if you want. I can send or post up pics if interested.

Ben

well, any thing to help some one out. I just laced up a set of drums on 23" rims for my next project. I bought this extra frame as a roller just for the title. Don't need the extra wheels. So they will go to a good home. I'll get some pics up tomarrow.

Hope you stick around. And thatsMZ650 too. That makes three members of the distaff persuasion here that I know about. I am truly impressed.

First you need to up the anty on MONEY. Ebay is going to kill you on price for wheels and shipping. Great deals go fast. You can get tires from TIRES UNLIMITED Most places don't have that 18 rear in White Wall They do for around $100.00 bucks. What you can also do if you want steel wheels buy a HONDA CB 550 rear spoke wheel its 18 and you may find one easy SAME AXLE and drum brake Front wheels are on here good prices for steel wheels. There are plenty of very good builders on here so ask questions. They will all help a LADY in Distress. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD

Attachments

• ww small.JPG
    ww small.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 125
I seem to remember there's been guy in the Shops section of this site offering a service to whitewall regular tires. I don't know anything about him, the process, and etc.

Back