Shop Lighting Tip

Here is a better picture
z1 copy.jpg

Timely thread since one of my four-tube fluorescent fixtures went dark. I researched a little and since I couldn't find any four-tube LED fixtures that would match the six I already have in my garage I opted to replace the fluorescent tubes with LED tubes. The tubes themselves were on sale at Lowes for $10 for four.
IMG_1730.JPG
Holy cow these things are bright. They make the regular fluorescents I have (which are 6700K too) look yellow. The four tube fixtures are on clearance at Lowes for $41 so I picked up 2 more. I'll be replacing the regular fluorescents I already have with these. Pretty good upgrade for $2.50 a bulb and you can use the fixtures you already have as long as you are using an electronic ballast.

Hmmmmm.....that is a VERY tempting upgrade to the Disaster Central Workshop.

Now how would a fella determine if he had an electronic ballast?

Pete

Last edited:
Now how would a fella determine if he had an electronic ballast?
Pete
Most of the newer fixtures are electronic. You can also pull the cover and check the ballast. it will say Electronic or Magnetic. I replaced all my ballasts several years ago when I upgraded the old-style 40W tubes to the 32W tubes. You can purchase the ballasts separately for less than $20.

ahhhh - okey dokey!

I installed these fixtures about 20 years ago - and have been using the reduced power 32W tubes ever since - but my old peepers would now benefit from the brighter LED lights I think.

QUESTION: Am I correct in assuming that if it says "Magnetic" - these tubes will not work?

Thanks - those tubes look like a terrific upgrade indeed! They will go nicely with my existing 48" unit that has the built-in Bluetooth(tm) speaker that links to my iPhone / iPad / iWhatever.

Thanks for the insights,

Pete

View attachment 114133 What is a passel? Like a bushel? - - -

Hi angus,
Machinery's Handbook says a US or Winchester struck bushel is a volumetric measurement of 1.2445 Cubic Feet
while a British Imperial bushel is a volumetric measurement of 1.2837 Cubic Feet.
OTOH I can find no definition of a passel and have assumed it to be a colloquial term, perhaps some portion of a shitload?

QUESTION: Am I correct in assuming that if it says "Magnetic" - these tubes will not work?
Yes, From what I have read and the instructions with the tubes they are only compatible with the electronic ballasts.
Too bad my fixtures are being discontinued I would love to get a couple more. However, as it is, I'm pretty sure my garage can be seen from space when it is lit :)

After reading the previous posts, I upgraded the lights in my garage. One fixture was brand-new from Wally-World ($20.00!), the other, I upgraded using replacement LED tubes. These tubes will supposedly work with whatever ballast was in the old fixtures. I'll bet mine were electronic, since they weren't that old. They are instant, bright, and don't care how cold my garage is! Thanks, Downeaster, for starting this thread!

Lighting is a key consideration for those of who are....shall we say, less junior....;)

As for the definition of the term "passel" - yes, I think that Fred has captured it very well: "a sh!tload".

Pete

I bet you get all the light faster than cold fluorescents do too.

View attachment 113992 I bought these 8’ single row LED lights for $20 each. They flush mount with 2 screws and are inter-connected to each other. I got mine from a guy on CL, he must have bought in bulk and was selling cheap. They really light up my shop. I still use a halogen over my workbench for specific focus area, but I am very happy with them.

View attachment 113991
Love your shop. Been watching from the beginning, looking very nice.

It may vary from region to region as the Bureau of Standards hasn't addressed it yet, but in Maine, a "passel" is 1/4 of a shitload.

The scale, in increasing order is:

Bunch
Bundle
Group
Grunch
Grundle
Passel
Shitload
Cubic Shitload

Back